Why did I develop nut free peanut butter cookies? Our school has a nut free policy so trying to find low-carb baking that my children can take to school is pretty tricky. And even though peanuts aren’t actually nuts (they’re legumes) peanuts are generally included in most schools nut free policies.
I have so many readers with nut allergies who are always asking for more nut free recipes, cakes and biscuits. So here is another recipe for you to keep on hand.
Nut Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Many wheat free, or low carb recipes call for ground almonds (which isn’t permitted) or uses a large amount of coconut flour which has quite a strong flavour and an ‘odd’ texture. These nut free peanut butter cookies solve both these problems.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Brilliant. Finally a low carb nut free peanut butter cookie.” quote=”Brilliant. Finally a low carb nut free peanut butter cookie.”]
The tahini is a seed butter so is allowed at school, the coconut flour is overpowered by the tahini nutty taste and the texture is acceptable as there isn’t much in these cookies. Once they are drizzled with chocolate, they look pretty special.
Note On Nuts :: “The FDA lists coconut as a tree nut but in fact, coconut is a seed of a drupaceous fruit. Most people allergic to tree nuts can safely eat coconut. Coconut allergy is reasonably rare. If you are allergic to tree nuts, talk to your allergist before adding coconut to or eliminating coconut from your diet.”
Nut Free Peanut Butter Cookies – Recipe
Nut Free 'Peanut Butter' Cookies
- In a bowl, add the softened butter, tahini and sweetener. Cream together for a few minutes until light and smooth.
- Add the egg, vanilla and mix again until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda. Mix then leave to thicken while you line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix again then place large teaspoons of the mixture on the baking paper. Smooth the top of each biscuit.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Once cooled, drizzle with some melted chocolate.
- Eat and enjoy!!! xxx
100 Top Tips For Beginners