Smooth and creamy Instant Pot Berry Cheesecake (5g net carbs) is sugar-free and low-carb so it's the healthy dessert of your dreams.
Let me show you how it's even easier than cooking cheesecake in the oven.
Best of all, it can be made ahead of time and is covered with a sugar-free berry jelly topping.
What is an Instant Pot cheesecake?
Making a cheesecake in the Instant Pot actually requires fewer steps than cooking a cheesecake in the oven. You don't need to bake a crust, make the filling, bake the filling in a water bath, protect the top, then the cheesecake filling inevitably splits.
The Instant Pot is a wonderful tool for making a cheesecake. A steam bath is created inside the Instant during the cooking process which results in a thick, melt in your mouth, creamy cheesecake.
Fresh berries are one of my favorite cheesecake toppings. I love the combination of flavours, and the natural sweetness the cheesecake derives from the berries.
Ingredients you need
Instant Pot cheesecakes are brilliant to make in the summer when you don't want to be baking in the warmer weather. With a few simple low-carb ingredients, you can make this healthy dessert.
All ingredients and quantities are in the printable recipe below.
Cheesecake crust (gluten-free)
- Sweetener - use your favorite sugar replacer and ad more or less to your taste
- Butter - unsalted butter or salted butter.
Cheesecake filling (sugar-free)
- Cream cheese - use full fat, not spreadable, low-fat, or lite.
- Eggs - medium fresh eggs, not egg replacers.
- Vanilla extract - or vanilla essence
- Sour cream - or mascarpone cheese
You can buy all the different varieties of fresh berries or frozen berries, or to make it easy, buy a bag of mixed frozen berries. They are often cheaper and easier to find when it's not berry season.
- Strawberries - fresh or frozen
- Raspberries - fresh or frozen
- Blueberries - fresh or frozen
- Blackberries - fresh or frozen
- Gelatin - unflavoured powdered gelatin.
Why use a walnut crust?
Many regular low-carb cheesecakes will have you skip the crust and eat just the filling. While cheesecake filling is delicious, a traditional cheesecake just is not the same with a crunchy crust.
So instead of skipping the crust here, I made it with crushed walnuts in a food processor.
If you do not like walnuts or are allergic, you could easily substitute the walnut for a different low-carb nut like pecans or almonds. For those needing a nut-free option for the crust, I would recommend trying unsalted sunflower seeds.
For help understanding which nut or seed to choose to fit in with your carb allowance, take a peek at my Ultimate Guide to Carbs in Nuts and Seeds.
Cheesecake expert tips
There are three key tips to making a cheesecake in the Instant Pot taste great and look beautiful.
1: The first tip is to make sure your full-fat cream cheese and eggs are at room temperature. A knife or your finger should easily pass through the cream cheese.
2: The second tip is to mix the eggs into the batter one at a time on low with a hand mixer. It should only take 8-15 seconds to mix in each egg until it is no longer visible. Mixing it longer than this can lead to overbeating and your cheesecake will crack and look like it exploded out of the pan.
3: Finally, the third tip is to skip lining your cheesecake pan. Unless you meticulously line the pan with parchment paper so that it is perfectly smooth, the parchment paper will add creases to your cheesecake. So skip the lining, it is not necessary to remove the cheesecake from the pan.
How cook cheesecake in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Freeze the walnut cheesecake crust. To make this cheesecake you will want to mix the ingredients for the crust together in a food processor then press it into the bottom of a 7-inch cheesecake pan. The flat bottom of a glass will help you firmly compact the walnut crust. The crust is then placed in the freezer while the filling is made.
Step 2: Make the sugar-free cheesecake filling. Mix the cheesecake filling ingredients together in a large bowl with a whisk, hand beaters, or electric whisk until light and fluffy.
Pour the filling over the chilled walnut cheesecake crust.
Wrap both the bottom and top of the pan with a layer of paper towels and aluminum foil.
The paper towels will absorb any liquid that tries to gather on top of the cheesecake while it is cooking.
Step 3: How to cook the berries: I like to cook the strawberries for the topping at the same time as the cheesecake. The strawberries will color and sweeten the water in the Instant Pot and then are mixed with unflavored gelatin and fresh berries.
The red strawberry liquid is what gives the berry topping that beautiful red glow.
Using a trivet lower the cheesecake into the Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid and turn the pressure valve to seal. Cook the cheesecake for 35 minutes on high pressure.
Step 4: Make the berry jelly: Drain the red strawberry liquid over the mixed berries while it is still hot.
Carefully mix or sprinkle the gelatin powder into the berries and hot liquid a little at a time so that it doesn't go lumpy. Taste the berry jelly topping and add additional sweetener if required.
Wait until the berry mixture is cool, not hot, then pour the berries and gelatin over the cheesecake that is still in the pan. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Serve the cheesecake: The next day remove the cheesecake from the pan. It's easiest to place on top of a small coffee mug or a glass tumbler. Decorate the cheesecake with whipped cream, and enjoy!
How to serve
Once the low-carb cheesecake is finished cooking, it will need to sit in the refrigerator overnight to completely firm and set before it is ready to eat.
Since everyone is at a different place in their sugar-free journey I suggest tasting the cheesecake filling and berry topping as you go. If you find it is not sweet enough add a little more sweetener until it is to your liking.
A little sweetened whipped cream adds a bit more sweetness if someone in your house still has a super-sweet tooth.
I hope you enjoy this Berry Cheesecake. Remember to taste the filling and topping as you go and sweeten as needed to fit your tastes.
Pour the cheesecake filling onto your baking tin/cake tin, and tap down firmly onto a folded tea towel on the kitchen bench. Do this a few times to bring any air bubbles to the surface. Smooth the top with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
A loose bottom or springform tin is the easiest to use because the cheesecake slides straight out.
You should let the steam release slowly because the cheesecake continues to cook while under pressure and kept warm. The alternative is to cook for an extra 3-5 minutes then do a fast release.
Instant Pot cheesecakes are fast, you don't need to heat an entire oven, the cheesecake top does not split, and it is soft, moist, and delicately delicious.
Instant Pot Low-Carb Berry Cheesecake Recipe
Please rate this recipe.
- Add the crust ingredients to a food processor. Pulse the walnuts for about 15-30 seconds until they are broken into small pieces.
- Scoop the walnut crust into a 7-inch round cheesecake pan. Use a spoon to spread the walnuts around and cover the bottom of the pan. Then press the walnut using glass or bowl with a flat bottom to compact the crust. Any holes will fill in while doing this.
- Place the crust in the freezer for at least 10 minutes while you make the cheesecake filling.
- In a large bowl mix together the room temperature cream cheese, vanilla, salt, sour cream and sweetener with an electric mixer or whisk. When the filling is nice and smooth taste it to see if it is sweet enough. Add more sweetener if desired.
- Next, mix the room temperature eggs into the filling ONE AT A TIME on LOW speed. Mix each egg for about 8-15 seconds if using an electric mixer. You only need to mix the filling until the egg is no longer visible.
- Pour the cheesecake filling into the crust and smooth the top out.
- Cover the top and bottom of the pan with first a layer of paper towels and then foil. The paper towels will make sure water doesn't pool on top of the cheesecake.
- Add the strawberries and water to the bottom of the Instant pot insert. Using a trivet lower the cheesecake into the Instant Pot. Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to seal. Cook the cheesecake for 35 minutes on high pressure using the manual or pressure cook setting. Let the pressure release naturally. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cheesecake from the Instant Pot and set it aside to cool completely. While the cheesecake is cooling, mix together the blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in a bowl.
- Strain the red strawberry liquid from the Instant Pot over the mixed berries while it is still hot. You can also blend the strawberries and liquid then pour the strawberries over the mixed berries. It is up to you.
- Carefully mix the gelatin into the berries a little at a time so that it doesn't clump. You will want to do this while the liquid is still hot so that it will dissolve. Taste the topping and add sweetener to it if desired.
- Wait until the berry mixture is cool, not hot, then pour the berries over the cheesecake that is still in the pan. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. The next day remove the cheesecake from the pan, top with whipped cream, and enjoy!
2,500 RECIPES - MEAL PLANS - COOKBOOKS
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
More sugar-free cheesecake recipes
If you love the idea of low-carb or keto cheesecake recipes, you'll love these other cheesecake flavors
- 16 BEST low-carb and keto cheesecake recipes
- Chocolate and peanut cheesecake (no bake)
- Lime cheesecake (Instant Pot)
- Keto mini-cheesecakes (berry swirl)
- Sugar-Free Berry Cheesecake Ice Blocks
- No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Squares
- Keto Blueberry Cheesecake Squares
- Low-Carb Instant Pot Chocolate Pudding Cake