The Holy Grail Of Low Carb Pizzas – Fat Head Pizza
Update – now even better, super thin crust –
Fat head pizza is famous in the low carb world. If you miss pizza since going low carb, then Fat Head Pizza is for you. It is grain free, gluten free, low carb and incredibly filling. The base is made from cheese, cream cheese, an egg and ground almonds/almond flour – that’s it! My children now prefer this to regular pizza, and they make it themselves. One of the best things we can do as a parent, is to teach our children to cook, bake and experiment with eating new and exciting recipes. It is a gift we can pass to our children for the rest of their lives. Cooking is a life skill, ordering pizza from an app isn’t – although you may beg to differ on that one 😉
Does an entire pizza normally disappear before your eyes? When you eat traditional pizza with a wheat base, do you eat and eat and eat and cannot stop at just 1 or 2 slices, well no way with Fat Head Pizza. Add a side salad and you’ve got a great Friday night movie meal. This is incredibly rich, but that’s the point, you cannot overindulge.
For anyone who doesn’t know, Fat Head Movie is a comedy-documentary by Tom Naughton (comedian and former health writer). The documentary explains how low cholesterol is unhealthy, saturated fat does not cause heart disease but instead sugars, grains, starches and processed vegetable oils do. This is one of his short clips titled “Saturated fat and Cholesterol Lies”.
Add All Your Favourite Toppings such as –
- Tomato paste (unsweetened)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sausage meat
- Spinach and crack an egg on top
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage
- More cheese
- 170g / 6 oz / 1¾ cups (approx) shredded/grated cheese (mozzarella is the best or Edam/mild cheese)
- 85g / 3 oz / ¾ cup almond flour/meal
- 2 tbs cream cheese
- 1 egg
- +/- salt to taste
- ½ tsp dried rosemary/ garlic or other flavourings (optional)
- your choice of toppings such as pepperoni, peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives, ground/mince beef, mushrooms, herbs etc
- Put the shredded/grated cheese and cream cheese in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, salt, rosemary (or other flavourings) and ground almonds, mix gently.
- Place in between 2 baking parchment/paper and roll into a circular pizza shape. Remove the top baking parchment. If the mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again but not too long or you will cook the egg.
- Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Place the baking sheet with the pizza base on a baking tray or pizza stone, and bake at 220C/425F for 12-15 minutes, or until brown.
- To make it really crispy and study, flip the pizza over once the top has baked to a golden colour. I turn the pizza onto the baking parchment I used to roll out the pizza base, then slide it back onto the baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and add all the toppings you like. Make sure any meat is already cooked as this time it goes back into the oven just to heat up the toppings and melt the cheese. Bake again at 220C/425F for 5 minutes.
Compare the nutrition panels of a wheat based pizza crust with the Fat Head Pizza base (in brackets)
Carbs 27g (4g) – Protein 3.8g (11g) – Fat 3.4g (16.8g) – in addition the regular pizza will contain gluten and if store bought, preservative, artificial flavourings and probably some trans fats. Also remember you will only eat 1 or 2 slices of Fat Head Pizza compared to half to 1 regular pizza.
Have you tried low carb pizzas yet? Do you have another recipe to recommend? What are your low carb topping ideas? Have you tried the FatHead crackers?
How to give up sugar - FREE 5 day mini course
Discover how to give up sugar for life! Sign up for my FREE 5 day mini course.
You will learn how to ...
- See how sugar is hiding from you
- Learn to eat out and stay sugar free
- Snack smarter
- See what's in my pantry
- Keep the momentum going and live sugar free for life!