Keto bacon-wrapped salmon with pesto - sounds complicated right? This super healthy recipe is beyond simple.
Scroll below to watch the quick cooking video and make these bad boys tonight.
Keto Bacon Wrapped Salmon With Pesto
If you want to wow your friends with your keto magic, then this is the recipe to do it with.
The longer I live low carb, the simpler I like my food. A fresh piece of salmon, some salad, some olive oil or mayonnaise, and I'm in heaven.
Sometimes, however, it is nice to wow your family or guests with an amazing meal that looks like you've spent hours in the kitchen, but actually, it's a kind of "throw it together and cook" kinda meal (just don't tell anyone).
Omega 3 and Omega 6 Explained
As you probably know, salmon is a fabulous oily fish which is packed with wonderful omega 3, which is anti-inflammatory.
We need to increase the amount of omega 3 in our daily diet to help address our omega 3: omega 6 imbalance which is prevalent in most modern diets.
If you are new here, I urge you to read this article - Ultimate Guide To Healthy Fats. It explains which fats are healthy, and should be encouraged to enjoy more of. It also explains which fats should be avoided.
Polyunsaturated fatty acids are the least heat-stable of all fats, which means the cooking oil has a higher chance of oxidizing. Saturated fats are the most stable and monounsaturated fat comes somewhere in between.
Healthy Fats Explained
Sadly with modern food production, the use of vegetable oils and their polyunsaturated fatty acids is found in almost all processed food.
Vegetable oils have a significant amount of omega-6 fat (pro-inflammatory) but very little omega-3 (anti-inflammatory). In other words, regular consumption of vegetable oil imbalances our omega 3-6 ratio and promotes inflammation.
So how do you correct the imbalance? By stopping the use of vegetable oils in cooking and processed food, and increasing your omega 3, for example from oily fish such as salmon
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Bacon Wrapped Pesto Salmon Recipe
- Place the streaky bacon on a chopping board.
- Place the salmon fillet across the bacon. Roll up tightly and secure with a wooden skewer.
- Place 1-2 tablespoon pesto in the centre.
- Place in the frying pan, cover, and fry gently for 10 minutes until the salmon and bacon are cooked. There is no need to turn the keto bacon wrapped salmon. When you cook it in the frying pan with the lid, on medium heat, it will allow the steam inside to cook the salmon from above.
- Alternatively, place the bacon wrapped salmon on a lined baking tray/sheet pan in the oven at 180C/350F for 15 minutes.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.