My sugar-free meringue roulade came about by accident. I have been trying for weeks to make a sugar-free pavlova that will stay crispy and not collapse, well it has been an epic fail on both counts.
But what I did discover, is that a failed sugar-free pavlova makes and amazing soft rollable sugar-free meringue roulade.
Sugar-Free Meringue Roulade – with cream and berries
Traditional pavlova recipes are incredibly high in sugar. The sugar gives pavlova it’s structure and the sugar caramelises and gives the crispy texture.
The meringue mixture is sugar free, so puffs up like crazy, but deflates as soon as you remove it form the oven, this is actually a good thing.
Because it doesn’t go crispy (due to the lack of sugar) it is pliable and easily rolled up.
Sugar-free meringue roulade can be filled with whipped cream, sweetened cream cheese, whipped coconut cream and any berries that you like.Beautiful and simple sugar-free meringue roulade. Zero carbs.
Sprinkle some berries, cream and sweetener on top, for an easy sugar-free dessert. Why not drizzle 90% chocolate over it too, for a decadent dinner part dessert.
Sugar-Free Meringue Roulade – the recipe
Sugar-Free Meringue Roulade
- Using an electric beater, whisk the egg whites and the cream of tartar until it begins to thicken.
- Slowly add the granulated sweetener whilst continuing to whisk to form stiff peaks.
- Once the sugar-free meringue is thick enough to not fall from the whisk when lifted, spread over the silicon baking sheet or baking parchment in a rectangular shape.
- Bake at 100C/210F for 1.5 hours.
- Remove form the heat and allow the meringue to cool before filling with whipped cream and berries.
- Roll the meringue into a roulade gently.
- Place on a serving tray and decorate with cream, berries and a little sweetener sprinkle all over.
How to give up sugar - FREE 5 day mini course
Join my FUN mini challenge. You will learn:
- The 30 ways sugar is damaging you
- How to snack smarter
- How to eat out AND stay sugar free
- How sugar is hiding from you
- See what's in my pantry
- How to live sugar free for life!