What an awesome video diary/documentary of a diabetic kid, and interviews with other young diabetics. He talks about how he was diagnosed, what he was told to eat and how he turned his control around by ignoring the guidelines.
Their common question is why are diabetics continued to be told to eat what you like, then medicate for it?
“Let food be thy medicine – Hippocrates”
The problem with the current advice is that you have to calculate your carbs, variables and quantities then try and calculate your insulin. This has incredible room for error at every step of each calculation and administration.
Remember the law of small numbers. Eat low carb, requires less insulin, which will result in less and smaller errors. The more carbs you eat the more variability there is. The more insulin you require, the increased risk if insulin resistance.
Hanna Boethuis – T1 and diabetes expert
- “it’s not a solution, it’s covering up the real problem”.
- “I tried and I failed, I tried and I failed, I tried and I failed, following the guidelines I got from my doctors, because they are supposed to know?”
- “if you want stable blood sugars and not have to correct every 3 hours, then eat because you’re low, then correct again because you ate too much”
- “even people who can produce they own insulin it isn’t good to eat this much sugar and carbs, then why should I who cannot produce any insulin eat 60% carbs with every meal”
- “my total insulin I use each day is one third of my previous basal rate”
Further Reading ::
- Gabriel’s Diabetic Kitchen, where he helps other diabetic kids manage their diabetes the low carb way.
- Read Dr Bernstein’s Diabetic solution
- Low carb for diabetes article written by Kelley Pounds RN, Certified Diabetes Educator.
- TypeOneGrit – join their community Facebook page. They are parents who follow Dr Bernstein’s low carb approach to stabilise their diabetic kid’s blood glucose control.
- Diabetic University – watch Dr Bernstein’s series of videos to learn how to gain control and achieve normal blood sugars.
- Further videos – Dr Sarah Hallberg – reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines
- Recipes – for all your low carb recipes which have no sugars, no grains and are wholesome real ingredients, take a look at our recipe finder. When you ditch the carbs, you are opened up to a whole new world of real food. Eating healthy low carb food is an important part of effective diabetes management. Start today and make a change for tomorrow.
Join my FREE newsletter