Your whole family will love their veggies with keto cheesy baked asparagus. The quick cooking video will show you how to make my easy cheese sauce that your whole family will love.
Your children will come back for seconds!
In this article you will find:
- How to prep your asparagus.
- How to make cheesy baked asparagus.
- How to cook asparagus spears in the oven.
- How to make cheese sauce for your asparagus.
- Tips for your using your cheese sauce with other vegetables.
Keto Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Get your FREE eBook - HOW TO REDUCE SUGAR FROM YOUR CHILD'S DIET ... PLUS 50 Easy Healthy Kid's Snack Ideas
Asparagus is an excellent vegetable to eat when following keto. Not only is it low is carbs, but it is a good source of fiber, folate, and antioxidants.
However, asparagus can have an aftertaste and at times can taste bitter. This keto cheese sauce is the best way to add flavor to your asparagus.
How To Prep Asparagus for Keto Cheesy Baked Asparagus
You can make this baked asparagus with any asparagus you are able to pick up at the store. It doesn't matter if your asparagus is thin or thick. The thickness of your asparagus will largely depend on the season in which you are making this dish.
The first step to prepare your asparagus is to rinse it in cold water. Then remove the dry woody ends from each spear. There are two ways you can do this.
The first way to remove the ends of the asparagus is to cut the bottom 1-2 inches off with a knife. The second way is to hold a spear of asparagus between your fingers at both ends. Then bend it until the woody end snaps off. Repeat this move with each piece of asparagus.
Making Cheese Sauce for Keto Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Making the keto cheese sauce is quick and easy. To make the sauce mix together some softened cream cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded parmesan cheese, chicken broth, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a bowl.
I typically used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic because the flavor is more concentrated.
Feel free to use fresh garlic or herbs in your cheese sauce if you would like.
Since cheese is naturally salty, I only recommend adding salt and pepper to taste if you think it is needed. I usually think it is salty enough on its own.
How To Make Keto Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Place your asparagus in an oven safe baking disk. Your pan only needs to be large enough to fit your asparagus.
Then pour your cheese sauce over the asparagus and spread it out. When you are ready to cook the asparagus cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in the oven.
How To Cook Asparagus Spears In The Oven
To bake the asparagus in the oven you will want to preheat your oven to 220C/425F degrees. When the oven is hot place the asparagus in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
How long your asparagus takes to cook will depend on the thickness of the asparagus.
Your asparagus is done cooking when the spears are tender and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Remove the foil from the pan during the last 2-3 minutes to allow the top to brown. If you forget to remove the foil while cooking the top can also be browned under your oven broiler.
Tips For Using Keto Cheesy Sauce On Other Vegetables
Your cheese sauce is the perfect addition to any vegetable. I have used this sauce on baked broccoli and brussels sprouts and my family loved it.
To use the sauce with other vegetables prepare it how you would the asparagus. You may need to adjust the cooking time and temperature to match the vegetable you are baking.
To use this sauce with steamed, boiled, or raw vegetables you will likely need to melt the sauce together. The sauce can be melted in a saucepan on the stove over low heat. You can then dip or toss the vegetables in the cheese sauce.
Keto Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Keto cheesy baked asparagus is best served warmed, but can also be reheated.
How To Reheat Baked Asparagus
To reheat your asparagus simply pop a portion in the microwave for 45 seconds to one minute. The asparagus can also be reheated in the oven at 220C/425F for 5-8 minutes, or until it is warm.
Keto cheesy baked asparagus is the perfect side to pair with this easy slow cooker whole chicken recipe. Enjoy!
Keto Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Recipe Video (tap to play)
- 450 g (1 lb) asparagus with woody ends removed
- 4 tbsp (2 oz) cream cheese softened
- ½ cup (½ cup) pre-shredded/grated mozzarella pre-shredded
- ⅓ cup (⅓ cup) fresh parmesan cheese shredded
- 80 ml (¼ cup) chicken broth
- ¼ tsp (¼ tsp) garlic powder
- ¼ tsp (¼ tsp) Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper optional to taste
- baking pan
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Wash your asparagus and snap the wooden ends off each spear of asparagus. Then spread your asparagus out in a lightly greased baking pan.
- In a bowl mix together the remaining ingredients to make a cheese sauce.
- Next, pour cheese sauce over the asparagus. Spread the cheese sauce out with a spoon if needed.
- Cover your pan with foil and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until your asparagus is tender and the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove the foil from the pan and let the top of the cheese sauce brown in the oven for 2-3 more minutes before removing it from the oven. Let your baked asparagus cool for a few minutes then garnish and serve.
The Ultimate LOW-CARB Vegetarian Cookbook: Suddenly being a low-carb vegetarian just got a whole lot easier AND healthier. Tasty nutritious meals, snacks and sweet treats the whole family will love. DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW