Insane 1 minute mayonnaise - who doesn't have 1 minute?
Once you've made homemade 1-minute mayonnaise, trust me, you will never go back to store-bought mayonnaise ever again. I just wish I had found a super simple mayonnaise recipe sooner.
Epic 1 Minute Mayonnaise
NOTE: Raw eggs are not recommended for those who are pregnant, have low immunity, children and the elderly. To avoid the risk you may be able to purchase pasteurised eggs or you can do this at home. Personally, my children and I have eaten raw eggs for years and never had a problem. We lick the batter from cakes before it is cooked, I eat soft boiled eggs and I like my scrambled eggs slightly undercooked. Raw eggs are found in Hollandaise sauce, mousse and some drinks. It is a risk I am willing to take, but a personal one. The choice of whether to use raw eggs or not is completely and utterly up to you.
If you have ever enjoyed the scrape out of cake batter, raw cookie dough or a chocolate mousse at a restaurant, you may have already unknowingly eaten a raw egg.
1 Minute Mayonnaise Recipe - Ingredients and Equipment
We eat A LOT of mayonnaise as a family and it's always been something I have felt uncomfortable with because of the vegetable and seed oils they put into store-bought mayonnaise.
I spent a lot of time developing a fail-safe easy and super simple 1-minute mayonnaise recipe, the whole family will enjoy, and my kids can make.
Top tip: I urge you all to read my Ultimate Guide To Healthy Fats. It will explain what to use, what to avoid, and why.
Thick Easy 1 Minute Mayonnaise - which oil is best?
Even the store-bought 'whole egg mayonnaise ' contains only a small amount of egg and generally canola oil, soya oil, sunflower oil, rapeseed oil, corn oil or rice bran oil.
You want to keep your vegetable and seed oils to an absolute minimum because vegetable/seed oils contain a high amount of omega 6 which is pro-inflammatory, and you should also try and increase your omega 3 intake, especially from oily fish, because these are anti-inflammatory.
Historically our omega 6:3 ratios used to be roughly 1:1, but are now up to 16:1 causing inflammation throughout the body. See the graph at the bottom of this post for omega ratios from dietary fats.
See where your omega 3, 6 and 9's are coming from in your dietary fats.
I also discovered you can't use extra virgin olive oil because the taste is too strong, so I bought extra mild flavour olive oil. You can also successfully use macadamia oil or avocado oil which also has a neutral flavour but is very expensive.
My top tips to get your 1-minute mayonnaise recipe to work every single time :
I have tried so many methods, ratios of oil to egg, lemon or no lemon. This is my perfected 1-minute mayonnaise. I have tried this method again and again and it has worked for me every single time. One reader testified that "even my five thumbed husband can make this successfully every time".
- use mild flavour olive oil NOT extra virgin olive oil
- put the whole egg at the bottom of the slim jar, add the oil and seasonings on top before adding the blade whisk
- begin with the blade attachment at the bottom covering the egg yolk
- slowly bring the stick blender to the top as it thickens. You may bring it up and down again to thicken it even further
- ingredients don't need to be at room temperature
Storage - 1 Minute Mayonnaise
I store homemade 1-minute mayonnaise in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If I have left the mayonnaise on the picnic table whilst having a bbq in the warm summer, then I will throw any remaining mayonnaise away at the end of that meal.
If you are using raw unpasteurised eggs, use the freshest eggs, not the ones that are near their expiry date.
Always make the mayonnaise fresh, then put it back in the fridge as soon as you have finished serving. Always store in the fridge and avoid warm temperatures for long periods of time.
ULTIMATE LOW-CARB BUNDLE: Want to start low-carb FAST? Learn how to start TODAY ... even if you're a complete beginner. This has everything you need to Ditch The Carbs ... and live your best life! DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW.
1 Minute Mayonnaise Flavour Options - add these flavours BEFORE processing.
Place in the jar with the oil and the egg before processing. Always add salt and pepper to your taste -
- Basic mayonnaise - add 1/2 tsp - 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar depending on how tart you like your mayonnaise
- Mustard mayonnaise - add 1 tbsp mustard or 1 tsp mustard powder into the jar before processing
- Garlic mayonnaise - add one clove of crushed garlic
- Chilli mayonnaise - 1/2 tsp dried chilli or 1 chopped fresh chilli
- Curry mayonnaise - 1 tbsp curry powder. Perfect for an easy egg salad
1 Minute Mayonnaise Flavour Options - add these flavours AFTER processing.
Stir through gently the basic 1-minute mayonnaise -
- Herbed mayonnaise - finely diced spring onions, parsley, oregano or rosemary
- Blue cheese mayonnaise - add as much as you like. My kids loooovvveee blue cheese, so we sometimes add a bit too much
- Parmesan mayonnaise - 2 tbsp finely grated/shredded parmesan for a Caesar salad dressing
- Chive mayonnaise - 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Pesto mayonnaise - 2 tbsp pesto
- Dill mayonnaise - add 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp fresh or dried dill. Perfect to accompany fish
- Tarragon mayonnaise - 1 tbsp fresh tarragon chopped finely. Perfect to accompany tarragon chicken
- Ranch mayonnaise - garlic, mustard, lemon juice, diced green olives, chopped chives. Perfect for pretty mush all your summer dishes
- Lime avocado mayonnaise - 1/2 mashed avocado and juice of 1 lime. Perfect to accompany salmon fish cakes
- Tomato mayonnaise - 2 tbsp tomato paste. Perfect for prawn cocktails. Remember those?
1 Minute Mayonnaise Recipe
Recipe Video (tap to play)
- Find a tall slim jar that your blade attachment of your stick/immersion blender fits into.
- Place the egg in the bottom of the jar. Pour in 1 cup of oil.
- Add the salt, pepper and any other seasonings on top.
- Place the blade attachment in the bottom of the jar and start blending until the egg and oil mixture is smooth, thick and pale.
- Add more or less oil depending on how thick you like your mayonnaise.
Want to start low-carb FAST?
Subscribe to my FREE newsletter service and get instant access to the FREE Low-Carb FAQ & Diet Sheet as a subscriber bonus. You also receive secret discount codes for subscribers only.