Welcome and get ready, Fat Head pizza is the low carb recipe the entire internet is going crazy over.
Not only is it absolutely fabulous, delicious and low carb. It is wheat free, grain free, and better than any regular pizza you will ever taste – Fat Head pizza is seriously amazing (just read the comments at the end of the post if you don’t believe me).
The Holy Grail Of Low Carb Pizzas – Fat Head Pizza
Update – now even better, super thin crust
Fat Head pizza is famous in the low carb world. If you miss pizza since going low carb, then Fat Head Pizza is for you. It is grain free, gluten free, low carb and incredibly filling. The base is made from cheese, cream cheese, an egg and ground almonds/almond flour – that’s it!
My children now prefer this to regular pizza, and they make it themselves.
One of the best things we can do as a parent, is to teach our children to cook, bake and experiment with eating new and exciting recipes. It is a gift we can pass to our children for the rest of their lives. Cooking is a life skill, ordering pizza from an app isn’t – although you may beg to differ on that one 😉
Fat Head pizza vs high carb pizza
Does an entire pizza normally disappear before your eyes? When you eat traditional pizza with a wheat base, do you eat and eat and eat and cannot stop at just one or two slices? There is no way you can over-eat with Fat Head Pizza.
Fat Head pizza is incredibly rich, but that’s the point, you cannot overindulge. Most people can only handle one, or possibly two, slices. Add a side salad and you’ve got a great Friday night movie meal.
You may also be interested in Fat Head crackers and green Fat Head pizza. They are both quick and easy to make. So next time you make Fat Head pizza, my top tip to you is make a double base then make one of these as well.
Fat Head the movie
For anyone who doesn’t know, Fat Head Movie is a comedy-documentary by Tom Naughton (comedian and former health writer). The documentary explains how low cholesterol is unhealthy, saturated fat does not cause heart disease but instead sugars, grains, starches and processed vegetable oils do.
This is one of his short clips titled “Saturated fat and Cholesterol Lies”.
How To Make The Fat Head Pizza Base
Add All Your Favourite Toppings such as –
- Tomato paste (unsweetened)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sausage meat
- Spinach and crack an egg on top
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage
- More cheese
- 170g / 6 oz / 1¾ cups (approx) pre shredded/grated cheese (mozzarella is the best or Edam/mild cheese)
- 85g / 3 oz / ¾ cup almond flour/meal
- 2 tbs cream cheese
- 1 egg
- +/- salt to taste
- ½ tsp dried rosemary/ garlic or other flavourings (optional)
- your choice of toppings such as pepperoni, peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives, ground/mince beef, mushrooms, herbs etc
- Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, salt, rosemary and any other flavourings, mix gently.
- Place in between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper and roll into a circular pizza shape (see photos above). Remove the top baking paper/parchment. If the mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again but not too long or you will cook the egg.
- Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Slide the baking paper/parchment with the pizza base, on a baking tray (cookie tray) or pizza stone, and bake at 220C/425F for 12-15 minutes, or until brown.
- To make the base really crispy and sturdy, flip the pizza over (onto baking paper/parchment) once the top has browned.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and add all the toppings you like. Make sure any meat is already cooked as this time it goes back into the oven just to heat up the toppings and melt the cheese. Bake again at 220C/425F for 5 minutes.
NUTRITION – wheat based pizza crust VS Fat Head Pizza base (in brackets)
Carbs 27g (4g) – Protein 3.8g (11g) – Fat 3.4g (16.8g) – in addition the regular pizza will contain gluten and if store bought, preservative, artificial flavourings and probably some trans fats. Also remember you will only eat 1 or 2 slices of Fat Head Pizza compared to half to 1 regular pizza.
My Low carb starter pack contains everything you need to begin – 25 easy recipes for beginners, meal plan, shopping list, measurement trackers and easy to understand guides.
Take a look at one readers Fat Head pizzas. I just had to include this line up. He has lost 58kg in 38 weeks with “no medication, no gym and no shakes” “just real food”.
If you want to read more testimonials, take a look at the pages and pages of readers who have written their story. Weight loss, reversed type two diabetes, improvement of PCOS, clear skin, clarity of thought, improved concentration, depression lifted, inflammation and pain reduced.
For most, going LCHF has controlled their appetite for the first time ever. No longer are they constantly hungry, constantly eating and constantly feeling guilt over food. This isn’t a diet, it’s simply eating low carb whole food.
No sugars, no grains, no unhealthy oils.