My kids LOVE Fat Head dough calzones - in fact, they ask me to make extra to pack in their school lunch box.
At only 1.6 g net carbs, they are the perfect keto snack too.
Fat Head Calzones
If you miss Italian pastries, then using Fat Head dough is the perfect solution.
Next time you make my low-carb spaghetti bolognese with zoodles, reserve a little leftover ground/mince beef for filling the calzones. They don't need much, so it's a easy way to repurpose and stretch a meal.
So what is a calzone? It's an Italian folded pastry with savoury fillings you would often find in a pizza or other Italian dishes. They are made in 2 easy steps.
1: Simply make your Fat Head dough (scroll below for the recipe and quick video) as shown in these pictures.
2: You can make them by hand, folding and pinching the Fat Head dough, or you can buy an inexpensive little calzone press which makes keto calzones a breeze in a few seconds.
You simply cut out a circle of Fat Head dough using a glass tumbler. Place the Fat Head dough in the press, or the palm of your hand. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of filling, some cheese, then fold over the press, or fold the edges together using your fingers to crimp it shut.
How To Make Fat Head Calzones, Empanadas, Dumplings or Savoury Patties
Who else loves empanada, dumplings and savoury patties? Cornish pasties even?
You can make them all using the method to make these keto calzones, all you need to do, is vary the filling.
- Fat Head Dough Empanadas - fill with any leftover low-carb nacho beef mix. Add extra mozzarella and serve with salsa.
- Fat Head Dough Dumplings - fill with leftover low-carb stir fry, and bake until golden. Dumplings are usually steamed, but the Fat Head dough can't withstand steaming.
- Fat Head Dough Savoury Patties - fill with ground beef mixture used to make mini meatloaves.
Fat Head Gluten Free Dough
Once you discover Fat Head dough, there is no going back. It is naturally gluten free and grain free, just amazing mozzarella, cream cheese and egg.
This is the ultimate Fat Head pizza recipe. For anyone who doesn’t know, Fat Head pizza was created by Tom Naughton’s oldest brother’s oldest son. Ever since it has been named in honour of his Fat Head Movie .
These are my top 5 Fat Head dough recipes:
- Fat Head pizza - the Holy Grail of low-carb and keto pizzas
- Fat Head dough nachos
- Fat Head crackers
- Fat Head sausage rolls
- Fat Head dough taco cups
Fat Head Dough Calzone Recipe
Fat Head dough calzones are perfect for low-carb lunch boxes too. If you are looking for low-carb lunch box recipes and ideas, why not join my Low-Carb Lunch Club and my Low-Carb Lunchbox Hacks group - for daily tips and tricks.
My Low-Carb Lunch book has 40 easy recipes, a 5 step programme to reduce the carbs and junk food from your kid's daily meals and there's even a FAQ written just for children.
Fat Head Dough Calzones
Fat Head Dough
- 150 g (1 cup) spaghetti bolognese (leftovers)
- 50 g (1/2 cup) pre shredded/grated cheese mozzarella is the best
Fat head Dough
- Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, salt, rosemary and any other flavourings, mix gently.
- Place the dough in between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper and roll out as shown in the pictures above.
- Remove the top piece of paper. Cut the Fat Head dough into circle shapes using a glass tumbler or mug.
- Place the circle of dough into the calzone press. Place 1 or 2 teaspoons of spaghetti bolognese into the centre, add some grated/shredded cheese, then close the calzone press gently. After the first calzone, you will know whether to add more or less to the calzones. Each calzone press is slightly different.
- Place each meat and cheese filled calzone on a lined baking dish, bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Fat Head pastry can also be made by replacing the almond meal/flour with 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) coconut flour.
- If the mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again but not too long or you will cook the egg.
- If you do not have a microwave, you can gently melt the cheeses together in a saucepan.