The crunchy and delicious keto fried fish recipe is made with 4 simple ingredients and can be fried, baked, or air fried.
The lemon and parsley almond flour crumbs can also be used on chicken tenders and breaded fish fingers.
The secret to making crispy fish fillet is using finely ground almond flour for the best keto breading for fish, with just 2 grams of net carbs per serving!
Amazing low-carb fried fish that's golden brown and one of those healthy recipes your entire family will love.
For exact quantities and nutrition info, see the keto fried fish recipe card below.
I love the taste of crumbed fish, and using ground almonds and lemon zest is a beautiful, fresh, healthy, and tasty alternative to breadcrumbs. This "fried fish" is wheat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, low-carb, and high in nutrition.
Plus, it's simple to make too! All you need are a few simple ingredients:
- Almond flour or meal - if you aren't able to find almond meal, you can use almond flour too. I find that I prefer a slightly more dense coating, so I typically go with almond meal, but in a pinch, almond flour works too.
- Lemon zest
- Parsley - I highly recommend you buy fresh parsley rather than dried. It makes a big difference!
- Fish fillets - see some suggestions in the FAQ section below.
Let's get into how to make this yummy keto fried fish.
STEP 1: Make the herbed keto breading.
First, grab a medium bowl or shallow dish and mix together the almond meal, fresh lemon zest, and chopped fresh parsley.
STEP 2: Coat the fish fillets.
Next, grab your fish fillet. Push it into the almond mixture firmly, then turn it so all sides are coated evenly.
STEP 3: Cook keto fried fish.
How to cook fried fish in a frying pan
To make fried fish in a frying pan, electric skillet, or cast-iron skillet, pre-heat your pan with your chosen cooking oil. Allow the oil to heat for a minute or so before adding the fish.
I prefer to fry it in salted butter, but you can also use another hot oil.
Fry the fried fish over medium heat.
When your fish is fully cooked on the bottom (about 3 minutes over medium heat), turn it over and cook for another 3 minutes or so. You want your fish to be golden brown and crispy.
Note: if you decide to cook this with oil make sure to choose an oil that has a high smoke point. Avocado oil is a great option!
How to cook fried fish in an oven
To make keto fried fish in the oven, place each breaded piece of fish onto a lined baking sheet/cookie tray and bake at 180C/350F for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
Spray each piece with cooking oil spray.
How to cook fried fish in an air-fryer
Instead of deep-frying in the deep-fryer, you can make keto fried fish.
Place each breaded fish onto the air fryer basket with a small space between each to allow even cooking. Spray each piece with cooking oil spray.
Cook at medium-high heat 180C/350F for 6-12 minutes. Place on paper towels to drain any excess fat.
How to remove excess oil from fried fish
Then, put it on a plate or cutting board lined with a paper towel to remove any excess oil. Serve and enjoy!
Before storing, allow your keto fried fish to cool down to room temperature while resting on a paper towel. This will allow all the extra grease to be removed so your breaded fish stays crisp.
Then place the fridge in an airtight container where it will stay good in the fridge for about 3 days.
One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is that there are a hundred ways to enjoy fried fish! Here are a few suggestions to try:
- Make fish tacos - Taco Tuesday has never been so tasty! Whip up a batch of guilt-free low-carb tortillas and add your favorite toppings.
- Dip it in a homemade tartar sauce - I recommend using this homemade mayo as the base. It's delicious and only takes one minute to make.
- Let it cool down and add it to a salad
- Serve alongside your favorite sides. There are so many options here! I love this fried fish with roasted broccoli and cauliflower mash. Yum!
Whatever you do with this fish, I highly recommend you add a squeeze of lemon juice to it before serving!
Best keto side dishes to serve with fish
There are so many delicious low-carb and keto side dishes to serve with fried fish. White fish is a versatile family-friendly dinner and so you need to choose quick and easy healthy side dishes the whole family will love.
Here are some of my favorite keto side dishes to serve with white fish, salmon, or any other seafood dinner.
- Try pecan flour instead of almond flour. I have to admit I haven't personally tried this, but several readers have and they say it's fantastic!
- Use different spices. There is a whole world of flavor out there! You can try to add in various spices such as garlic powder, smoked paprika, or anything else that catches your fancy.
- Make fish fingers or chicken nuggets instead. You can use the same breading mix on chicken to make chicken nuggets, or fish pieces to make fish fingers.
- Amp up the heat. Are you a fan of a spicy fish fry? Add some chili powder or cayenne pepper to the almond flour mix.
FAQs about keto fried fish
You want a firm white fish that doesn't fall apart once you add the batter and cook it. There are a lot of good choices here such as perch, tilapia, catfish, or Alaskan cod to name a few.
Typically fried meats and fried fish are dipped in a mix of beaten eggs, then into the batter mix before frying. However, I have found that fish tends to be different than chicken in the sense that it is generally moist enough for the coating to stick on by itself. You don't need a wet batter. If you find that isn't the case, by all means, add the egg step!
No. Coconut flour acts completely different from almond flour, so the two are not interchangeable. Read this article about coconut flour vs almond flour for more info about why this is.
If you want to try something besides almond meal, try another nut flour such as pecan flour.
Make sure you choose the right kind of fish to begin with. It should be a firm fish that is fresh.
When you are cooking it, try not to turn the fillet over until the bottom has fully cooked so it is firmer. Then use a large spatula to flip it over in one motion.
Extra flavors you can add to almond flour keto breading for fish are ground pork rinds, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Please rate this recipe.
Keto fried Fish Recipe (Keto Breading Recipe)
- In a small bowl, mix the ground almonds, lemon and parsley.
- Usually when I crumb chicken or beef, I dip in egg first, fish however is usually moist enough for the coating to stick by itself. Just push each fillet into the almond mixture, firmly pushing more coating on all sides.
- Fry on a moderate heat in plenty of butter for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.