Ever heard of bacon wrapped chicken nuggets? If your children are still eating hideous chicken nuggets from the supermarket or fast food joint, today is the day to stop pre-made chicken nuggets FOREVER! Yes, seriously, forever.
There is never ever a good enough reason to feed even a pet (let alone a child) a chicken nugget ever again (you can tell I hate them huh?).
What's wrong with regular chicken nuggets?
There are three main health concerns when it comes to chicken nuggets -
- They are fried in oils such as canola, rapeseed and sunflower oils. All are high in omega 6, easily oxidised and are incredibly inflammatory.
- They are covered in grains, flavours, and preservatives which are devoid of nutrition and simply bad, bad, bad.
- They are always accompanied by fries and tomato/ketchup sauce. This is like rubbing salt into a wound. The fries are high carb fried in toxic oil, the sauce is like pouring sugar on top (most ketchup has as much sugar as chocolate sauce).
So when I see well-meaning parents serving their children a treat of nuggets, fries, and ketchup - the term "chemical disaster" springs to mind. When most ingredients read like a toxicology report, you know you should really walk away.
What's in a chicken nugget?
Let's look at just three examples of chicken nuggets.
Ingredients of the three above, contain a mixture of the following - chicken (parts not specified), bleached wheat flour, enriched wheat flour (enriched with niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), potassium lactate, sodium lactate, dextrose, sugar, dried whey, sodium phosphates, sodium diacetate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, calcium propionate, potassium sorbate, soybean oil, oleoresin paprika, yeast extract (MSG), modified food starch, guar gum, textured soy flour, soy protein isolate, sodium tripolyphosphate, autolyzed yeast extract (MSG), BHT.
Still want one?
How to avoid chicken nuggets?
I often rate a restaurant by their inclusion of chicken nuggets on their menu. Generally, I try to ignore the children's menu, because for some reason that is where the worst junk food lies.
Try to choose an item from the adult menu and ask for it as a half portion. Or order a starter. One of my children's friends was told boys get MOOBS (man boobs) from eating all the hormones in chicken nuggets so that was enough to gross them out for years.
Bacon wrapped chicken nuggets
So what can be better than a piece of pure 100% chicken (tenderloins, chicken breast or chicken strips), wrapped in bacon.
I choose the least processed bacon with no sugars, starches or nasties. If you are worried about nitrates/nitrites, read this article. And if you are worried about processed meat and it's links (not cause) with certain cancers, read this and this article. The myths are debunked with science, not opinion.
"It may surprise you to learn that the vast majority of nitrate/nitrite exposure comes not from food, but from endogenous sources within the body. In fact, nitrites are produced by your own body in greater amounts than can be obtained from food, and salivary nitrite accounts for 70-90% of our total nitrite exposure. In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat."
My children absolutely adore bacon wrapped chicken nuggets. I always make extra to keep for their school lunches. It is an incredibly easy recipe, and the sauce is optional, but I'll warn you my children fight over the scrape out it's that good.
Once you cook these bacon wrapped chicken nuggets, simply add some cream cheese or heavy cream to deglaze the pan. The cream cheese picks up all the lovely juices and smokey bacon flavours.
You can pour it over the chicken or over their vegetables.
How to use an air fryer
Using an air fryer to cook bacon wrapped chicken is quick and easy.
- Preheat to 190C/375F.
- Spray the wire basket with cooking oil.
- Gently place each chicken piece into the oiled basket. Ensure there is plenty of space between them.
- Cook for 10 minutes, open the drawer and turn each piece.
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of pieces being cooked and how thick the bacon is. Chicken must be completely cooked into the centre of each piece.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
Chicken Tenderloins with Bacon
Please rate this recipe
- Wrap each chicken tenderloin with a slice of streaky bacon.
- These can be cooked 2 ways. Either place in a baking dish and bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes, or gently fry (see notes below) in a frying pan for 15 minutes until golden on all sides.
- Remove the bacon wrapped chicken then add the cream cheese to deglaze the baking dish or frying pan, to pick up all the bacon flavour into the cream cheese to make a beautiful creamy sauce. Add enough double/heavy cream to make a pourable sauce.