Lemon and coconut pork was a favourite dish my mother made for us when I was a child. To convert the recipe to become low carb, all I had to do was to omit the rice and throw extra vegetables into the wok.
Scroll below to watch the quick cooking video.
Lemon And Coconut Pork
We used to call our version of lemon and coconut pork dish – “pork and crunchy celery“. The sauce was thickened with cornflour, and it was served with rice.
If you are just starting out with low-carb cooking, you might wonder how do we eat stir fries when they are served with copious amounts of rice? Easy peasy. Stir fries are brilliant at being adapted to becoming low carb.
Firstly, avoid using any sweet or sticky sauces, they will be loaded with sugars and cornflour. Secondly, avoid the rice completely and add extra vegetables such as leafy greens, spinach, bok chop, broccoli. Serve each portion in a bowl.
So now you have an easy healthy family dinner with double the vegetables.Amazing easy tips to make any stir fry low carb. The perfect quick, healthy, family meal.
If you still feel you miss rice, try my cauliflower rice, but instead of adding coriander, add a squeeze of lemon juice or Chinese spices so it suits this dish.
Lemon and Coconut Pork
- oil for frying extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp ginger crushed
- 500 g pork diced
- 1 broccoli cut into small florets
- 1/2 celery cut into 1/2cm
- 3 heads bok choy cut in half
- 2 red capsicum/bell pepper diced
- 250 ml beef stock
- 25 g desiccated/shredded coconut
- 1/2 juice lemon
- Heat the oil in a wok on it's highest setting.
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 1 minute.
- Add the pork pieces and stir until cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Add the broccoli and beef stock, cook for another minute or two until the broccoli has softened.
- Add the capsicum, celery, bok choy, cook for another minute.
- Finally, add the desiccated coconut and lemon juice, Stir.
- Serve with more coconut on top.