Low carb spinach and feta parcels may be a little higher in carbs than my other recipes, but there are intended for my children and their lunch boxes. The thin rice papers make them sturdy enough to survive the journey. There are other lower carb options in the recipe - see below.
Creamy Spinach And Feta Filling
This is such an easy way to get more leafy greens into your diet. I love low-carb spinach and feta pie so this was the next progression, little sturdy parcels for school lunches. These low-carb spinach and feta parcels can be made for lunch, dinner, and picnics and are sturdy enough for lunch boxes.
Instead of using a pastry, they are wrapped in rice paper. Now rice paper does have carbs, but because they are so thin they are equivalent to only 5-10g total carbs per sheet depending on the size you use. I reserve this recipe for my children but you can easily make it lower carb, read below.
The recipe here is simply another option that tiny little hands may find easier to hold rather than a slice of pie.
HOW TO REDUCE CARBS FURTHER:
Low-carb spinach and feta parcels are such an adaptable recipe you can make it numerous ways, depending on what you are looking for and how many carbs you require.
- Spinach and feta pie - grain-free crust for a beautiful dinner, or cold for picnics and lunches
- Spinach and feta parcels - this recipe uses rice papers when carbs aren't so critical and you need a sturdy lunch for little hands to take to school
- Spinach and feta pie - crustless - make the same mixture as this recipe, but bake in a lined baking dish without the crust. Freezes well
- Spinach and feta - wrapped in wilted cabbage leaves - use the recipe on this page but instead of rice papers, for those who need to monitor their carbs even closer, use cabbage leaves that have been soaked in boiling water to wrap the filling and bake in an oiled baking dish. Turn over halfway through cooking.
- Prosciutto wraps - yes, readers have told me they wrap this mixture in large prosciutto slices. This would be amazing.
Please rate this recipe.
Low Carb Spinach And Feta Parcels Recipe
Spinach and Feta Pie Filling
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze as much of the water out as you can. This is an important step, otherwise you will end up with a soggy pie.
- Place the spinach and all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix gently, but do leave some cream cheese and feta lumps.
- Soak each rice paper in water for a few seconds. When soft, place a spoonful of spinach and feta filling in the middle. Fold up the bottom of the rice paper, now fold in the sides, then roll up.
- Place on a well oiled baking tray and roll in the oil. This is important to use enough oil so the parcels don't stick and the oil helps them go crispy.
- Continue with all the rice papers and filling until all the mixture is used up.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15-20 minutes turning once to ensure it is golden on all sides.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
It is important to remember that you must squeeze as much of the water once you cook or defrost the spinach. If you don't, you may end up with a soggy parcel or pie, depending on which recipe/method you choose to cook.