The quick and easy double chocolate keto mug cake recipe that only takes 1-minute to cook.
Delicious gooey keto chocolate cake made with cream cheese and sugar-free chocolate chips.
This easy recipe can be cooked in the microwave, oven, or air fryer.
This recipe is the chocolate version of my popular Keto Vanilla Berry Mug Cake.
This tasty 1-minute treat is not just any chocolate cake — it's double chocolate!
- What are mug cakes?
- Ingredients you need
- How to make keto mug cake batter
- How to cook a mug cake in the microwave
- How to cook a mug cake in the oven
- How to cook a mug cake in the air-fryer
- Substitutions you can make
- Mug cake variations
- How to serve mug cakes
- Equipment you need
- FAQs about keto chocolate mug cakes
- More sugar-free desserts
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
What are mug cakes?
Mug cakes are the perfect single-serve one-minute sugar-free cake for diabetics or anyone following a sugar-free diet.
A regular mug cake is made with wheat flour and sugar, whereas a sugar-free keto mug cake recipe is made with sugar-free sweetener and coconut flour or almond flour.
Keto mug cakes are the perfect quick and easy sugar-free dessert recipes that will stop sugar cravings and chocolate cravings while keeping you on track with your keto diet or low-carb diet.
If you are a fan of a decadent, chocolatey flavor, you'll absolutely LOVE this keto chocolate mug cake.
Ingredients you need
You don't need any complicated ingredients to make a simple little keto chocolate mug cake. Each of these ingredients works together to make it taste unbelievably rich and delicious.
- butter - use salted butter or unsalted butter with a pinch of salt.
- cream cheese - full-fat cream cheese is best to make the cake moist and soft.
- coconut flour - this is a very low-carb flour that is high in fiber and perfect for those who cannot tolerate almond flour.
- granulated sweetener - any type of granulated sweetener will work. You might want to use one of the most popular keto sweeteners such as erythritol, monk fruit sweetener, allulose, or xylitol.
- vanilla extract - or vanilla essence.
- baking powder - do not use baking soda. Baking powder gives the keto cake a fluffy texture.
- egg - fresh medium egg
- cocoa powder - this is what makes it taste like an ultra-rich keto chocolate cake. Always read the nutrition label to ensure it is unsweetened cocoa powder.
- sugar-free chocolate chips - using a few sugar-free chocolate chips in the cake batter and on top, makes the best chocolate cake.
See the keto mug cake recipe card below for quantities and full recipe instructions.
How to make keto mug cake batter
To make the batter for this chocolate mug cake recipe, you will first need to melt the butter and cream cheese together in the microwave for 20 seconds.
If you don't want to use a microwave, you can melt the butter on the stove and use cream cheese that is softened at room temperature.
Next, mix the remaining ingredients into the butter and cream cheese using a fork. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mug to ensure it is mixed well.
Gently tap the mug on the counter a few times to level the batter in the mug.
Place a few sugar-free chocolate chips over the top of the cake batter.
Now you are ready to cook your mug cake.
How to cook a mug cake in the microwave
Place your microwaveable mug in the microwave and cook the chocolate mug cake on HIGH for 1 minute.
Cook times can vary a little depending on your elevation or microwave strength, so check your mug cake after 1 minute to see if it is done.
Test the mug cake by inserting a toothpick or knife into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done.
If your mug cake needs a little longer to cook, pop it back in the microwave for 20-second increments until the cake is done. My microwave is pretty powerful, so it only took 1 minute for my cake to cook.
How to cook a mug cake in the oven
Place the mug cake batter into a single large cupcake case or muffin case and cook in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for 10-12 minutes.
Cooking times will depend on the size of your cupcake or muffin case.
How to cook a mug cake in the air-fryer
- Instant Vortex - 6 in 1 air fryer with window
- Cuisinart - oven type air fryer and toaster oven
- Instant Vortex - DOUBLE air fryer 8 in 1, dehydrates and syncs cooking end times.
To cook a keto mug cake in the air fryer you need to find a small baking dish or ramekin to fit inside your air fryer. There must be at least 1 inch on all sides to allow the heat to circulate evenly.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180C/350F.
- Place the butter in your small baking dish and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until completely melted.
- Make the mug cake following the recipe card below.
- Gently lower your baking dish onto the air fryer wire rack. Ensure there is plenty of space between the ramekin dish and the side of the basket.
- Cook for 10 minutes, depending on the size of your air fryer and the size of your ramekin or small baking dish.
Substitutions you can make
Are certain ingredients stopping you from making keto mug cakes? Below you will find our recommendations for common baking substitutions.
- Coconut flour - use ⅓ cup (6 tablespoons) of almond flour and extra liquids. But rather than try and develop a new recipe, you can make an almond flour mug cake recipe instead.
- Vanilla extract - either almond extract or peppermint extract are both wonderful replacements for vanilla flavor.
- Butter - use melted coconut oil instead of butter. Use additional flavors and sweeteners to replace the buttery taste.
The above substitutions are great alternatives to will keep your delicious mug cake keto, low-carb, and gluten-free.
Mug cake variations
Make your mug cake recipe extra special with the recommendations below. Make it extra rich, fruity, nutty, or minty!
- Extra rich mug cake - add dark sugar-free chocolate chips or some sugar-free white chocolate chips.
- Fruity mug cake - top with some fresh raspberries or chopped strawberries.
- Minty chocolate mug cake - sprinkle some sugar-free peppermints on top of the mug cake.
- White chocolate macadamia mug cake - use sugar-free white chocolate chips and chopped macadamia nuts in the cake batter.
- Nut butter - add a spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter into the center before cooking.
This keto chocolate cake is such a great recipe because of how versatile it is.
How to serve mug cakes
A quick and easy mug cake is delicious when served with:
- Whipped cream
- Coconut whipped cream
- Sugar-free cream frosting with all the different flavors suggested in the recipe.
- Chocolate keto buttercream cheese frosting
- Keto syrup
- A scoop of keto ice cream
- Toppings - berries, sugar-free chocolate chips, chopped macadamias, almond slices
Equipment you need
This is one of the best keto chocolate mug cakes because it doesn't require a lot of stuff to make it. If this is your first mug cake, then you'll love that it is so easy.
All you need is a coffee mug, spoon, and microwave. That's all you need to make this very tasty dessert.
FAQs about keto chocolate mug cakes
Yes, you need a microwave if you want to cook your mug cake in 1-minute. You can, however, cook mug cakes in the oven or air-fryer, but then they are called muffins because you can't bake them in a mug.
A mug cake is a single-serve cake that is prepared and made in a mug. It is cooked in the microwave to can be cooked in the air fryer. You can even make single-serve cheesecake mug cakes.
Mug cakes are also perfect for special occasions like birthdays when you want a little treat but don't want a full-sized low-carb cake.
If you do not have a microwave or don't like to use them, you can still make this mug cake. Rather than use the microwave, you can bake your individual mug cake in the oven or air fryer using a cupcake pan or oven-safe ramekin.
Cooking the cake this way will take a little bit of extra time, but not much. Bake the cake at 180C/350F in the oven for 12 minutes or until it is done. You can check for doneness the same way you would a regular cake - insert a toothpick into the center and pull it out. If the toothpick is clean, your cake is ready!
To cook mug cakes in the air fryer you need to find a small baking dish or ramekin to fit inside your air fryer. There must be at least 1 inch on all sides to allow the heat to circulate evenly.
Cook for 10 minutes, depending on the size of your air fryer and the size of your ramekin or small baking dish.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
Once the baby cake is cooked, that's it! You can now enjoy a delicious quick and easy double chocolate cake for your birthday, special occasion, or whenever your sweet tooth hits.
To make your mug cake look extra special, remove the cake from the mug and serve it on a plate topped with whipped cream. Most commercial whipped creams are full of sugar and carbs, so I suggest you make a keto-friendly whipped cream using your favorite low-carb sweetener.
If you really want to elevate this chocolate mug cake, you can even sprinkle on a few chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Don't skip the butter or the cream cheese. A delicious mug cake needs both of them to be moist and soft. If you overcooked your keto mug cake recipe, pour some heavy whipping cream over the top and allow it to soak into the cake.
While mug cakes may not be as healthy as a steak full of protein, it is better than eating a regular dessert full of sugar and flour.
You can use Greek yogurt or sour cream.
The recipe card has 1x, 2x, 3x buttons which will calculate the ingredients for you. Make the mug cake recipe then place it into each mug. If you are cooking them in your microwave, you will need to place them well apart inside your microwave and increase your cooking times by an estimated extra 20 seconds per mug cake.
When a chocolate craving hits, a mug cake recipe is an awesome recipe to get the chocolate flavor, but without the sugar or carbs.
More sugar-free desserts
If you love keto chocolate mug cake, you'll love these other mug cake recipes, a decadent brownie, and the best keto chocolate cake the whole family will love.
So when you're craving chocolate and want to taste the chocolate flavor and still stick to your low-carb keto diet, these healthy recipes will curb your sweet tooth.
- Keto almond flour chocolate donuts
- Mug cakes (4 ways) - 4 mug cake recipes from one basic mug cake
- Low-carb lemon mug cake - with sugar-free lemon curd center
- Slow cooker low-carb chocolate lava cake - an easy chocolate cake cooked in the slow-cooker
- Low-carb Instant Pot chocolate cake
- Cinnamon roll mug cake
- Baked keto chocolate cake (flourless chocolate cake) - the best keto chocolate cake for a celebration
- Sugar-free fudgy brownie
Please rate this recipe.
Double Chocolate Keto Mug Cake (1-Minute Recipe)
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese full fat
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 eggs - medium medium
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free chocolate chips
- Place the butter and cream cheese in your chosen microwavable mug. Microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mug to ensure the mug cake batter is mixed well.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1:20 seconds minutes. Cooking times will depend on the size of your mug and the power of your microwave.
Oven or air fryer instructions
- Place the mug cake batter into a single large cupcake case or muffin case and cook in a preheated oven or air fryer at 180C/350F for 10-12 minutes. Cooking times will depend on the size of your cupcake or muffin case.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Why is it so difficult to navigate the page to find the recipe? The recipes look delicious but I just spent 20 minutes trying to find the recipe. It keeps me from trying more recipes or to subscribe 😩
Hi Denise, I think you must have missed the big "JUMP TO RECIPE" button on the top of the page and "📖 Recipe" on the post's menu. I write everything you might need to know in the actual body of the post otherwise I get complaints that I don't explain some minor detail that is required to obtain the perfect cake (or any other recipe on my site), and to answer any question regarding substitutions, variations, cooking method, swaps, and allergies. If you skip by these baking tips, no problem, but those buttons are at the top of every recipe on my site 🙂
For the mug cakes, vanilla or chocolate, can the coconut flour be substituted with almond flour?
No, unfortunately coconut flour and almond flour behave in completely different ways. You can read the full guide on how to use coconut flour and almond flour here. I do however have an almond flour mug cake, that is the best way to use a recipe that has already been developed using almond flour rather than making lots of substitutions to the original recipe. It may now work out properly.
Could I underbake this and make it a molten cake?
I'm sure that would be amazing (as long as you don't mind raw eggs, which I don't). You could even pop a few sugar-free choc chips in the center too to make the chocolate mug cake extra gooey.
Can you leave out the chocolate chips? 🙂
Absolutely! You may also use cacao nibs if you can't find good sugar-free chocolate chips that have acceptable sweeteners.