My sugar-free meringue roulade came about by accident but what an amazing discovery AND it's only 0.5g net carbs (toppings are additional).
I have been trying for weeks to make a sugar-free pavlova that will stay crispy and not collapse, well it has been an epic fail on both counts.
But what I did discover, is that a failed sugar-free pavlova makes an amazing soft rollable sugar-free meringue roulade.
Sugar-Free Roulade - with cream and berries
Traditional pavlova recipes are incredibly high in sugar. The sugar gives pavlova it's structure and the sugar caramelises and gives the crispy texture.
The meringue mixture is sugar-free, so it will puff up like crazy, as would a regular roulade, but without the sugar, it deflates as soon as you remove it from the oven, this is actually a good thing.
Because the roulade doesn't go crispy (due to the lack of sugar) it is pliable and easily rolled up.
How To Roll The Meringue?
Start at one end, and slowly roll using the silicon sheet, similar to how sushi is made.
How To Serve This Healthy Sugar-Free Dessert?
I love to serve my low-carb desserts with whipped cream with sweetener and a sprinkle of berries on top.
This makes for an easy sugar-free dessert that my children love.
Sugar-free meringue roulade can also be filled with whipped cream, sweetened cream cheese, whipped coconut cream and any berries that you prefer.
Why not drizzle 90% cacao chocolate over the roulade for a decadent dinner party dessert?
What To Do With Leftover Egg Yolks?
Never ever throw anything away, and this especially goes for leftover egg yolks.
If I want something quick and easy, I add them to my 2-minute scrambled eggs in the morning for breakfast.
Alternatively, while the roulade is cooking, I will use the leftover egg yolks for sugar-free lemon curd to serve on my almond flour bread.
Sugar-Free Meringue Roulade
Please rate this recipe
- Using an electric whisk or food processor, whisk the egg whites and the cream of tartar until it begins to thicken.
- Slowly add the granulated sweetener whilst continuing to whisk to form stiff peaks.
- Once the sugar-free meringue is thick enough to not fall from the whisk when lifted, spread over the silicon baking sheet or baking parchment in a rectangular shape.
- Bake at 100C/210F for 1.5 hours.
- Remove form the heat and allow the meringue to cool before filling with whipped cream and berries.
- Roll the meringue into a roulade gently.
- Place on a serving tray and decorate with cream, berries and a little sweetener sprinkle all over.
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Want to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Delicious recipes to please a crowd - DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW
How to give up sugar - FREE 5 day mini course
Join my FUN mini challenge. You will learn:
- The 30 ways sugar is damaging you
- How to snack smarter
- How to eat out AND stay sugar free
- How sugar is hiding from you
- See what's in my pantry
- How to live sugar free for life!