Watch the quick video how to make cauliflower pizza. Low carb, grain free, gluten free and super healthy.
Cauliflower Pizza – who knew?
I bet you didn’t know just how versatile cauliflower was until you went low carb. This veggie powered cauliflower pizza is a fabulous low carb alternative to regular pizza. The quick video shows you how to make cauliflower pizza, step by step, and how to load it up with nutritious toppings.
How To Make Cauliflower Pizza – step by step guide
The taste of cauliflower pizza truly depends on which cheese you use, the addition of any herbs and spices to the base, and which toppings you place on top. If cauliflower pizza isn’t for you, try Fat Head Pizza, which is incredibly popular.
Take a look at what a regular pizza meal might look like in terms of carbs. And be truthful, do you have just one or two slices? And don’t think vegetarian pizzas are any healthier, in fact Pizza Hut Vege Supreme and Tropical Veg pizza were amongst the worst (see below).
Keep an eye out for the sides, chips, breaded onion rings, sticky spare ribs (pork spare ribs 43.6g carbs/serve (40.9g sugar) ) soda, ice cream, garlic bread, extra cheese all add up to a carb fest, and all the wheat, sugars, grains and unhealthy fats that go into them.How to make cauliflower pizza - step by step cooking video included.Click To Tweet
Serve the cauliflower pizza with a side salad loaded with greens and healthy oils and you have a wonderful nutritious meal. Cauliflower pizza is high in protein and healthy fats, low in carbs, gluten free and a good source of Vit C, Vit K, folate, magnesium, B6 and potassium, just to name a few.
Carb Values For Pizzas & Sides
Pizza Hut – Vege Supreme pizza 38.6g/large slice – Seasoned chips 68.4g/serve – Chocolate mousse 21g/serve (20.2g sugar) – Pepsi 600ml/20 oz 69g sugar. All the above with just 2 slices = 235g carbs
Hells Pizza – Temptation Pizza 42.3g/slice (12.2g sugar) – Kumara chips 112g/serve (53g sugar) – – Churros with choice dip 126g/serve (60g sugar) – Coke 600ml 64g sugar. All the above with just 2 slices = 386g carbs
Cut the cauliflower into smaller florets and blitz the cauliflower using a food processor until quite fine, but do not puree.
Steam them until soft, or microwave for 5 minutes.
Place the cooked, soft cauliflower onto a clean tea towel. Twist to remove all the liquid. If not enough liquid is removed, the pizza base will not crisp.
Place the drained, cooked cauliflower in a large mixing bowl and add the egg, seasoning, herbs and grated cheese. Mix well until a ball forms.
Prepare a baking tray lined with a non stick sheet or baking paper. Do not use a pizza stone as it will probably stick and not lift off easily.
Place the ball of cauliflower 'dough' onto the baking sheet and press out into a round pizza shape.
Spray the top with some olive oil to help it crisp, then bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes or until golden.
Add the toppings, cover with more cheese and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbling..
Tips To Keep In Mind –
- This is not like regular pizza dough, think of it as a different approach.
- All ovens vary so check frequently and adjust accordingly.
- Even if the crust falls apart when serving, it tastes darn good and just eat it with a knife and fork.
- Can also be baked in a cake tin or baking dish.
- Base can be flipped to make it more crispy on both sides.
- All meat toppings need to be cooked before adding as we just heat the base for a small time to allow the cheese to melt.
Topping Suggestions –
- SAUCES – Tomato paste or basil pesto instead of tomato sauce or BBQ sauce (both are incredibly high in sugars)
- VEGETABLES – Capsicums/peppers/spring onions/mushrooms/cherry tomatoes/olives
- MEATS – Salami/pepperoni/chorizo sausage
- GREENS – Kale/spinach/basil
- FLAVOURS – Garlic/sundried tomatoes/basil/rosemary/thyme/oregano/
More Low Carb Cauliflower Recipes –
- Mashed cauliflower
- Cauliflower rice
- Whole baked cauliflower
- Cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake
- Low carb shepherd’s pie with cauliflower mash
- Chicken coconut curry with cashew cauliflower rice
Leave a comment below on your favourite combination of toppings –
Subscribe now to receive your FREE copy of Top 10 low carb recipes eBook, my newsletter and secret discount codes for subscribers only.