Bring ham back to your table with this amazing glazed keto ham recipe!
You only need four ingredients to make this delicious tangy glaze for your keto ham! Keep reading to discover how.
Keto ham with tangy balsamic mustard glaze
Glazed keto ham is the perfect addition to any meal. It is perfect for a special meal at home, bringing to a get-together, serving during the holidays, or simply to make ham in bulk and freeze as part of your weekly meal prep.
The balsamic mustard glaze on our keto ham is so easy to make you will be volunteering to bring the ham with you from now on.
The glaze is tangy and blends well with the saltiness of the ham. No worrying about overly sweet glazes with this keto ham.
How to make keto glaze
The glaze for the ham comes together quickly, so you will want to prep your ham first to ensure it is ready to go.
Spiral hams make the prep easy, but if you have a shank ham you will want to score the edges with a knife to allow the glaze flavors to infuse the ham.
Place the ham in the pan with the flat cut side down to keep your ham from drying out while cooking.
The keto glaze is easiest made in a small skillet and can be doubled if needed.
To make the glaze heat your skillet on the stove and add the butter. Let the butter melt a little bit then add the remaining ingredients to the skillet. Continuously mix the glaze until the butter melts and the glaze thickens.
Next, pour the glaze over the ham while it is still hot and spread the glaze out with a basting brush if needed.
Cover the ham with foil and bake in the oven.
The foil can be removed from the ham during the last 10-15 minutes to allow the glaze to carmelize on the ham.
When the ham is done cooking let it rest covered with the foil for at least 10 minutes before serving.
TOP TIP: As with ALL recipes here, ALWAYS taste your batter BEFORE cooking to ensure you have added enough sweetener to suit YOUR tastebuds. Read the Ultimate Guide To Low-Carb Sweeteners.
If this is day 1 of sugar-free living for you, you may require twice the amount of sweetener as someone who has been living sugar-free for years. So don't be afraid to add more sweetener. The longer you live sugar-free, the less sweetener in time you will require.
How to store leftover keto ham
Don't let that leftover ham go to waste. Pack it up and use it for additions to other meals and snacks. Your cooked ham with stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and frozen for up to 1 year. Be sure to store it in an airtight container or freezer bag. If freezing some of your leftovers I recommend freezing them in smaller portions for easy use.
What to do with leftover ham?
Check out the list below for ideas of how to use leftover keto ham:
- Use in an egg scramble or reverse omelette.
- Make a sandwich with keto bread.
- Add as a topping to Fat Head pizza.
- Use the bone and the fatty end to make broth.
- Chop and add it to a salad.
- Cut into cubes for an easy keto snack for you or your family.
- Sprinkle over mashed cauliflower
- Make ham and cheese roll-up/pinwheels.
Ham has gotten a bit of a bad rep in some parts of the low-carb world. However, when made correctly, ham can be a welcome addition to your weekly meal rotation! Here's what you need to know about keto ham.
Is ham keto?
You can learn more in my guide to buying prepackaged foods from the store.
It is usually the glaze and sauces the ham is cooked with that can make a ham not keto-friendly, but if you are making the glaze yourself you don't have to worry about the glaze kicking you out of ketosis.
Is ham low-carb?
Yes! One 3oz / 85g serving of ham only less than 1g carbs, making ham low carb.
The glaze also has minimal carbs, and it is spread out over the entire ham. So the carbs from the glaze are negligible.
Which ham has no sugar?
When shopping for a ham look for all-natural hams that are uncured or cured without sugar. Check the labels at the store, or look at a local butcher shop or farm.
Remember, you are looking for added sugar to the ham, not sugar in the packets or glaze that might come with the ham. The glazed packet isn't going to be used.
If you are having trouble finding a ham with no sugar added in the store, a quick internet search should help you locate farms that will allow you to order one online.
Amazing Glazed Keto Ham
Recipe Video (tap to play)
Preparing Your Ham
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Prepare your baking pan for your ham by laying two long sheets of aluminium foil crisscross over the bottom of the pan. This also helps with easy cleanup.
- Place the ham in your baking pan with the large cut side facedown. Your ham should look kind of like a triangle in the pan. Pat the ham dry with a paper towel. You are now ready to make the glaze.
Balsamic Mustard Glaze
- Heat a skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Add your butter to that it starts to melt. While the butter is still melting mix in the sweetener, mustard, and vinegar. Continue to mix the glaze over medium-high heat until the butter is completely melted and mixed in.
- Remove the glaze from the heat and pour over your ham. Use a basting brush or the back of a spoon to smooth the glaze over the ham.
- Loosely cover the ham with foil and place the oven. Bake in the oven covered for 45-50 minutes.
- Then bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes to thicken the glaze. Your ham is done when the meat will pull away easily from the bone and has an internal temperature of at least 63°C/145°F.
- Remove the ham from the oven, cover it again with the foil, and allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
KETO CARNIVORE: Want to try the "everyday" carnivore diet but need some easy and tasty recipes to give it a go? - DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW