Discover the SECRET method to making EASY keto slow cooker pulled pork recipe - the famous prep and forget meal.
No bbq sauce is needed!
You can prepare this Keto Slow Cooker Pulled Pork in less than five minutes without sacrificing any flavour. Just throw it together and forget about it while it cooks in the slow cooker!
BONUS: Cooking instructions are also given to cook this in the slow-cooker and the Instant Pot.
Keto Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Many pulled pork recipes include a bottle of highly processed, sugar-laden store-bought barbecue sauce to flavour the roast. This is a big no-no when living a keto lifestyle.
So I have endeavoured to make a pulled pork recipe that is pack with all the best flavours of pulled pork, easy to make, and barbeque sauce free. I do believe we pulled it off to perfection! The secret is out!
Secret Sauce Slow Cooker Pulled Pork - The Rub
This pulled pork rub is more like a paste than a rub. All the seasonings are mixed together in tomato paste, then smothered all over the pork roast.
It only takes a minute to make and the flavours infuse throughout the pork as it slowly cooks and the liquid that renders out, creates its own magical keto sauce!The SECRET method to making EASY keto slow cooker pulled pork recipe - the famous prep and forget meal. No bbq sauce required!
The tomato paste when slowly cooked will give your pulled pork a more of that yummy traditional barbeque flavour you find in pulled pork without having to use any barbeque sauce or added sugar.
Want even more of a smokey flavour? Why not add some smoked paprika?
Cooking Keto Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
I used a picnic shoulder/butt pork roast for the pulled pork. This cut will shred easier, absorb the flavours better, and most importantly it won't dry out like other cuts.
To cook this roast you will want to place the roast in the slow cooker with the skin side up. Cooking the roast like this will allow the meat to cook in the vinegar and keep your roast moist.
The pork roast then cooks for 10-12 hours in the slow cooker on low heat. If you want to speed up the cooking time you can use high heat for 8-9 hours, but pulled pork is best when cooked on low heat.
Keto Pulled Pork And How To Use It
Depending on the size of your roast, you may have a lot of leftover meat.
Because this keto pulled pork recipe isn't swimming in barbecue sauce, it can be enjoyed many ways. For a quick and easy meal, you can simply serve it over a chopped salad, cauliflower rice, or with a spicy coleslaw.
You could also wrap some of the meat in a large lettuce leaf to make a lettuce wrap. I also like the idea of using some of the meat as a topping on a fat-head dough pizza. Yum!
Keto Pulled Pork in the Instant Pot
If you are looking to have dinner done a little more quickly, this pulled pork can also be made in an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker. When cooking a large roast in the Instant Pot I always cut the roast into quarters. Not only does it fit better this way, but it also cooks more evenly.
To cook the pulled pork in the Instant Pot you will want to cook it for 2 hours on the "meat/stew" setting. Let the pressure release naturally for at 30 minutes before manually releasing the rest of the pressure. The rule of thumb when cooking roasts in the Instant Pot is to cook the roast for 20 minutes per pound (500g) of meat.
Once the meat is cooked, simply shred the meat and put it back in the juice to rest just like you would in the slow cooker. The meat will absorb all the extra flavours and make you pulled pork even better! Enjoy!
Love your slow-cooker? Try these recipes:
- Self Saucing Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Malaysian Beef Curry
- Slow cooker jaffa grain-free granola
Keto Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Recipe Video (tap to play)
- 800 g (1.8 lb) shoulder/butt picnic pork roast
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) paprika (smoked paprika will give a true BBQ flavour)
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) pepper
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) onion powder
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) garlic powder
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 60 ml (0.25 cup) apple cider vinegar
- In a small bowl mix together all the seasonings, coconut aminos, and tomato paste.
- Place the pork roast in your slow cooker, skin side down, then completely smother the roast with the seasoned paste.
- Flip the roast so that the skin side is facing up. Add the vinegar to the slow cooker by pouring it to the side, no over the roast.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook the roast for 10-12 hours on low or 8-9 hours on high.
- When done, shred the roast and place the meat back into the juice to rest for 10-15 minutes. The pulled pork will absorb the flavours from the juice. Serve and enjoy! Leftovers can be frozen and used in another meal or two.
The cut of pork roast you choose will vary the fat: protein ratio immensely.