This is an easy peasy version of low carb moussaka. The only fiddly bit is frying up the eggplant (aubergine) slices then assembling the moussaka, but this can all be done whilst the oven is getting up to temperature.
I have tried many versions of a béchamel sauce, and I must say that I love my 'cheats version'. Just throw all the ingredients in a measuring jug and whisk with a fork.
The sauce is made with natural yoghurt and feta. There's none of this melting butter, adding flour, cooking the flour, adding the warmed milk, simmering ...... blah, blah. blah. You can gather by now, all my recipes are fast and simple.Yummy low carb moussaka is a family favourite that is covered in a cheats cheese sauce.
This low carb moussaka is tasty and packed with vegetables, layered with mince and topped off with the béchamel (cheese) sauce.
You can also add other vegetables such as sliced zucchini. It may also be made a day or two before you need it. My low carb moussaka is gluten free, wheat free, primal and of course, low carb.
LOW-CARB FAMILY MEALS: Need help and inspiration how to cook healthy family meals? Get all the resources you'll need - CLICK HERE
Low Carb Moussaka
Please rate this recipe
Lamb Mince Layer
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 or 3 eggplant/aubergine aubergines
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cups) natural yoghurt unsweetened
- 100 g (3.5 oz) feta crumbled
- 3 egg yolks
- salt/pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 180C/350F then start making the lamb layer.
- Fry the diced onion in the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until the onion is clear.
- Add the lamb and continue to cook until all the meat is slightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and spices, then cook on a low heat for 15 minutes while you make the other layers.
- Slice the eggplants/aubergines into 1-2cm slices. Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a frying pan, and fry the slices until golden on both sides.
- As the eggplant slices are fried, place them in a single layer on the bottom of the baking pan. Keep half the slices for another layer once we assemble the moussaka.
- In a measuring jug, put the yoghurt, crumbled feta and egg yolks. Whisk together with a fork.
To Assemble The Moussaka
- Place the lamb mixture onto the baking dish that already has half the eggplant slices lining the bottom.
- Place the remaining eggplant slices, then pour the béchamel sauce over the entire dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if you like.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes.