Soft and pillowy sugar-free meringue roulade is the perfect way to use up leftover egg whites and is only 0.3g net carbs.
It's the perfect almost zero-carb dessert (until you add the toppings).
What is a roulade? What is a meringue?
A roulade, a meringue, and a pavlova are all sweet baked desserts made from sweetened whipped egg whites.
A roulade is baked as a large rectangle on a baking tray until cooked but remains soft. It is then cooled and rolled filled with whipped cream and berries.
A pavlova is baked as one large mound of whipped egg white mixture over a long period of time. It has a crunchy crust but is soft and pillowy inside.
A meringue is a small individual dessert that has been baked until the whipped egg whites are entirely crunchy. The meringue nests are cooled then filled with whipped heavy cream and fresh berries.
Is a roulade keto?
Traditional roulade, meringue, and pavlova recipes are incredibly high in sugar. The sugar gives whipped egg whites their structure as they bake, and the sugar caramelizes and gives a crispy texture.
This meringue roulade mixture is sugar-free, so it will puff up like crazy, as would a regular roulade, but without the sugar, it deflates as soon as you remove it from the oven. This is actually a good thing.
Because the roulade doesn't go crispy (due to the lack of sugar) it is pliable and easily rolled up.
How to roll up a roulade
Start at one end, and slowly roll using the silicon sheet, similar to how sushi is made.
Toppings for a roulade
I love to serve my low-carb desserts with whipped cream with sweetener and a sprinkle of fresh berries on top.
This makes for an easy sugar-free dessert that my children love.
Sugar-free meringue roulade can also be filled with plain whipped heavy cream, sweetened cream cheese, whipped coconut cream, and any low-sugar berries that you prefer.
Why not drizzle 90% cacao chocolate over the roulade for a decadent dinner party dessert?
How to use leftover egg yolks?
Never ever throw anything away, and this especially goes for leftover egg yolks.
If I want something quick and easy, add them to my 2-minute scrambled eggs in the morning for breakfast.
Alternatively, while the roulade is cooking, I will use the leftover egg yolks for sugar-free lemon curd to serve on my almond flour bread.
Please rate this recipe.
Sugar-Free Meringue Roulade Recipe
- Using an electric whisk or food processor, whisk the egg whites and the cream of tartar until it begins to thicken to stiff peaks.
- Slowly add the granulated sweetener whilst continuing to whisk to form stiff peaks.
- Once the sugar-free meringue is thick enough to not fall from the whisk when lifted, spread over the silicon baking sheet or baking parchment in a rectangular shape.
- Bake at 100C/210F for 1.5 hours.
- Remove form the heat and allow the meringue to cool before filling with whipped cream and berries.
- Roll the meringue into a roulade gently.
- Place on a serving tray and decorate with cream, berries and a little sweetener sprinkle all over.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.