We all love meatballs as a family and wanted to find a healthy alternative to the starchy pasta that we used to serve them with. Carrot pasta is higher in carbs but is perfect for families with picky eaters and you want them to eat more vegetables.
Tuscan Meatballs with Carrot Pasta Or Zoodles
I have seen many pasta alternatives on the internet using zucchini and other vegetables. What are Zoodles, you ask? We tried carrot pasta to begin with and wow, it is absolutely delicious.
We actually enjoy this far more than we ever did with traditional pasta, which is hard to believe but when you try it, you’ll know why! Now I tend to use zoodles more often, but the carrot pasta still makes an occasional appearance at the dinner table.Take a look at this amazing lower carb meal with carrot pasta for families with picky eaters.
By replacing pasta this way, you cut your carbs dramatically and fill up on nutritious vegetables. What could be better?
You can also make pasta with zucchini to make a green pasta. And don’t throw away the water you steam the carrot pasta in, this makes a lovely carrot juice, hot or cold.
Serve this meal with parmesan cheese, cream cheese and parsley to round out your meal.
Tuscan Meatballs with Carrot Pasta
- 5 carrots
- Fry the garlic in butter until softened then add the tomatoes and rosemary.
- Simmer uncovered to thicken and reduce liquid. This takes about 15 minutes.
- While it is cooking, prepare the meatballs.
- Once the sauce is reduced enough, puree with a stick blender until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well. Form into golf ball size portions and press really well together as firmly as you can.
- As it is summer here in NZ, I can't bear to have the oven on so I fry them in olive oil on all sides until browned and cooked through. Alternatively, place them in a baking dish and cook at 180C/350F for 20 minutes.
- I used my vegetable slicer that turns any vegetable into thin strips.
- Place the carrots in a saucepan with only a couple of cm of water so the carrots are steamed instead of boiled.
- Turn the carrots over once or twice while steaming. It takes 5 minutes maximum to steam them until soft.