This is an easy version of low-carb moussaka.
The only fiddly bit is frying up the eggplant (aubergine) slices and then assembling the moussaka, but this can be done while your oven is getting up to temperature.
I have tried many versions of a béchamel sauce, and I must say that I love my cheat's version. Just throw all the ingredients in a measuring jug and whisk with a fork.
The sauce is made with natural yogurt and feta. There's none of this melting butter, adding flour, cooking the flour, adding the warmed milk, simmering ...... blah, blah. blah. You can gather by now, that all my recipes are fast and simple.
This low-carb moussaka is tasty and packed with vegetables, layered with mince, and topped off with the béchamel (cheese) sauce.
You can also add other vegetables such as sliced zucchini. It may also be made a day or two before you need it. My low-carb moussaka is gluten-free, wheat free, primal and of course, low-carb.
More easy keto recipes
- Keto Greek stuffed mushrooms
- Low-carb slow-cooker lasagna
- The best keto pork chops (in garlic butter sauce)
- 50+ bunless burger recipes
Please rate this recipe.
Low Carb Moussaka Recipe
Lamb Mince Layer
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 or 3 eggplant/aubergine aubergines
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cups) natural unsweetened yoghurt unsweetened
- 100 g (3.5 oz) feta crumbled
- 3 egg yolks
- +/- salt and pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 180C/350F then start making the lamb layer.
- Fry the diced onion in the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until the onion is clear.
- Add the lamb and continue to cook until all the meat is slightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and spices, then cook on a low heat for 15 minutes while you make the other layers.
- Slice the eggplants/aubergines into 1-2cm slices. Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a frying pan, and fry the slices until golden on both sides.
- As the eggplant slices are fried, place them in a single layer on the bottom of the baking pan. Keep half the slices for another layer once we assemble the moussaka.
- In a measuring jug, put the yoghurt, crumbled feta and egg yolks. Whisk together with a fork.
To Assemble The Moussaka
- Place the lamb mixture onto the baking dish that already has half the eggplant slices lining the bottom.
- Place the remaining eggplant slices, then pour the béchamel sauce over the entire dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if you like.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.