A superb recipe for sugar free lemon bars with a sugar free lemon drizzle. Low carb and gluten free.
It's the perfect lunchbox filler and healthy baking treat.
What are lemon bars?
Lemon bars are wonderfully zingy baked cake bars that are sugar-free, gluten-free and lower carb.
They're fabulous to pack in school lunch boxes because they are sturdy, yet still soft like regular cake and have that wonderful lemon zest taste.
On the top of each lemon bar, is drizzled with a sugar free syrup made with lemon juice and sweetener.
How much to use
Lemons vary considerably in their sweetness, sour taste and depth of zest. So the amount of sweetener I suggest may need to be adjusted. Always add the minimum amount of sweetener then add more for your favourite sugar replacement until you reach the desired sweetness.
Which sweetener to use
It may take some trial and error to find a low-carb or keto sweetener that you really love to use. If you are a beginner, you need to read the Ultimate Guide to Sweeteners.
Some sweeteners such as stevia need to be added very slowly. This is because stevia has a bitter aftertaste if you use an excessive amount.
Some sugar alcohols give you a slight cooling effect in the mouth.
Whichever sugar replacement you use, always check to see if it affects your blood sugars. While most do not have any effect, some such as maltitol, do raise blood sugar, so stay away from those.
More lemon recipes
If you love all things lemon (and I do) then take a look at my lemon cupcakes, lemon meringue pies and lemon coconut cake. I love my lemon dessert recipes to be quite tart and sharp in flavour, but you can easily adjust how much lemon and how much sweetener you use to your taste and your sweet tooth (or lack of).
Sugar Free Lemon Bars
Please rate this recipe
Sugar free lemon bars
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon powdered sweetener or more, to taste
Sugar free lemon bars
- Cream the softened butter and sweetener until pale and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs one at a time, mixing well before adding the next egg.
- Fold in the coconut flour and almond flour/meal.
- Fold in the yoghurt, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir gently until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a greased lined baking dish and bake at 180C/350F for 15-20 minutes, or until baked in the centre.
- While the lemon bars are still warm (but not hot) add the lemon drizzle before cutting it into slices.
- In a small glass, mix the lemon juice and the sweetener until dissolved. It won't dissolve completely, but make sure there are no lumps.
- Drizzle/spoon the sweetened lemon juice over the warm sugar free lemon bars. You can poke the cake with a fork to allow the drizzle to really sink in to the middle of the cake.
- Cut into slices/bars once it is cold and the lemon drizzle has soaked in.