Making a sugar free tiramisu has been on my mind for far too long, so when we were away a few months ago, I finally found time to make it.
You can make this as boozy as you like, alternatively, you can omit the alcohol entirely, especially if you are serving to children. Why not simply drizzle a little brandy over the top of individual servings for those who like it.
Sugar free tiramisu
Tiramisu generally starts with a very dry sponge, sponge fingers or two-day old sponge. If the sponge is dry, it allows the coffee and brandy liquid to be soaked up without going soggy.
I made a quick flourless sponge and cooked it for a little longer to allow it to dry out. I didn’t want to wait for two days to complete the recipe. Who does?I am in boozy tiramisu heaven - only 3.1g net carbs per slice!Click To Tweet
You can adapt the recipe to your liking by adjusting how strong you brew your coffee (I like mine really strong) and how much brandy you add. You can even make this alcohol free by using brandy essence.
Sugar free tiramisu flourless sponge
This is my flourless sponge which I slightly overcooked to ensure it was dry enough for the sugar free tiramisu. I adapted the recipe from my flourless berry sponge cake, just omitting the berries. The flourless sponge is an adaptable recipe and I am sure it will feature in many more sugar free and low carb recipes in the future.
After it had cooled, I sliced it and left it uncovered for a few hours whilst I made the cream and coffee/brandy layers.
- 110g / 4 oz / 1 stick butter melted
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 3 -5 tbs granulated stevia, or sweetener of choice, to taste
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup very strong coffee
- brandy (optional or use brandy essence)
- 1 cup heavy/double/whipping cream
- 2-4 tbsp sweetener of choice to taste
- brandy to taste (optional or use brandy essence)
- 40g / 1.5 oz dark 90% chocolate to decorate (optional)
- Mix the melted butter, coconut flour, sweetener, vanilla and baking powder together until smooth.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing in between each addition.
- Pour into an oiled and lined loaf tin.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20-25 minutes until cooked in the centre.
- Once it is cool, cut into 1cm / ½ inch slices and leave to dry for a few hours, or leave them to dry overnight and make the tiramisu the following day.
- Mix the coffee and brandy together then drizzle over the sponge slices. I find this easier than dipping them in the coffee, as they have a tendency to fall apart.
- Whip the cream with the sweetener until it is firm. Stir through the brandy/essence if using.
- In your serving dish, place carefully half the sponge slices that have been drizzled with the coffee and brandy. Make sure they sit tightly together.
- Spread half the whipped cream mixture on top.
- Place the remaining sponge slices along the top.
- Spread the remaining cream to cover the top, then finally, drizzle melted dark chocolate across the top to decorate.
- Allow the sugar free tiramisu to sit in the fridge for at least an hour for all the flavours and layers to settle together.
FREE eBook - 15 Low Carb Healthy Treats
Subscribe now to receive your FREE copy of Low Carb Healthy Treats eBook. You also receive secret discount codes for subscribers only.