Strawberry and lemon syllabub (lemon posset) … only 3.3g NET carbs. It's the easiest dessert EVER! Not only will it satisfy your sweet tooth, but it's bursting with those lovely warm-weather flavours too!
The EASIEST summer dessert needs only 4 ingredients and can be ready in under 5 minutes. Using simple ingredients, fresh strawberries, lemon zest and softly whipped cream, will make this one of your go-to dessert recipes to impress guests.
You can even add brandy, champagne or Prosecco for a special occasion.
What is lemon syllabub (lemon posset)?
Syllabubs are made from cream and wine, served cold. Lemon posset is a frothed custard made with cream, wine and eggs, traditionally served hot.
Because both recipes traditionally used whipped cream, caster sugar and wine, the names are often used interchangeably.
For those who are following a sugar-free diet, low-carb diet or keto diet, this recipe uses no added sugar. So you can enjoy a wonderful light and soft summer dessert and stay on track.
The best desserts use simple ingredients. This easy whipped cream dessert is perfect because you can find everything you need in your local grocery store.
- Heavy cream/double cream
- Fresh lemons for lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice
- Fresh strawberries
- Sweetener of choice
To make a sugar-free version of this classic recipe, we use sugar free sweeteners. I prefer to use erythritol or stevia, however other popular sugar replacements are xylitol and monk fruit. Just remember to avoid maltitol because it raises your blood sugars and will knock you out of ketosis.
- Alcohol - to bring lemon syllabub to the next next level, you can add brandy, dry white wine, or even champagne. Of course, you can omit the alcohol entirely if you prefer.
- Zest - lemon or lime zest both work beautifully for an elegant dessert
- Berries - use fresh berries of your choice (such as fresh blueberries), just remember to adjust the nutritional information accordingly. The carbs in fruit can vary considerably
- Cream - heavy cream, whipping cream, double cream are all interchangeable. You can even fold through some mascarpone or cream cheese.
Lemon Juice & Lemon Zest
You can create lemon zest (or lemon peel) using a microplane, a citrus zester, the fine side of your cheese grater (yes, that's what it's for), a small knife or even a vegetable peeler.
Reserve a small amount of the zest when adding to the cream. The remaining zest will be used to decorate and garnish the dessert.
Pour the whipping cream (heavy cream or double cream), sugar-free sweetener, lemon zest, and lemon juice into the bowl of your food processor. Using the whipping attachments, whip until soft peaks form.
Combine cream and alcohol of your choice (this is completely optional and for adults only). Fold into the cream mixture brandy, champagne, prosecco or white wine.
Wash then dry with kitchen paper towels. Reserve a few berries then cut the remainder into quarters or chunks, whichever you prefer. Fold gently into the sweetened lemon whipped cream.
Place whole or sliced strawberries onto the top to decorate. Add a few pieces of lemon zest.
I prefer to use a food processor with whisks that rotate and whisk simultaneously. It's the easiest way to whisk the cream into soft peaks.
Just be careful to watch the double cream as it whips. it can quickly go from beautiful delicate whipped cream to over whipped and lumpy. Remember, butter is simply cream that has been over-whipped. So if your cream has a yellow color to it at the bottom of your bowl, then you have begun to make butter.
Whipped lemon cream desserts are best served cold. If whipped cream is left at room temperature for a long period, it may be not safe to consume. Especially in hot summers.
Keep the prepared cream desserts in the fridge for up to 2 days in the fridge. Cover with plastic wrap to make an airtight seal so the fresh cream does not absorb flavors and strong smells from other food in the fridge.
Sugar Free Strawberry And Lemon Syllabub (whipped cream)
Please rate this recipe ↩
- Whip the cream, sweetener, lemon juice, lemon zest and brandy together until soft peaks form. You can use a food processor or handheld electric mixer.
- Gently fold in the diced strawberries to the whipped cream and spoon or pipe into champagne glasses.
- Place in the fridge to set for a minimum of one hour.
- Garnish and decorate with a strawberry and lemon zest slices.