Easy keto pot roast in the instant pot is the perfect addition to any menu. This pot roast only takes about an hour and a half total to make, and couldn't get any simpler.
You can cook the pot roast and vegetables all in one pot, the perfect healthy family mid-week dinner.
- What Is A Keto Pot Roast?
- How To Cook A Keto Pot Roast in the Instant Pot
- How To Add Vegetables to A Pot Roast
- What To Serve With Pot Roast
- How To Cook A Keto Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker
- Which Instant Pot Is Best?
- How To Use Pot Roast Leftovers
- Best keto side dishes to serve with beef
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
What Is A Keto Pot Roast?
This keto pot roast recipe is one of my favourites. It is easy to use and full of delicious low-carb vegetables.
Pot roast is one of those meals that usually taste better the next day, but a pot roast made in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) tastes amazing straight out of the Instant Pot.
Yes, it is even more delicious the next day, but you don't have to worry about eating flavourless meat when you cook it in the Instant Pot.
Since food cooks so quickly in the Instant Pot there are to main steps to this recipe. The first is seasoning and cooking the pot roast, and the second is adding the vegetables so that they can cook.
How To Cook A Keto Pot Roast in the Instant Pot
A good pot roast doesn't need a lot of fancy seasonings. The staples from your pantry work wonderfully. For this recipe, you will need sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning blend, and coconut aminos.
When cooking pot keto pot roast I recommend using garlic powder and onion powder instead of fresh garlic and onions. The flavour is more concentrated in powder form, but if you want to use fresh use three cloves garlic and one large onion.
To cook the pot roast place the roast at the bottom of the Instant Pot insert, rub the seasonings over the roast, then pour the apple cider vinegar into the Instant Pot. You will want to cook the roast for an hour using the meat/stew setting, let the pressure release naturally for about 15 minutes then release the pressure by turning the nob.
How To Add Vegetables to A Pot Roast
Many low-carb vegetables do not hold up well when cooked under pressure for long periods of time. That is why the vegetables are added at the end. Once you have released the pressure from the Instant Pot, remove the lid and add the low-starch vegetables.
The low-carb vegetables you will use for the pot roast are mushrooms, zucchini, celery, turnips, and orange bell pepper. You will want to leave the mushrooms whole. The rest of the vegetables can be cut into large pieces.
For those of you who have never used turnips before, yes they are root vegetables, but at only 6g total carbs, 1.8g fibre (= 4.2g net carbs) per 100g. It is a great sturdy low-starch vegetable choice.
Dump the vegetables over the roast then close the lid. The vegetables only need to cook for two minutes on the manual or pressure cook setting.
When the vegetables are done let the pressure release naturally for a few minutes and then turn the valve to release the pressure.
What To Serve With Pot Roast
When the vegetables are done cooking you will want to remove the vegetables and roast from the Instant Pot to rest. The roast will need to rest for about 10-15 minutes before you shred it. This will keep it from drying out.
To make a simple gravy from the roast drippings, you will want to pour the broth into a large jar to cool. When the broth is warm and no longer steaming, add 2-3 tablespoons of butter to the broth, and then blend it together with a stick blender or regular blender.
The broth will thicken into a light gravy that is more like Au Jus. After that, your pot roast is ready for dinner.
How To Cook A Keto Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker
This recipe can easily be cooked in a slow cooker as well. The steps are very similar, add the roast to the slow cooker, cover with seasoning, and add the vinegar. Cover your slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4-6 hours or low heat for 8-10 hours.
During the last two hours of cooking, add the vegetables and finish cooking. The gravy can be made the same way as above. You can also add the vegetables at the beginning, but they may be overcooked at the end. If you love your vegetables extra soft, toss them in the slow cooker from the start.
Which Instant Pot Is Best?
How To Use Pot Roast Leftovers
Once you pressure cook a pot roast, you will never go back. This is one meal that is perfect for leftovers. Pot roast meat can be used in so many different ways.
I love to stuff Keto Cheese Taco Shells with leftover meat for an easy beef taco dinner the next day. I hope you enjoy this pot roast. Comment below the type of vegetables you use when making pot roast.
Best keto side dishes to serve with beef
There are so many delicious low-carb and keto side dishes to serve with beef. Beef is a family-friendly dinner and so you need to choose easy healthy side dishes that the whole family will love.
Here are some of my favorite keto beef side dishes.
- Cheesy keto garlic bread
- Easy mashed cauliflower
- The best low-carb bread, pasta, and potato substitutes
- Low-carb keto almond flour bread
- Baked cheesy broccoli and cauliflower
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Pot Roast Recipe (Instant Pot)
- 1 cup whole white mushrooms
- 1 zucchini/ courgette cut into large pieces
- 1 cup celery cut into large pieces
- 1 turnip peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper cut into large pieces
- 250 ml (1 cup) broth from roast warm, but not steaming anymore
- 2-3 tablespoon butter
- Add the roast to the Instant Pot. Sprinkle the seasoning over the roast and then rub them into the roast so that the roast is covered with the seasonings.
- Add the vinegar and coconut aminos to the Instant Pot. Pour it to the side so that it doesn't wash the seasonings off the roast. Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing.
- Cook the pot roast on high pressure using the meat/stew option for one hour. When the timer goes off let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then turn the valve to release the rest of the pressure. Remove the lid and add the vegetables. Close the lid again, turn the pressure valve back to sealing.
- Cook the vegetables on high pressure for 2 minutes using the manual or pressure cook setting. Turn the valve to release the pressure. Open the lid and remove the vegetables and pot roast from Instant Pot. Let the roast rest for at least 10 minutes before shredding and serving.
- To make a gravy with the dripping in the Instant Pot, add a cup of the broth to a large jar (or to a blender) The broth should still be warm, but not steaming.
- Add 2-3 tbsp. of butter to the broth. Blend the broth and butter together by using a stick blender, or your regular blender. You will want to blend the broth for 30 second - 1 minute. The broth will thicken to a thin light gravy, the consistency will be more like Au Jus. Serve gravy over your pot roast and vegetables.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Additional recipes you may like: