So many parents have requested a recipe for healthy chicken nuggets. Parents are looking for a recipe that is lower in carbs, gluten-free and made with real chicken and healthy fats.
Your children will love this quick and easy recipe. In fact, make double do you have some leftovers ready for your school lunch boxes the next day.
If you've been looking for a healthier low-carb lunch for yourself or the kiddos, these are PERFECT! Pair with our sugar-free Instant Pot ketchup recipe or a keto chicken side dish, and everyone will be happy.
Low-Carb Chicken Nuggets
I already have bacon-wrapped chicken nuggets, but they aren't crumbed with a crispy coating. That recipe is simple chicken strips, wrapped in delicious streaky bacon.
Super easy and super tasty, but some kids just cannot be fobbed off with that. They want the real thing that is fried, coated and full of flavour (albeit artificial ones their taste buds have become accustomed to).
If you really want to discover why most processed chicken nuggets need to be avoided, read this post and the 3 main health concerns surrounding chicken nuggets.
For those of you, whose children live on chicken nuggets and you are desperate to wean them off, you need to make this recipe.
After much trial and error, the trick to ensure the almond flour coating sticks to the chicken is to whisk the egg with plenty of olive oil. This allows the coating to adhere beautifully, and the addition of the extra oil allows the healthy chicken nuggets to have that deep-fried taste children love.
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets
My 9-year old's primary school has a nut-free policy, so he is delighted to be allowed to take these to school when I make them with coconut flour.
1: Dip each piece of chicken meat into the oil and egg mixture. This is the secret to making the batter stick and give it the real deep-fried texture that kiddos love.
2: Lift each chicken piece out of the egg and oil mixture and roll in the almond flour or coconut flour coating.
3: Begin to heat the oil in your frying pan while you coat all of the low-carb chicken nugget pieces with the tasty almond flour crust, ready to cook.
4: Gently fry the healthy chicken nuggets until golden and each one is cooked thoroughly in the centre.
How to use an air fryer
- Preheat to 190C/375F.
- Spray the wire basket with cooking oil.
- Gently place each chicken piece into the oiled basket. Ensure there is plenty of space between them.
- Cook for 5 minutes, open the drawer and turn each piece.
- Cook for a further 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of pieces being cooked. Chicken must be completely cooked into the centre of each piece.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
Healthy lunchbox fillers
Best keto side dishes to serve with chicken
There are so many delicious low-carb and keto side dishes to serve with chicken. Chicken is a versatile family-friendly dinner and so you need to choose quick and easy healthy side dishes the whole family will love.
Here are some of my favorite keto side dishes to serve with chicken.
- Cheesy keto garlic bread
- Easy mashed cauliflower
- The best low-carb bread, pasta, and potato substitutes
- Low-carb keto almond flour bread
- Baked cheesy broccoli and cauliflower
Keto Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Please rate this recipe.
- Mix the egg and oil together with a fork.
- Mix the almond flour (alternatively use ⅓ cup coconut flour), salt, garlic and onion together.
- Cut the chicken breast into strips or nuggets sized pieces. Dip each on in the egg/oil mixture then dip it in the coating and cover fully.
- Fry each chicken nugget in oil on both sides, until golden and cooked thoroughly in the centre.
- Alternatively, you can bake these on a lined baking tray at 180C/350F for 10-15 minutes.
2,500 RECIPES - MEAL PLANS - COOKBOOKS
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
More healthy chicken recipes
21 tasty low-carb chicken recipes (the whole family will love)
Healthy gluten-free and low-carb fried chicken (chicken in a bag recipe)
Easy keto chicken meatballs (high-protein low-carb)