Dreaming of a keto caramel slice? A crunchy base with a gooey caramel centre topped off with chocolate all for just 1.2g net carbs!
This Keto Caramel Slice is such a decadent treat you won't believe how simple it is to make. If you have a hankering for a candy bar every so often or like to give homemade candy as gifts this recipe is for you!
Keep on reading to see how to make this tasty sugar-free low-carb dessert.
Keto Caramel Slice
This keto caramel slice has a crunchy crust, soft creamy gooey caramel, and smooth dark chocolate on top.
The flavor of this treat is much like a Twix candy bar, but not overpoweringly sweet.
This recipe for caramel slices makes 32 pieces with each piece netting only 1.2g carbs! If you cut your keto caramel slice to yield larger and fewer slices, the carb count will vary accordingly.
DIY Almond Flour Crust for a Chewy Caramel Slice
The almond flour crust is made the same way you would make a graham cracker crust, but with almond flour instead of graham crackers.
To make the crust, mix all the ingredients for it together in a bowl. The almond flour should be damp, but not soggy.
Next, cover a square baking pan with parchment paper and press the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for about 15 minutes, or until it is golden brown, at 180C/350F.
Then allow the crust to cool to room temperature.
Nut-Free Crust Alternative
If you or someone else would love to try these caramel slices but are allergic to nuts try making the crust with our homemade coconut flour pie crust instead.
Make the Keto Caramel
The sugar-free caramel should be made while the crust is cooking in the oven.
To make the caramel, you will want to melt your butter and preferred brown sugar-free sweetener together on high heat in a skillet.
Read more: The Ultimate Guide To Sweeteners
Once the brown sweetener is completely dissolved, slowly pour your heavy cream into the caramel while continuously stirring. The caramel will bubble up while you are pouring in the cream but will settle down as your stir.
Continue to gently stir your caramel on high heat until it thickens and slides off your utensil, about 15-20 minutes. Once the caramel has thickened, remove the caramel from the heat.
Mix in the vanilla and a pinch of salt before letting the caramel cool for about 10 minutes.
After the caramel has cooled, pour it over your crust, and spread out with the back of a spoon.
Next, place the whole baking pan in the refrigerator to allow your caramel to chill for at least 10 minutes.
Keto Caramel Slice Topped with Chocolate
After your caramel has chilled, you will make the chocolate topping. Before you begin, the caramel needs to be firm enough that you can spread the melted chocolate on top,
To make the chocolate topping, add your dark chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl or cup and melt in the microwave.
You will want to melt the chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring in-between, until the chocolate is smooth. My microwave melted the chocolate perfectly in 1 minute.
If you do not have a microwave you can melt the chocolate in a saucepan on the stove over low heat. Once the chocolate is melted pour the chocolate over the caramel and spread it out.
Your caramel slices will need to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before they are ready to cut.
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Want to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Get healthy low-carb recipes you'll LOVE - DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW
Cutting and Storing Keto Caramel Slice
To cut the caramel slices, use the parchment paper, and lift your dessert out of the pan. Then cut the caramels into 16 squares. Next, cut each square in half to make 32 rectangular pieces.
To easily cut the slices, run your knife under hot water to heat it. This will make the knife slide through the chocolate and caramel without sticking.
The caramel slices should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 7-14 days.
Get your FREE copy - Beginner's Guide To Low-Carb & Keto Diet.
FREE eBook - FREE pantry guide - FREE recipes - FREE group
Sugar-Free Caramel Slice
These sugar-free caramel slices are perfect if you are looking for a small treat to grab to satisfy your sweet tooth craving.
The caramel slices can also be individually wrapped in parchment paper then arranged in a container to give as a lovely homemade gift for birthdays or holidays. Enjoy!
Keto Caramel Slice
Recipe Video (tap to play)
Almond Flour Base
Almond Flour Crust
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and line a square baking pan with parchment paper. Combine all the ingredients for the crust in a bowl.
- Spread the almond meal/flour mixture around the bottom of your baking dish. Use the palm of your hand to firmly press the crust flat into the pan. Bake the crust 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a skillet melt together the butter and brown sweetener. Continuously stir the butter and sweetener until all the sweetener is completely melted.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream into the melted butter and sweetener while still stirring. The caramel will bubble for a bit while the cream is being poured in. Continue to stir the caramel on medium heat until it thickens and slides off your utensil, about 15-20 minutes.
- Do not step away for a second, you need to stir the caramel continuously so the sugar-free caramel thickens, but does not burn.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and mix in the vanilla and salt. Let the caramel cool 5-10 minutes before pouring over your almond flour crust and spreading the caramel out. Place your baking pan in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to allow the caramel to harden.
- TOP TIP: Continue to stir after you remove the caramel from the heat. It will help prevent the butter and caramel from separating. If your caramel does split, continue to stir as the butter cools and the butter begins to solidify again, it will go back to being caramel.
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe dish. Microwave the chocolate in 30-second increments until the chocolate is completely melted. Be sure to stir the chocolate in between. If you do not have a microwave you can melt the chocolate in a saucepan on low heat.
- Once the chocolate is melted pour it over your caramel and spread out with a spoon. Refrigerate your keto caramel slice for at least an hour to harden. Your caramels can also be placed in the freezer for 20 minutes to speed up the process.
Cutting and Storing
- To cut the caramels lift the caramels from the pan using the edges of the parchment paper. To easily cut the caramels run a knife under hot water and then cut the caramels into 32 pieces. Caramels slices should be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month in an air tight container. Caramels can also be individually wrapped in parchment paper to be given as a gift.
ULTIMATE LOW-CARB BUNDLE: Want to start low-carb FAST? Learn how to start TODAY ... even if you're a complete beginner. This has everything you need to Ditch The Carbs ... and live your best life! DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW.
More Recipes You May Like: