Keto breakfast chaffles are so popular and for good reason. They only require 2 ingredients and can be made in under 5 minutes for a quick breakfast, lunch, dinner and even a sweet dessert.
Almost ZERO carbs AND a quick 5-minute recipe.
Chaffles are delicious and can be used in many different ways as a low-carb replacement for bread or waffles.
I will teach you everything you need to know to unlock the secret to becoming a chaffle King or Queen!!!
If you LOVE these 4 easy chaffle recipes, today I am giving away 23 Sweet & Savoury Recipes in my Chaffle Handbook as a bonus when you join my FREE email community.
What is a chaffle?
Chaffles are the most versatile and easy to make keto/low-carb/gluten-free bread substitute, for sandwiches, as a pizza base, and even for desserts and sweet treats.
All the topping ideas are in the cookbook I am giving away this week.
CHAFFLE = Cheese + Waffle
Super delicious breakfast chaffles are like waffles but instead of regular sugar and flour (making a high-carb disaster), they are made with egg and cheese.
If you are new here you may be wondering “what is a chaffle?”
A chaffle is a cheesy waffle made from cheese and egg. Chaffles are a brilliant invention because they are a sugar-free, gluten-free, low-carb, fluffy waffle that is incredibly versatile because it doesn’t taste like cheese.
The basic recipe
The base recipe is simply 1 egg + ⅓ cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese.
Each recipe will make TWO mini chaffles or ONE large chaffle.
To see the most popular flavours and varieties of chaffles, take a look at this post.
What equipment do you need to make keto breakfast chaffles?
Which waffle maker is best to buy?
If you have been with me for a while here at Ditch The Carbs, you'll know I’m all about saving you money wherever I can, so save your money, because don’t need one of those expensive fancy-schmancy waffle makers.
A mini waffle maker is a perfect size that will allow you to make 2 mini-chaffles for each recipe.
A larger waffle maker will make one large chaffle per recipe.
Do chaffles taste cheesy or eggy?
There are some simple tricks to ensure your chaffles are not cheesy OR eggy.
You must use mild cheese PLUS flavour your chaffles well.
For a savoury chaffle recipe, make sure you add yummy herbs or spices such as rosemary, chili, or smokey flavours. For a sweet chaffle recipe, add additional flavours or sweeteners to guarantee a sweet chaffle taste.
These low-carb pizza chaffles will easily pass the kiddo test, they’re a winner!
Breakfast chaffles with eggs and bacon
Chaffles are quick and easy to make and can be used in many different ways. This recipe is for making just a basic chaffle made with egg and mozzarella cheese.
You simply mix them together and then cook them in a mini waffle maker. That's it!
Mini Chaffles or Regular Chaffles?
The best way to make a chaffle is with a mini waffle maker. I like to use a mini waffle maker over a regular-sized waffle maker because then I can make two chaffles and use them as a "chaffle sandwich".
However, if all you have is a regular-sized waffle maker don't be afraid to use it. It just means you'll be cooking one chaffle instead of two.
Cooking Chaffles for Breakfast
Before cooking the chaffles you want to grease and preheat your waffle maker. I like to use an olive oil spray to grease the waffle maker once it is preheated. You can also use a little oil on a towel to grease the waffle maker before it is preheated.
Next, pour half the batter in the mini-waffle maker (or all the batter into a regular waffle maker) and spread it around so that the whole surface of the waffle maker is covered.
Close the waffle maker and let the chaffle cook for 2-4 minutes, or until you see no more steam coming out.
The longer you cook chaffles, the crispier they become.
If you cook for a few people, this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
Eggs and bacon are the perfect sides for your chaffles. You can cook the bacon in the oven while you make your chaffles and eggs. When you are done simply put them all on a plate and enjoy.
To pump them up to the next level, add some avocado too.
The chaffles can also be used to make a breakfast sandwich. Place the eggs and bacon in-between your two chaffles, top with some avocado and enjoy a delicious breakfast sandwich.
To eat your the breakfast sandwich on the go, wrap your sandwich in a kitchen paper towel or parchment paper and eat it on the go.
Chaffles are best eaten fresh because they are fluffy and warm. However, they can be made a few days in advance and either stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Your chaffles will be less fluffy, but they can still be used for wraps, low-carb tacos, or breakfast sandwiches. Enjoy!
Super easy low-carb and keto breakfast chaffles are perfect for making extras to keep in the freezer. The basic chaffles are a SUPERB emergency healthy kid’s lunch box filler. Here’s how to freeze chaffles:
- Let the chaffles to cool completely and all the steam to escape
- In an airtight container place layers of low-carb chaffles with sheets of baking parchment to separate each layer.
- Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost by toasting, frying or microwaving for 10 seconds. Enjoy.
So yes, you can freeze chaffles, but remember, you can make 2 delicious mini low-carb chaffles in less than 5 minutes.
- Always mix the egg and cheese well before pouring into your waffle maker
- Make sure you spread the chaffle mixture out evenly into your waffle maker
- If you don’t have a waffle maker, you can use a frying pan
- The longer you cook chaffles, the crispier they become
- You may substitute any mild cheese you wish to in place of pre-shredded mozzarella.
- Always check your pre-shredded mozzarella for additives such as potato or rice starch which is often added to prevent the shredded cheese from clumping. Find a good brand without these additional unnecessary carbs.
Please rate this recipe.
Easy Breakfast Chaffles with Eggs and Bacon
- Combine the ingredients for the basic breakfast chaffle in a small bowl or mug.
- Preheat your waffle maker. When it is hot, spray with olive oil and pour half the batter into the mini-waffle maker (or the entire batter into a large waffle maker).
- Cook for 2-4 minutes then remove and repeat. You should be able to make 2 mini-chaffles per recipe or 1 large chaffle.
- Scramble the eggs and cook the bacon.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve the scrambled eggs and bacon the side OR place in between 2 mini-chaffles to make a sandwich.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.