With Instant Pot Low-Carb Chocolate Muffins you'll never worry about dry low-carb muffins again.
Learn how to whip up this delicious gluten-free and sugar-free treat for your kid's lunchboxes.
Instant Pot muffins
A pressure cooker is one of my favourite tools for cooking low-carb muffins because it is the magic trick that allows low-carb muffins to retain their moisture.
Low-carb chocolate muffins are a great treat to keep on hand for when you, or someone in your family, are craving something sweet, but you want to avoid sugar.
If you do not have an Instant Pot or an electric pressure, do not worry. I will include baking directions for the oven a little further down in the post.
How to make Instant Pot muffins
This recipe will make four muffins. It is designed this way because the Instant Pot won't fit a whole dozen, but also so you're not left with more muffins than your family will eat.
To get started mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. You will be using both almond flour and coconut flour in your batter, the variety of gluten-free flours makes your muffins lighter and not as heavy.
You will want to mix the dry ingredients first, minus the sugar-free chocolate chips, with a fork so that you can break up any chunks. Then mix in the wet ingredients and sugar-free chocolate chips.
TOP TIP: As with ALL recipes here, ALWAYS taste your batter BEFORE cooking to ensure you have added enough sweetener to suit YOUR tastebuds. Read the Ultimate Guide To Low-Carb Sweeteners.
Instant Pot method
Now that your gluten-free muffin batter is mixed, you will want to fill 4 silicone muffin liners with the batter. You will need to use silicone liners or small greased ramekins because paper muffin liners will get soggy in the pressure cooker.
The batter is a little thick, so after you fill the liners you will want to tap the muffin carefully on the counter to help the batter settle all the way to the bottom. Next, add a few more sugar-free chocolate chips to the top of each muffin. The extra chocolate chips are optional, but they make the muffins look pretty.
To cook the muffins, add a cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot insert. Then arrange the muffins on the trivet that came with your pressure cooker. Use the trivet to lower them into the Instant Pot.
Close the lid and turn the pressure cooker to sealing, cook the muffins for 25 minutes allowing the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
Now you may be thinking, why only cook 4 muffins when it takes 25 minutes in the Instant Pot? I like to use the Instant Pot when I don't want to crank the oven on during summer, or when I want to set and forget it while I'm busy doing something else around the house. No more burnt muffins PLUS these are incredibly moist and light.
Oven cooking instructions
Your low-carb chocolate muffins can also be baked in the oven if you don't have a pressure cooker, or perhaps you just prefer to bake them.
You will want to add your muffin liners to a muffin pan (you can use paper liners when baking). Remember this recipe is for four muffins, so if you want to bake a whole dozen you will need to triple the recipe.
Bake the muffin at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes in the oven. Then remove the muffins and let them cool for several minutes before serving.
Microwave 1-minute cakes
If you are really in a hurry, and you don't want to get the Instant pot out of your cupboard and you don;t want to turn your oven on, then I have the perfect solution. 1-minute mug cakes.
Low-carb mug cakes are the perfect way to satisfy your cravings for something sweet without throwing the towel in on all the progress you’ve made so far.
If you love the idea of a personal cake all to yourself then these low-carb mug cakes are for you!
Muffins that don't get eaten right away can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Muffin will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator and 2-3 months in the freezer.
You and your family will love making these low-carb chocolate muffins. They are a great treat to make together and you don't have to worry about making too many muffins. Enjoy!
Please rate this recipe.
Instant Pot Low-Carb Chocolate Muffins Recipe
- 50 g (½ cup) almond meal/flour
- 25 g (¼ cup) coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 4 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 25 g (¼ cup) sugar-free chocolate chips
- 2 eggs - medium
- 60 ml (¼ cup) almond milk unsweetened can substitute water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients, except the chocolate chips, with a fork. Use the fork to break up any clumps. Then mix in the wet ingredients and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into 4 silicone muffin liners or small greased ramekins. Tap the muffins to carefully on the counter several times so that the batter will settle to the bottom of the liners.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot liner. Place the muffins on the metal trivet that came with the Instant Pot, then lower the muffins into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Cook the muffins on high pressure using the "manual" or "pressure cook" button for 25 minutes. When they are done cooking let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure and removing the lid. Let the muffins cool for several minutes and enjoy!
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.