Sugar-free Bakewell tarts (almond cupcakes) are a healthy sweet snack without ruining your low-carb plan.
And if you love almonds, you'll love the almond essence/extract that really gives these healthy cupcakes a real punch of almond flavour.
Sugar-Free Bakewell Tarts
I lived in the UK for over 13 years and I came to absolutely love Bakewell tarts. If you have never had the pleasure of eating a Bakewell tart, they are a strong almond flavoured almond tart, berry jam (jelly) and sometimes with or without a simple white icing and a cherry on the top.
If you would like to add some sugar-free jam/jelly in the centre, I have the solution. My sugar-free berry chia jam recipe.
Now before you head for your keyboard and tell me in no uncertain terms that these aren't true Bakewell tarts, I just wanted to develop a recipe that has the taste of the Bakewell tart that I remembered so fondly.
That lovely strong almond extract/essence flavour, soft centre and very buttery!Sugar-free Bakewell tarts (almond cupcakes) are a healthy sweet snack without ruining your low-carb plan.
When there is a shared morning tea or someone's birthday why not make some of these other healthy sugar-free baking goodies. They will persuade even the most ardent sugar-lover to ditch the carbs!
Every recipe has no added sugar, grain free, gluten free and low in carbs
- Lemon & blueberry cupcakes - with a cream cheese icing/frosting
- Almond and orange flourless cake - all made in the blender - genius!
- Lemon cupcakes - another easy blender recipe
- No-bake chocolate peppermint cheesecake squares - Top Tip, these need to be kept in the fridge
Are you a beginner at low-carb baking?
Why not check out my Ultimate Guides to low-carb baking. I want to help you save money and time - because no one wants a baking disaster with wasted ingredients.
- Learn the difference between almond flour vs coconut flour here. Spoiler alert, they cannot be interchanged in a recipe.
- Confused about low-carb sweeteners? Read my Ultimate Guide To Low-Carb Sweeteners and learn quickly which to use AND which to avoid.
Sugar-free Bakewell tarts (almond cupcakes)
- Mix the softened butter and sweetener together.
- Add the almond flour/meal and mix.
- Add the egg and almond extract. Mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 12 mini cupcake cases. Press a few almond slices into the top of each cupcake before baking.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. When cold, sprinkle with some powdered sweetener.
- Add almond extract to your taste. Some people may find it a very strong flavour. Taste after the addition of the first teaspoon, then add more to your liking.
Want to start low-carb FAST?