Low-Carb Instant Pot Chocolate Pudding Cake is the perfect recipe to soothe your sweet tooth with a warm gooey sugar-free chocolate fudge sauce hidden at the bottom.
So there's no need to ruin your daily goals if you are after a sweet treat. Let me show you how to throw a few simple low-carb baking ingredients together to make this one-pot healthy dessert.
The Instant Pot Chocolate Pudding will please all your chocolate-loving friends, they'll never guess it's gluten-free, sugar-free, and low-carb.
How to enjoy chocolate on a keto diet
You can keep a supply in your freezer or make quick and easy single-serve low-carb chocolate desserts such as 1-minute chocolate mug cake.
No matter where you are on your sugar-free journey, this low-carb chocolate cake is a guilt-free way to satisfy a craving and keep you on track.
Every once in a while I will get a craving, not for sugar or something sweet, but something rich in flavour. That is where this chocolate pudding cake comes in it is made of almond and coconut flour, making it low-carb and keto-friendly.
What's special about my Instant Pot chocolate pudding is that as the cake cooks a hot fudge sauce forms under the cake. The result is a warm gooey and moist chocolate cake with a fudge sauce. The best way to eat chocolate in my opinion.
All quantities, ingredients, and instructions are in the recipe card below.
Some substitutions are suggested, but try to only make one or two changes to ensure baking success.
- Eggs - medium.
- Almond meal/flour - or ground almonds. You can also make almond meal by placing natural almonds into your food processor or coffee grinder and processing until tiny grains/flour appears.
- Coconut flour - if you have never used coconut flour before, you may want to read coconut flour vs almond flour (and make sure you don't buy desiccated coconut).
- Cocoa powder - unsweetened.
- Coconut milk - you may also use heavy cream or almond milk.
- Butter - unsalted or salted.
- Sweetener of choice - always taste the cake batter and add more or less according to your preferences.
- Vanilla extract - or vanilla essence.
- Baking powder - always check the expiry date to ensure it is fresh otherwise cakes (or bread) won't rise.
To make this chocolate cake in the Instant Pot you will need to use the "pot in pot" method. What this means, is that cake will cook inside an oven-safe baking pan that is placed inside of the Instant Pot.
The oven-safe pan sits on a trivet with water underneath to allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
Any oven-safe pan that fits inside the Instant Pot will work. Check the pan before using it to ensure there are no cracks if you are using a glass baking pan.
I like to use my long-handled silicone trivet for this recipe. The long handles allow me to easily lower the pan in and out of my Instant Pot.
If you do not have a long-handled trivet I would use a long piece of foil folded into thirds lengthwise to help you lower and lift your pan.
The first thing you need to do to make this cake is to mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Break apart any clumps that work with a whisk, fork, or a fine-mesh sieve. Once the clumps are all gone you will add the wet ingredients to make the yummy cake batter.
The cake batter uses very few sweeteners. Taste the batter before adding the eggs to make sure it sweetened to your taste buds and to the level of your sweet tooth. If you think it needs more sweetener, add more.
Next, you will make the chocolate sauce that will become the hot fudge sauce that appears "as if by magic" under the cake. Pour the chocolate sauce over the cake.
I like to pour on top of a spoon that is held over the cake. I find this prevents the chocolate sauce from making holes in the batter as it is poured.
Do Not Mix the chocolate sauce into batter. The sauce will seep to the bottom and thicken as it cooks.
Finally, cover the low-carb chocolate cake with foil and set the cake on the trivet with 2 cups of water underneath. It will take the cake 30 minutes to cook using the "manual" or "pressure cook" setting. When the cake is done release the pressure by quickly turning the pressure know open, be careful of the hot steam.
Let the cake rest uncovered on the counter for 5-10 minutes to settle. The cake is best served still warm, but it is also great reheated the next day if you have leftovers (now I can't imagine this happening in my house).
Always add the sugar replacement and continue to taste the batter, until it is sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. Ath the beginning you may require double the sweetener a recipe suggests, but the longer you live sugar-free, the less you will require.
If you find you did not add enough sweeter to your cake, don't worry. Serve the cake with a spoonful of sweetened whipped cream. It will help sweeten the cake, and you can adapt the sweetness for those in your family who still have a super-sweet tooth.
Always make sure the batter is the right consistency. if it is too dry add one tablespoon of coconut milk, almond milk, or heavy cream at a time.
This can sometimes happen if the cake was left in the baking dish too long before serving. The sauce can be soaked up by the cake. Otherwise, you may have cooked your cake for too long.
Low-Carb Instant Pot Chocolate Pudding Cake
Please rate this recipe
- 3 (3 ) eggs - medium medium
- 75 g (¾ cups) almond meal/flour
- 25 g (¼ cups) coconut flour
- 25 g (⅓ cups) cocoa powder unsweetened
- 180 ml (¾ cups) coconut milk
- 110 g (1 stick) butter softened unsalted
- 2 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice or more to your taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Use a fork or whisk to break apart any clumps.
- Next mix in the softened butter, vanilla, and coconut milk. Mix the batter until smooth then taste the batter to see if you need to add any more sweetener to meet your taste.
- Mix the eggs into the batter.
- Grease an oven safe pan that fits inside of your pressure cooker with coconut oil or butter. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth out the top.
- In a separate dish whisk together all the ingredients for the hidden sugar-free chocolate sauce.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the cake batter. A spoon can be used to soften the pouring so that the sauce doesn't create holes in the batter. The recipe video will help you see this technique.
- Cover the pan with foil. Add 2 cups of water to the bottom of the pressure cooker insert. Place a trivet at the bottom of the pressure cooker and carefully lower the cake to rest on top of the trivet.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to seal. Cook the cake on high pressure for 30 minutes using the "manual" or "pressure cook" setting. Release the pressure using the quick release method.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, open the lid, and remove the cake. Remove the foil off the cake and let it cool on the counter for 5-10 minutes. Serve the cake while it is still warm topped with whipped cream.
Love easy low-carb healthy sweet recipes? You'll love these too: