These sugar free gingerbread men are also gluten free, grain free and made with whole food ingredients. They are fun to make and fun to eat. They will help keep your children sugar free whilst still enjoying baking together. Read my top tips below, if you’re hopeless at icing/frosting.
Sugar Free Gingerbread Men
The irony after naming these sugar free gingerbread men, is that I have just realised (now I have finished the graphics on all the images) that there are actually only two little gingerbread men in the photos. I wrote this post in December, so maybe the cookies reflect my state of mind at this time of year.
I do like the festive shapes of the angels, trees, hearts and stars. My son’s did make some trains and dinosaurs, but they never made their way into the shot (the cookies ‘disappeared’ somehow).I just found these amazing #sugarfree gingerbread men. Fun to make, & made with #wholefood #realfood ingredients. Click To Tweet
Why not make some cute little sugar free gingerbread men or festive shapes for Christmas gifts this year? I have some FREE printable gift tags for you on the low carb Christmas mince pies page. These sugar free gingerbread men would look beautiful wrapped in clear cellophane and ribbon. Simple, yet elegant.
At Christmas time, it is almost impossible to keep the heavy sugar treats from the children, without them feeling like they’re missing out. Now you can make these super cute and super easy sugar free gingerbread men instead.
Tips for a better dough
These sugar free gingerbread men are a little tricky to roll out, especially if you are used to the gluten in wheat flour, but I have found rolling them between two sheets of baking parchment saves them from sticking to the kitchen worktop, saves washing up and they pull away cleanly. Take a look at how I roll out my pizza dough, I use the same method.
You may also need to adjust how firm or sticky the dough is. Almond flour will absorb more liquid than if you use almond meal. The dough will also reflect the temperature and humidity. So if your gingerbread dough is too sticky, add a little more almond flour/meal, and if it is too dry, add a few drops of water.
Tips for icing/frosting
If you are lousy at icing/frosting gingerbread men (or really can’t be bothered) then throw some icing in between the gingerbread men and sandwich them together. Just call them gingerbread ‘sandwiches’ and everyone will be impressed at how creative you are.
This is a great recipe to be used all year round and with all types of cookie cutters. You can even adapt or remove the spices to make a sturdy almond cookie. So whether you are reading this at Christmas time or mid year, these are great little sugar free gingerbread men (or gingerbread cookies) to make.
- 110g/ 1 stick butter softened
- 2 - 4 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice, to your taste
- 1 egg
- 2 cups almond meal/flour
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp cream cheese (regular, not spreadable)
- powdered sweetener to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix the butter and sweetener together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Add all the other dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Adjust the dough with extra almond flour or water until the dough is the right consistency to be rolled out.
- Roll between two sheets of baking parchment, cut out various shapes using cookie cutters and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 10-12 minutes or until cooked (cooking times will vary considerably for this recipe and how crispy you like your gingerbread men). Once cooked, you may want to turn them upside down and bake for a further minute to ensure they are crisp.
- Microwave for 10-15 seconds or heat on the stove gently to soften (not melt) the butter and cream cheese together. Mix.
- Add the vanilla and add sweetener to taste. Mix.
- Allow to cool slightly and thicken enough to be able to be piped onto the gingerbread men.
- If the icing/frosting is too thick, add a few drops of water, if too thin, allow to cool in the fridge to allow the butter and cream cheese to solidify slightly.
To keep low carb and on track this season, you may wish to look at –
FREE eBook - 15 Low Carb Healthy Treats
Subscribe now to receive your FREE copy of Low Carb Healthy Treats eBook. You also receive secret discount codes for subscribers only.