Keto chocolate lasagna is here. Learn how to make this easy one-pan chocolate pudding that tastes like oreo cookies but with wholesome ingredients.
4 easy layers include a whipped cream cheese layer, vanilla cheesecake layer, a sugar-free chocolate pudding, and a no-bake cookie crust.
Believe it or not...you get all of this for only 4.5g net grams of carbs.
What is in the original chocolate lasagna?
The original version of the chocolate lasagna recipe is a layered dessert recipe that requires Oreo cookies, instant pudding, cool whip, chocolate chips, and even more added sugar. The entire thing is an absolute sugar bomb. Just one serving will make your blood sugar skyrocket out of control and leave you to end up craving more.
It's other (more controversial name) is "sex in a pan". I think I'll stick with chocolate layered dessert (or low carb chocolate lasagna).
What is cool whip?
The traditional version uses cool whip as the final topping, but what is it? Cool whip is imitation (fake) whipped cream made with hydrogenated vegetable oils, high fructose corn syrup (aka, sugar), corn syrup (more sugar), sodium caseinate, flavours, xanthan gum, guar gum, polysorbate 60, sodium monostearate, and some more lovely chemicals. Plus, it costs 50% more per ounce than regular heavy cream.
Keto cool whip
So instead, this recipe calls for a guilt-free, keto-friendly homemade "cool whip". To make the cool whip keto, you use whipping cream (double cream) whipped with some added sweetener.
1 cup of cool whip = 17.2 grams of net carbs
1 cup heavy cream whipped = 3.3 grams of net carbs
Nutritional values from cronometer.com
How do you make keto Oreos?
Instead of regular Oreos, this no bake simple recipe makes a chocolate crust with almond flour, melted butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a keto friendly sweetener.
It's such a great recipe and the perfect dessert to take to a special occasion because even the most ardent sugar loving family members, love the Oreo taste (just don't tell them it's a low carb dessert). It's the perfect treat and is always a big hit.
How to make a homemade instant chocolate pudding?
You will make a quick and easy chocolate custard, by simmering the ingredients together on a low medium heat. It's a delicious way to get sugar-free custard without the corn starch or arrowroot powder.
Remember to print the recipe because this keto custard is a great sugar-free chocolate dessert to keep on hand.
How to make the no-bake chocolate lasagna recipe
This creamy keto chocolate delight is 4 layers made from scratch with simple ingredients that are probably in your fridge and pantry right now. It starts with a chocolate cookie base and layers all the way up to a whipped cream topping sprinkled with sugar free chocolate shavings.
The amazing dessert looks difficult but in fact, is super easy. The entire recipe takes only 30 minutes to make.
You can prepare each of the layers and place them one on top of another in your favourite baking dish.
- Start by pressing the crust layer into the dessert pan
- Then add the creamy layers of chocolate pudding
- Next is the layer of cheesecake filling
- Add whipped cream
- Finally, sprinkle with sugar-free chocolate or cocoa powder to reduce the carbs even further
Be sure to give yourself enough time for each layer to set into one anther. This is one of my favorite desserts to make ahead. It's a great way to be prepared and will be a huge hit.
What ingredients do you need?
You've probably got all the simple ingredients in your pantry and fridge right now.
- almond flour
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- cocoa powder
- xanthan gum
What equipment do you need?
You only need 4 kitchen things.
- A medium bowl for the cookie crust
- A hand mixer (or a mini food processor) to whip the cream and to make a smooth cheesecake layer
- A small saucepan to make the chocolate pudding
- Your favourite serving dish.
What are the 4 different layers?
There are 4 distinct layers, this is what is in each one, from the top layer all the way to the bottom cookie crust.
Whipped cream layer - delicious whipped cream and vanilla
Cream cheese layer - this cheesecake layer with vanilla mixture tastes just like regular cheesecake filling
Creamy chocolate pudding layer - a simple keto chocolate custard
Chocolate cookie crust - a crunchy almond flour crust
Can you make flavor variations to the original chocolate dessert?
Yes, there are easy substitutions you can make to adapt this basic chocolate lasagna recipe to almost (?) any flavour you like.
- Mint - add peppermint extract to the chocolate layer and cookie layer (to make chocolate mint oreos).
- Tiramisu - add some instant coffee powder to your chocolate almond flour crust. Sprinkle as much brandy as you like over the no bake crust, but not too. You want the crust to remain crunchy, not soggy. Also, add a shot of espresso to your vanilla pudding layer to make a mocha cream cheese mix.
- Peanut butter - simply stir as much peanut butter as you like through the chocolate layer and to the almond flour crust. You can choose smooth peanut butter or crunchy peanut butter. Just check the ingredient list to ensure there is no added sugar
- Berry - add a few tablespoons of my berry chia jam into the cream cheese mixture. You can even press some whole berries into the cream cheese layer too.
- Lemon - omit the cocoa powder from the base and add 1 tablespoon lemon zest and 2 tablespoon additional almond flour/meal instead. Stir ¼ cup of sugar free lemon curd into the cream cheese mix. Omit the cocoa powder from the chocolate pudding mixture and add 2 tablespoon lemon zest instead to create a lemon custard-like filling. Serve with tiny pieces of lemon zest and lemon slices to decorate.
Keto Chocolate Lasagna Dessert (no-bake recipe)
Please rate this recipe
Chocolate cookie crust
Vanilla cheesecake layer
Chocolate custard layer
Chocolate cookie crust
- Grease your favourite serving dish with butter then line with parchment paper.
- Mix all the ingredients for the cookie crust in a small mixing bowl then press firmly into the lined serving dish. The firmer you press, the stronger the cookie crust will hold together when serving. Place it in the fridge while you make the next layer.
Vanilla cheesecake layer
- Place all the vanilla cheesecake ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust if you need more sweetener.
- Gently spread the cheesecake layer on top of the cooled cookie crust. Place back in the fridge to set.
Chocolate custard layer
- In a medium saucepan, gently mix the butter, cream, sweetener, cocoa, and vanilla together. Warm slowly until the cream mixture is hot, but NOT boiling or bubbling.
- In a heatproof jug, whisk the egg yolks and add ¼ cup of warm cream mixture. Slowly add this yolk/cream mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the warm cream mixture. Continue to heat and mix until the chocolate custard thickens.
- Once the chocolate custard has thickened, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the surface and whisk vigorously until the custard is thick and continue to whisk until almost cool and set.
- Pour the custard over the cooled cheesecake layer. Place back in the fridge to continue setting.
- Whip all the cream topping ingredients together until light and fluffy. Spread gently over the chocolate custard layer.
- Place the finished dessert back in the fridge to set, for at least 2 hours, but the layered lasagna tastes even better if left covered in the fridge overnight.
Decorate and serve
- When it's time to serve your chocolate lasagna, sprinkle the top with cocoa powder or drizzle with melted sugar-free chocolate.
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.