I posted my beef and bacon roll ups on Instagram a while back and they went absolutely crazy. It was just a recipe I made up one day because I had some beef schnitzel sitting in the fridge that needed cooking, and I just threw these together.
It turns out these can be served as a main dish, or as I did, cut them into small pinwheels for lunch boxes.
What Is Beef Schnitzel?
Beef schnitzel is just incredibly thin slices of beef which have often been tenderised.
"Schnitzel" is often confused with thin meat that has been tenderised and coated in egg, flour, breadcrumbs, and fried. But schnitzel actually refers to the meat itself. The breaded recipe should correctly be named breaded schnitzel.
How To Use Schnitzel
Schnitzel (beef, turkey, veal, or pork) is so versatile. It can be served crumbed and fried, sliced in a stir fry, or as I discovered, beef and bacon roll-ups.
Simply lay the beef schnitzel on a chopping board, layer with bacon, spinach, and some cheese of your liking. I wish I had made these with blue cheese. But then again, that may not have survived the lunch box trip to school.
If you were to serve these as a main dish for dinner, I would make a creamy mushroom sauce and drizzle it all over once cooked. Serve with mashed cauliflower and some more leafy greens (with butter) and you would have an amazing easy family dinner.
Best keto side dishes to serve with beef
There are so many delicious low-carb and keto side dishes to serve with beef. Beef is a family-friendly dinner and so you need to choose easy healthy side dishes that the whole family will love.
Here are some of my favorite keto beef side dishes.
- Cheesy keto garlic bread
- Easy mashed cauliflower
- The best low-carb bread, pasta, and potato substitutes
- Low-carb keto almond flour bread
- Baked cheesy broccoli and cauliflower
How To Use Leftovers
Slice the beef and bacon roll-ups and you suddenly have pinwheels for lunch boxes for the next few days. Lunch boxes need to be easy, but they also need to be packed with real food, protein, healthy fats and nutrient-dense carbs. I know my kids would rather eat these than a dry sandwich any day (me too).
Beef And Bacon Roll Ups Recipe
Please rate this recipe.
- Lay the beef schnitzel on a chopping board. Place the streaky bacon along the length of the beef.
- Place some leafy greens on top of the streaky bacon. Add your favourite cheese across the meat. This will become the centre.
- Roll the beef and the fillings up tightly. Secure with a toothpick if required.
- Place each beef and bacon roll up in a baking dish or baking tray. Spray or brush with oil.
- Cook at 180C/350F for approximately 15 -20 minutes until the beef and bacon are cooked thoroughly. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your beef and bacon, so may vary widely.
- Serve hot with mushroom sauce or allow to completely cool, then using a sharp knife, carefully cut into small slices as shown.
2,500 RECIPES - MEAL PLANS - COOKBOOKS
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.