If you want a real winter warmer for the family, this low carb chicken and leek pie is an absolute must. Super simple to prepare and super sturdy.
Low carb chicken and leek pie – with a grain free crust
I used to make chicken and leek pie before we went low carb, and I was determined to remake my old recipe. Just by changing the crust to a grain free crust and substituting a few ingredients in the pie filling, means this is even more tasty than the original.
I was super pleased how it turned out and even though it made a huge pie, there were ZERO leftovers, my children ate the lot! If you do happen to make this and have any leftovers, please let me know if it freezes well, I would expect it would.
Unfortunately there is never any low carb chicken and leek pie leftovers in this household.
TOP TIP :: You must use full fat original cream cheese. All the varieties which are low fat or spreadable won’t set. This goes for pies, cheesecakes and all my recipes. The cream cheese needs to be solid, firm and full fat (see below for what I use).
Low carb chicken and leek pie recipe
Low Carb Chicken And Leek Pie
Grain free pie crust
Grain free pie crust
- Stir together the melted butter, almond flour/meal and salt.
- Now add the egg, psyllium husk and coconut flour, mix again until it forms a dough.
- Either roll between two sheets of baking parchment, or simply press into a greased and lined pie dish with deep sides or casserole dish.
- Bake at 180C/160C fan or 350F oven for 10 minutes or until just cooked and starting to brown. Remove from the oven.
Low carb chicken and leek pie filling
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the sliced leeks and gently cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and cooked.
- Remove from the heat and place the leeks in a heatproof small bowl. Try to keep as much of the butter in the saucepan as you can.
- Using the same saucepan with the butter, now add the diced/cubed chicken and place back on the stove top. Heat and stir until the chicken is completely cooked through to the centre of each piece.
- Lower the heat and add the full fat cream cheese to the saucepan with the chicken. Stir until the cream cheese melts. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes very gently so the cream cheese thickens and creates it's own sauce. Turn the heat off.
- Stir through the cooked leeks, grated/shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Mix.
- Add the eggs. Mix again.
- Pour the low carb chicken and leek pie filling onto the cooked pie crust.
- Bake at 180C/ 160C fan/ 350F for 20 minutes or until golden on top.