OK so maybe technically this isn't an ice cream but more of a frozen yoghurt, but that's what my children call it and what a lovely change to store bought ice cream. Making this 3 ingredient instant ice cream is such a fabulous and simple recipe and the best part is you don't even need an ice cream maker.
3 Ingredient Instant Ice Cream - no sugars
Ice cream and frozen yoghurts are generally incredibly high in sugars, preservatives, colours, thickeners and flavours. Making 3 ingredient instant ice cream has only 3 ingredients and is wonderfully creamy yet light. You can vary the berries to whichever is your favourite.
Berries are such a low carb friendly fruit as they are lower in sugars and are packed with nutrients and antioxidants.
So what is the difference between ice cream and frozen yoghurt? They are both frozen desserts made from dairy but by definition ice cream is made from milk or cream and must contain no less than 10% milk fat (or butterfat). There is no federal definition for frozen yoghurt. It is made using yoghurt but there is no requirement to state how much is in the final product.
So many frozen yoghurts should be more accurately be labelled frozen desserts.
Frozen yoghurt stores are popping up everywhere but I avoid them like the plague. They are sold as a healthy alternative to ice cream but here's a few things you should be aware of ::
- When foods are labelled as fat free (which many frozen yoghurts and ice creams are) people tend to eat more in the belief it is healthy.
- Low fat generally means high carb. When the fat is removed sugar is pumped in to make up for the loss of flavour and texture.
- Don't add all those toppings, granola, dried fruit, sweets, chocolate, tropical fruit and sugary syrups. They're just different forms of sugar.
- Don't think a bought frozen yoghurt with fruit and granola is a great lunch option, it's nothing more than a dessert (sorry).
Make instead my 3 ingredient instant ice cream in one easy step and suddenly you have a little bowl of heaven. With all sweet treats I post, they should only be eaten occasionally as the ethos of going low carb is to give up such sweet treats on a regular basis. But when you do want a sweet dessert, I believe it's better to have a low sugar alternative.
The 3 ingredient instant ice cream is made with natural unsweetened yoghurt. There is debate whether the beneficial bacteria survives in frozen yoghurts but this recipe is made instantly and eaten straight away, not stored in the freezer.
The 3 ingredient instant ice cream is higher in carbs than most of my recipes but at 13g carbs (9g sugar) per cup, it compares favourably with Ben & Jerry's strawberry ice cream for example which has 46g carbs (44g sugar) per cup.
Please rate this recipe.
3 Ingredient Instant Ice Cream Recipe
- 100 g (1 cup) frozen berries of choice
- 250 ml (1 cup) natural unsweetened yoghurt unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon granulated sweetener of choice to more, to your taste
- Put all the ingredients together in a blender with the blade attachment. Pulse until smooth.
- Serve immediately. Serves 2.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Other desserts you may like
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Caveman's Balls
- Low Carb Carrot Cake
- Almond & Orange Flourless Cake
- Walnut & Brandy Truffles
- Keto Blueberry Cheesecake