Do you ever walk by those roasted nut vendors at Christmas and smell the amazing spices, but hate all the sugar in them? I've managed to develop a recipe for sugar-free cinnamon roasted almonds. These are beautiful to take to a shared meal or pop into a festive jar and give as a gift.
UPDATE: FREE printable gift tags have been added to the end of the post, take a look. These are a wonderful way to turn these sugar-free spiced almonds into an affordable gift this festive season.
Sugar-Free Cinnamon Roasted Almonds
If you're wanting to stay on track this Christmas and navigate all the high carb junk food that surrounds you, start by taking your own nibbles for a shared morning tea, lunch, or drinks night.
I find it really easy as I just don't fancy a mince pie or biscuits any more (now that is life-changing in itself), but just avoid all the bread, crackers, cakes, etc. and go for the meats, cheeses, and savoury items.
ULTIMATE LOW-CARB BUNDLE: Want to start low-carb FAST? Learn how to start TODAY ... even if you're a complete beginner. This has everything you need to Ditch The Carbs ... and live your best life! DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW.
I have been known to put pesto dip on a slice of ham and roll it up - voila - an instant LCHF snack and no one bats an eyelid.
For more Christmas ideas take a look at my low carb Christmas round-up.
A Fun Stocking Stuffer for Snackers
Do you have special snackers on your Christmas list?
You can give it a beautiful finish with a decorative bow and the printable cards available below.
Review The Ultimate Guide to Carbs in Nuts and Seeds to pick other options that you can roast as well too. You could create a gift basket filled with an assortment of low-carb, sugar-free roasted nuts and snacks!
FREE printable gift tags
Click here to download the PDF file for your free printable gift tags, ready for printing.
Low-Carb Nuts - how much s too much?
Nuts have healthy fats and are a great source of protein, but you want to pay attention to portion control. The net carbs will start adding up unless you track how many servings you're eating.
But many people slip up by overindulging on nuts and then realise their weight loss has stopped and wonder why.
They never make the connection between nuts and the slow creep of carbs back into their diet.
There are 2 reasons why nuts may be causing a weight-loss stall.
QUANTITY - Nuts are easy, portable and so easy to overdo. They can be oily and salty which is designed to hit our "bliss point". This encourages the packet to disappear before our very eyes.
CARB VALUE - Many don't realise how high in carbs some nuts and seeds can be. I can hear the groans already as I tell you to avoid cashews, chestnuts and pistachios.
Sugar Free Spiced Almonds
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy with a fork in a shallow bowl.
- Pour the whole almonds into the egg white mixture and stir with the fork until they are completely coated.
- Leave the almonds to sit for a while until most of the egg white has soaked into the almonds. The almonds should be coated and sticky, ready for the spices.
- Place the spices and sweetener in a cup and stir to combine evenly, then sprinkle over the sticky almonds.
- Turn gently with the fork so the almonds are coated with the spices.
- Line a baking tray with some kind of non stick liner or non stick baking paper.
- Place the spiced almonds on the lined baking tray making sure they are evenly spaced, and aren't sitting in clumps.
- Bake at 130C/260F for 10 minutes, turning half way through. You only need the egg whites to cook and completely dry out to help the storage. You don't want any dampness remaining or these will not stay fresh.
- Can be stored in a sealed glass jar for up to a month.
More Low Carb Christmas Recipes
- How to cook the perfect Christmas turkey - with an easy to follow cooking schedule
- Keto stuffing + VIDEO, using keto cornbread recipe
- Low carb Christmas mince pies - perfect for gifts
- Ham and egg cups
- Paleo prawn cocktail
- Salmon & Cream cheese bites
- Curried deviled eggs
- Stuffed meatballs
- Almond and orange flourless cake
- Lemon mini cupcakes
- Walnut & brandy truffles
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Want to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Get healthy low-carb recipes you'll LOVE - DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW
Wishing you all a very happy Christmas and a healthy new year.