Incredibly fast 15-minute dinner recipe for easy healthy keto curry bowl with spinach and coconut cream.
If you want new ground beef recipes for your weekly meal plan, this one-pan dinner is the perfect mid-week healthy family curry night.
An easy healthy family meal. And keep reading to find my trick to amazing cauliflower rice ... that even your kids will eat!
Is curry keto?
Curry is keto as long as you avoid the high-carb side dishes such as rice, naan bread, and samosas. It's easy to avoid any unwanted carbs by choosing a curry that is made with a savoury sauce, not a sweet sauce with added sugars.
A dry curry, such as a tandoori curry, is also a naturally low-carb recipe. Then there are Malaysian curries such as beef rendang, and chicken curry with pumpkin. All healthy curry dishes that for into your low-carb diet or keto diet.
Ground beef nutrition
Ground beef is a versatile meat and is a source of complete protein.
The amount of protein and fat in ground beef will be dictated by which variety of ground beef you buy. The higher the fat content, the lower the protein.
|Per 100g (3.5oz)||Carbs||Protein||Fat||Calories|
|Ground beef 70% lean||0||14.4g||30g||332|
|Ground beef 80% lean||0||17.2g||20g||254|
|Ground beef 90% lean||0||20.0g||10g||176|
|Ground beef 95% lean||0||21.4g||5g||137|
Nutritional values from cronometer.com
Ingredients & variations
All quantities are in the recipe card below.
If you want new dinner ideas and you've got ground beef sitting in your fridge and a bag of spinach in your freezer, you've probably got everything you need to make a beef curry bowl.
- Ground beef - any level of fat will do in this curry recipe. The higher the fat, the more juicy curry sauce the recipe will create. The leaner the meat, the more filling and higher protein the curry will be.
- Spinach - you can use fresh chopped spinach, or defrosted frozen spinach. You can even use other leafy greens such as kale and silverbeet/swiss chard.
- Onion - sliced white onion, brown onion or red onions all work. To reduce the carbs further, you can use dried onion flakes.
- Garlic - fresh crushed garlic is best but garlic flakes can also be used.
- Curry powder - your favourite curry powder mix, curry paste but check nutrition labels to make sure there are no added sugars or processed unhealthy seed oils. You can also use spices such as chili powder, garam masala and turmeric.
- Coconut cream - use full fat coconut cream to make the curry sauce. If you only have coconut milk, keep it in the fridge for at least 2 hours, then open the can and scoop out the coconut cream that has settled on the top.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with coconut cream.
What to serve with a keto curry
The best side dish to serve with beef curry has to be cauliflower rice, keto roti flatbread, or garlic keto naan bread. You can make it plain or curried cauliflower rice is a nice change. Even the plain rice isn't so plain, I always add coconut cream and plenty of salt.
So many of you now use my coconut cauliflower rice recipe and told me it's a game-changer! No more soggy cauliflower rice. No more stinky cauliflower rice and you're kids will actually eat it! Yay!
However, because this is a one-bowl dish, you don't need any side dishes. The keto curry is bulked up with spinach which is a great keto vegetable to bulk up meals.
More keto curry recipes
I love using ground/minced beef in keto dinner recipes, but it can soon become boring and I end up using a number of pans for the side veggies. So as a quick emergency keto dinner, a quick ground beef curry is superb! And the fact that it all cooks in one pan - genius!
But sometimes you might want a curry cooked in the Instant Pot or slow-cooker (so I can put the curry on in the morning and it is ready when I come home).
All are simple keto one-dish dinners.
- Keto garlic naan bread
- Keto cauliflower rice
- Low-carb lamb curry with spinach (saag gosht)
- Keto butter chicken
- Chicken pumpkin curry with coconut
- Beef rendang
- Lamb spinach curry.
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Curry Bowl Recipe (Beef Curry Bowl)
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon curry paste/powder
- 750 g (1.7 lb) ground/minced beef
- 125 ml (½ cup) coconut cream
- 6 cups spinach chopped finely
- Gently fry the sliced onion in coconut oil until the onion is cooked and clear.
- Add the garlic and curry powder, stir and cook for another minute. Be careful not to allow the garlic to burn.
- Add the ground/minced beef and continue to stir until thoroughly cooked.
- Add the coconut cream and stir.
- Whilst the curried beef is still simmering in the pan, begin to add the chopped spinach one handful at a time. Stir the spinach through the curried beef so it wilts. Repeat until all the spinach is added.
- Serve the keto curry in bowls, and enjoy! Garnish with coconut cream (optional).
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Amelia de Ridder
Yum, easy to make and so tasty
I'm always looking for new ways to cook ground beef for the family, this looks perfect. I might even add some sneaky live in there too. Thanks from NY.
Does this curry bowl freeze well?
Recipes seem to be fir 4 and just wondering if can batch cook a lot of recipes. We only on day 2 so very new at this.
Yes! Batch cooking is a wonderful way to cook once, serve twice. You might like this video on "how to low-carb meal prep for 1 week".
This is for sure going into my rotation! Made it with heavy cream instead of coconut and it was fantastic. Ate it with the coconut rice as suggested, also made with heavy cream instead, also great. I needed to get more spinach into my keto diet so this is perfect. Thank you so much 🙂
I am curious how you do this in a slow cooker. I think cook the onions and garlic, then put that and the meat in the slow cooker. Then, after that cooks, put the spinach in it at the end, just before serving.
Does that sound right?
I wouldn't make it in the slow cooker, seriously it is so quick and easy to do, I don't think you'll save any time. If you wanted to make it in the slow cooker for other reasons, then yes, your method would work.
OMG this was amazing simply easy and tasty 100% a weekly on my menu.