Why create a nut free "peanut butter" cookie? Because I have so many readers with nut allergies who are always asking for more nut-free recipes, cakes, and biscuits. So this is a great lunchbox recipe for you to keep on hand.
But if you want real peanut butter cookies, I have those for you below too.
Is peanut butter keto?
But for this special cookie, there is no peanut butter in the homemade recipe for those who cannot tolerate peanut butter. There are easy and clever ways to still get that peanut butter flavor, but without actual peanuts.
Allergy friendly peanut butter cookies
Why did I develop my nut-free peanut butter cookies? And what are they?
With so many of my readers having peanut allergies, and so many schools have a nut free policy. Trying to find low-carb baking that low carb kids can take to school is pretty tricky. And even though peanuts aren't actually nuts (they're legumes) peanuts are generally included in most schools nut-free policies.
Many wheat-free or low carb recipes call for ground almonds (which also aren't permitted) or use a large amount of coconut flour which has quite a strong flavor and strange texture if you are new to low-carb baking.
These peanut free peanut butter cookies solve both these problems. The easy recipe only requires a small amount of coconut flour and the recipe uses your favorite seed butter instead as an easy and healthy alternative.
Note On Nuts: "The FDA lists coconut as a tree nut but in fact, coconut is a seed of a drupaceous fruit. Most people allergic to tree nuts can safely eat coconut. Coconut allergy is reasonably rare. If you are allergic to tree nuts, talk to your allergist before adding coconut to or eliminating coconut from your diet."
Get your FREE 1-month lunch box planner
Which seed butters to choose?
Nut free (or un-peanut butter cookies) uses different seed butters instead of regular peanut butter. I have created the recipe using tahini (sesame seed paste) but please choose a seed butter that is tolerated by the person who will be eating them.
Once they are drizzled with chocolate, they look perfect for a special occasion and the perfect healthy kid-friendly recipe.
Peanut butter substitutions - ALWAYS check food allergies and food intolerances BEFORE serving someone. Make sure that the seed butter you have chosen can be tolerated by them.
- Tahini (sesame seed paste)
- Sunflower butter
- Pumpkin seed butter
- Poppyseed butter
- Chocolate seed butter
- Hemp seed butter
If you want to take your delicious homemade cookies to the next level, try these variations. You'll be sure to find something that will please all the family. And even the picky eaters will come back for seconds.
- For a crunchy cookie, use the crunchy version of your seed butter instead of smooth
- Add sugar-free chocolate chips
- Add cacao nibs
- Drizzle or dunk in melted sugar-free chocolate
- Add sugar-free chia jam and make a healthy sugar-free PBJ cookie sandwich
- Add ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum to make the cookies chewy
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground ginger (try it, you'll love it)
Now your kiddos can enjoy a sweet treat in their lunch box! With only 7 ingredients and 20 minutes, this is definitely a quick and easy cookie recipe that is school and kid-approved.
TOP TIP: Keep some keto cookies in the freezer so you're not tempted to eat them regularly, only when a sugar craving strikes and you want to stay on track with your keto diet.
Nut Free 'Peanut Butter' Cookies
Please rate this recipe
- In a bowl, add the softened butter, tahini and sweetener. Cream together for a few minutes until light and smooth.
- Add the egg, vanilla and mix again until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda. Mix then leave to thicken while you line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix again then place large teaspoons of the mixture on the baking paper. Smooth the top of each biscuit.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Once cooled, drizzle with some melted chocolate.
- Eat and enjoy!!! xxx
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
If you are looking to make recipes WITH peanut butter. You might like these recipes:
- Salted peanut butter cups + VIDEO
- Keto peanut butter fudge + VIDEO
- Peanut butter cookies + VIDEO
- Peanut butter cheesecake (no bake version) + VIDEO
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Who else wants to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Get all the healthy low-carb recipes you'll need - CLICK HERE