This recipe has been updated, improved and moved. So take a look at the new and improved flourless berry sponge and enjoy and even better low carb cake.
I try not to make many cakes these days, but when I do I make sure they are low carb, wheat free, sugar free versions. You may think why not have the “real thing” but when you compare the carb and sugar content of a regular berry cake with this wheat free boysenberry cake, it is astounding.
A regular boysenberry cake, apparently “made with healthy ingredients” contains a whopping 20.5g carbs and 11.7g sugar. This wheat free boysenberry cake only contains 3.3g carbs and only 1.3g sugar.
Also being wheat free, it won’t give you the spike in your sugar then insulin (followed by a sugar crash and hunger), and it will be kinder on your gut. Remember to read Wheat Belly and see why giving up wheat is so important to your health and appetite.
Serve with coconut cream and more berries.
Wheat Free Boysenberry Cake
- Melt the coconut oil and mix in the sweetener and coconut flour.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing in between each egg. They must be at room temperature, otherwise you may cause the coconut oil to harden and end up with a lumpy cake.
- Add the vanilla paste and baking soda.
- Leave for 5-10 minutes to allow the coconut flour to thicken.
- Just before baking, add the FROZEN berries. This keeps them whole and stops the cake from turning pink with the juice of defrosted berries.
- Bake at 180C for 20 minutes, or until cooked in the centre.
- I always use a ring tin to cook my cakes.