Going to a family BBQ? Bring a bowl of bacon broccoli cauliflower salad and it will knock their socks off. I guarantee it will be the first salad from the salad bar to disappear.
Do you want to know what will make this low-carb bacon broccoli cauliflower salad even yummier? SOUR CREAM, of course!
You definitely have the ingredients for this! This salad is really easy to prepare.
Easy keto salads
Salads are an easy go-to for side dishes with your favorite meals. Dinner time can get dull after making the same thing every night – so why not make delicious creamy broccoli and cauliflower salad instead.
You’ll be able to convince your picky eaters to eat more veggies with this one!
And if you have been with me here for a while, you know my number one trick to get kiddos to eat their veggies? Yes, drown it in dressing. And every kid loves bacon!
Ingredients and substitutions
There are two parts to the bacon broccoli cauliflower salad - the salad and the dressing. All quantities and instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Raw fresh broccoli and cauliflower.
- Sour cream - or you can use cream cheese or marscapone.
- Spring onions - fresh spring onions (scallions) are bets for flavor and clor but you couldse dried onion flakes and garlic flakes instead.
- Bacon pieces - if vegetarian, use another protein that you prefer.
- Vinegar - this adds a lovely zesty bite to the sour cream dressing. make sure not to use balsamic that has added sugars.
- Seasonings - such as salt, pepper, chili flakes and even lemon pepper.
Flavours and variations
When you think of salads, you immediately think of sliced vegetables, a few tomatoes, and some leafy greens. Not very appealing and it can be a bit bland. No one likes bland.
But when you add all the delicious low-carb ingredients in this keto salad recipe together, this crunchy creamy salad will become a regular in your keto salad repertoire.
And because there are crunchy vegetables, smooth creamy sour cream, and smokey flavored bacon with vinegar, there’s a definitely added dimension in taste and texture.
You can change things up a little with this recipe, too! Why not add some walnuts or roasted pumpkin seeds? Or add differently colored cauliflower for an even prettier salad?
Place the broccoli and cauliflower into a large saucepan. Cover with water and boil until tender but not overcooked. Make sure there is a little crunchy centre in the stalks otherwise your vegetables will be soggy and wet.
Once cooked, drain all the water and allow to stand with the lid removed so all the steam escapes.
Fry the bacon pieces in a small frying pan. Cook until crispy and golden brown. These replace croutons in a keto salad and add flavour and protein to the salad too.
Mix all the ingredients for the sour cream sauce together, then stir through the cooked broccoli and cauliflower. Always allow the vegetables to cool for a few minutes before folding through the sour cream dressing. The vegetables can be warm to create a warm salad or completely cooled for a cold salad.
Crisp vegetables, crunchy bacon, and creamy dressing. What’s not to love??
More keto salad recipes
Eating vegetables just keeps getting easier! Your kids will approve of this one! The whole family will love a hamburger salad (Big Mac salad), taco salad, keto chicken salad, and even crackslaw are perfect healthy family salad recipes.
Low-Carb Bacon Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Recipe
Please rate this recipe.
- 150 g (3 cups) broccoli chopped
- 150 g (3 cups) cauliflower chopped
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower pieces for a few minutes, until just cooked. It's nice for them to be a little crunchy in the centre. Once cooked, strain the water, allow the steam to escape and set aside to cool.
- Gently fry the diced bacon until cooked and starting to brown. Remove from heat. Allow to cool.
Creamy Bacon Sauce
- In a large bowl, add the spring onion, sour cream, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix.
- Add the chopped seeds, nuts, bacon and bacon grease to the creamy sauce (keep a few nuts and bacon pieces aside, for garnish). Mix
- Gently stir the broccoli and cauliflower through the creamy bacon sauce and serve with a few nuts, seeds and bacon pieces to decorate.
2,500 RECIPES - MEAL PLANS - COOKBOOKS
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.