Low-carb shepherd’s pie was one of the first family meals I converted to a low-carb version. In fact, many family recipes can easily be adapted, as it is usually the side dishes or accompaniments that are high carb.
So if you can do without the bread, potatoes, pasta and rice, you’re already on the right track.
Low-Carb Shepherd’s Pie
A low-carb shepherd’s pie topped with simple mashed cauliflower and cheese is a great healthy winter dish. It only takes 20 minutes of preparation while the oven is warming up and the cauliflower mash is made while the mince is cooking away.Low-carb shepherd's pie with a cheesy cauliflower crust is an absolute low-carb family staple.
Packed with tomatoes, carrots and cauliflower, served with more vegetables, and your children won’t realise just how much they have just devoured. To encourage my children to eat their veggies, I always have some type of healthy fat on the table such as grated/shredded cheese, butter or cream cheese.
It just makes eating vegetables so more appealing to children and aids the absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
Low Carb Shepherd's Pie - with Cauliflower Mash
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until cooked, but not browned.
- Add the lamb and stir until it is thoroughly cooked and browned.
- Add the beef stock, tin/can of chopped tomatoes and grated carrots (optional). Mix.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes while making the mashed cauliflower topping. Let the liquid evaporate so the mince thickens.
- Boil the cauliflower until soft, this takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and allow ALL the steam to escape. Too much water left in the saucepan will make a 'sloppy' mash.
- Add the butter, salt, pepper and cream. Using a stick blender with a blade attachment, puree until smooth.
- Place the shepherd's pie mince/ground meat mix in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Top with the cauliflower mash then sprinkle on the cheese.
- Put the casserole dish on a baking try to catch any liquid that may bubble over.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes and until the cheese is browned.
Some other family winter meals you may like: