Are you ready to learn how to make a quick and easy keto chocolate mug cake?
It can be made in the microwave, oven, and even low-carb mug cakes in the air fryer.
This tasty 1-minute treat is not just any chocolate cake—it's double chocolate!
If you are a fan of the decadent, chocolatey flavor, you'll absolutely LOVE this one-minute dessert.
This recipe is a spin on my popular Keto Vanilla Berry Mug Cake. You all loved this one so much that I thought it was time to bring you a few more tasty mug cakes to try.
Plus, making this double chocolate mug cake is so easy. Keep reading to see how to make it.
What is a mug cake?
Mug Cakes are also perfect for special occasions like birthdays when you want a little treat but don't want a full-sized low-carb cake.
There's a lot to like about this easy keto cake, but I find it to be a particularly helpful tool for those transitioning to a keto or low carb lifestyle.
Mug cakes, particularly this keto chocolate mug cake, are the perfect treat to help satisfy cravings for sugar.
As you go through your low-carb journey, you will continue to cut out more and more sugar. The strength of your sweet tooth cravings will depend on where you are on your journey.
So it's always good to have a few quick and easy sugar-free dessert recipes that will satisfy that craving while keeping you on track.
How do you make a chocolate mug cake from scratch?
To make the batter for your mug cake you will first need to melt the butter and cream cheese together in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Next, mix the remaining ingredients into the butter and cream cheese using a fork. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mug to ensure it is mixed well.
Gently tap the mug on the counter a few times to level the batter in the mug. Now you are ready to cook your mug cake.
Do you need a microwave?
Yes you need a microwave if you want to cook your mug cake in 1-minute. You can however cook mug cakes in the oven, but then they are called muffins because you can't bake them in a mug.
Place your mug cake in the microwave and cook the mug cake for 1 minute on high. Cook times can vary a little depending on your elevation or microwave strength so check your mug cake after 1 minute to see if it is done.
Test the cake by inserting a toothpick or knife into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done.
If your cake needs a little longer to cook pop it back in the microwave for 20-second increments until the cake is done. My microwave is pretty strong so it only took 1 minute for my cake to cook.
How to cook mug cakes without a microwave?
If you do not have a microwave or don't like to use them you can still make this mug cake. Rather than use the microwave, you can bake your individual mug cake in the oven using a cupcake pan or oven-safe ramekin.
Cooking the cake this way will take a little bit of extra time, but not much. Bake the cake at 180C/350F in the oven for 12 minutes, or until it is done. You can check for doneness the same way you would a regular cake - insert a toothpick into the center and pull it out. If the toothpick is clean, your cake is ready!
To cook mug cakes in the air fryer you need to find a small baking dish or ramekin to fit inside your air fryer. There must be at least 1 inch on all sides to allow the heat to circulate evenly.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180C/350F.
- Place the butter in your small baking dish and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until completely melted.
- Make the mug cake following the recipe card below.
- Gently lower your baking dish onto the air fryer wire rack. Ensure there is plenty of space between the ramekin dish and the side of the basket.
- Cook for 10 minutes, depending on the size of your air fryer and the size of your ramekin or small baking dish.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
How to serve?
Once the baby cake is cooked, that's it! You can now enjoy a delicious quick and easy double chocolate cake for your birthday, special occasion, or whenever your sweet tooth hits.
To make your mug cake look extra special remove the cake from the mug and serve it on a plate topped with whipped cream. Most commercial whipped creams are full of sugar and carbs, so I suggest you make a keto-friendly whipped cream using your favorite low-carb sweetener.
If you really want to elevate this chocolate keto mug cake, you can even sprinkle on a few chocolate chips. Enjoy!
More sugar-free desserts
- Keto almond flour chocolate donuts
- Keto Vanilla Berry Mug Cake
- Mug cakes (4 ways)
- Low-carb lemon mug cake with sugar-free lemon curd
- Slow Cooker Low-Carb Chocolate Lava Cake
- Low-Carb Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
- Cinnamon roll mug cake
Please rate this recipe.
1-Minute Double Chocolate Low-Carb Mug Cake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese full fat
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1 eggs - medium medium
- ½ tablespoon (6 ) cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free chocolate chips
- Place the butter and cream cheese in your chosen microwavable mug. Microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mug to ensure the mug cake batter is mixed well.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1:20 seconds minutes.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.