This recipe has been updated and improved. Take a look at the new and improved version of grain free and gluten free pork schnitzel.
When you live a low-carb or gluten-free lifestyle, you’re always looking for ways to re-make your favorite dishes to fit your diet. Finding meals like Almond and Herb Crusted Schnitzel that are easily adapted to fit whatever healthy lifestyle you are living.
Schnitzel is an easy-to-make 15-minute meal that proves eating healthy doesn’t have to take a lot of time.
Almond And Herb Crusted Schnitzel
Using almond meal, or ground almonds, is a great substitute for bread crumbs or flour. It coats easily, frys well and is free from wheat, grains and gluten and extremely low in carbs.
Any leftover almond and herb crusted schnitzel are great for lunch boxes or chopped on a salad.
Use any choice of dried or fresh herb e.g. rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic,
Use chicken, turkey or pork schnitzel.
Use the almond and herb crust for fish nibbles.
Almond and Herb Crusted Schnitzel
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with a fork until fully combined. In a second small bowl, mix the almond meal, herbs, lemon zest and parmesan.
- Heat the frying pan on a low/medium heat and add butter so the almond, herb crust doesn't stick and to give the crust a lovely buttery flavour.
- Dip one piece of schnitzel at a time into the egg mixture to ensure both sides are covered. Lift to allow the excess egg mixture to drain, then place each side in the almond mixture so that it is fully coated.
- Place gently into the frying pan, adding more butter as they cook and absorb the butter from the pan.
- Cook until golden on both sides. Generally, this only takes about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Serve with cream cheese and more fresh herbs.