I’m sorry but I think I’ve added every low carb cliche in this recipe – meat, bacon and cream. But I have been wanting to make low carb tarragon chicken for so long now, it was an absolute favourite of ours.
I would cook it in cider and add flour to thicken the sauce, read to see how I have managed to delete both of those from my low carb version.
Low Carb Tarragon Chicken – with a creamy bacon sauce
This recipe is equally perfect for a special meal for guests, and as a family meal. My children love low carb tarragon chicken and will fight over the scrape out of the sauce. Guests won’t even realise this is a low carb meal, and as with most meals, it is what you serve the meal with that will determine if it is low carb or not.Low Carb Tarragon Chicken with a creamy bacon sauce, now what's not to love about that?
So instead or potatoes, rice or bread to be served, make simple changes to mashed cauliflower, leafy greens and non starchy vegetables. Shown in the photo is zucchini and parmesan bake, see the full recipe here.
Note :: Do not use spreadable cream cheese or low fat cream cheese, it will not thicken the sauce properly. Use regular, full fat, solid cream cheese in all it’s glory.
Low Carb Tarragon Chicken
Low Carb Tarragon Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts or cut of choice
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp tarragon or a handful of fresh tarragon
Tarragon Chicken Wrapped In Bacon
- With each chicken breast, make a few knife cuts into the thickest part of the meat, this helps with evenly cooking the meat.
- Push some tarragon into the cuts and sprinkle tarragon on both sides.
- Wrap each piece of chicken in a slice of bacon (you may need 1 or 2 slices depending on size of chicken and size of bacon).
- Place the wrapped chicken into a greased baking dish. Cover the baking dish with a lid or foil to stop the chicken from drying out and to reserve all the juices for the sauce.
- Cook at 180C/350F for 20-30 minutes until the centre of each chicken breast is completely cooked.
- Remove the lid or foil and drain the juices from the baking dish into a saucepan. Place the bacon wrapped chicken back into the oven without the lid or foil and cook for 5 minutes until the bacon is golden. Start making the sauce.
- In the saucepan that has the reserved juices from the bacon and chicken, add the cream cheese, heavy cream and some extra tarragon. Heat gently, and using a whisk stir continuously until there are no lumps of cream cheese. Add salt to taste. It may not need much as the juices from the bacon/chicken may be salty already.