I truly believe these are the best sugar-free & low-carb lemon meringue pies I have ever made.
In addition, at only 3.3g net carbs, they will keep you on track while not being deprived at all!
Sugar-Free & Low-Carb Lemon Meringue Pies
These little deconstructed sugar-free & low carb lemon meringue pies are incredible.
You can make the 3 layers ahead of time, then put it all together when you need to serve - hurray!Easy sugar-free low carb lemon meringue pies. Can be enjoyed hot or cold
Which Lemons Should You Use?
Simply choose your favourite variety of lemon, I personally like Meyer lemons. But each lemon tree and each lemon will vary considerably in its sweetness or sharp taste.
So to ensure your lemon curd turns our beautifully, please continue to taste and add more sweetener until you find the perfect balance between sweet and sharp taste.
Read more: The Ultimate Guide To Sweeteners
How To Assemble The Mini Lemon Meringue pies
The following images show you exactly how to make deconstructed mini lemon meringue pies.
If you make the crumble, lemon custard/curd and meringue separately, you can assemble them ahead of time and keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
You can even make these a day ahead - genius!
Family Sized Low-Carb Lemon Meringue Pie (large)
Another option is to make one large family-friendly low-carb and sugar-free healthy lemon meringue pie.
I generally pop this in the oven once dinner is being served, and it will be baked ready to eat after you have finished the main meal.
It can also be made ahead of time, and cooled so you can enjoy it cold (my preference).
Family Friendly Sugar-Free Desserts
You may like to print and save these family-friendly and budget-friendly low-carb healthy recipes too:
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Who else wants to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Get all the healthy low-carb recipes you’ll need – visit the LOW-CARB SHOP
Low-Carb Lemon Meringue Pies
Lemon custard (curd)
- 6 (6 ) egg whites
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) granulated sweetener of choice or more, to your taste
- Mix all the ingredients together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs or biscuit crumbs.
- Spread the crumble mixture over a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 10-15 minutes until golden. Turn once or twice in this time so the crumbs brown all over and cook until crispy.
- Remove from the oven.
Lemon custard (curd)
- While the crumble is baking, whisk together the egg yolks, whole egg, sweetener and lemon juice/zest in a saucepan.
- Heat over a very gentle heat (whisking continuously) until it is a smooth custard consistency.
- Add the butter and mix again while melting. Stir until thickened again.
- Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg whites and sweetener until stiff peaks form.
- Place 6 circles of meringue on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 10 - 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Divide the crumble mixture between the 6 glasses or mason jars.
- Divide the lemon custard/curd on each of the bases.
- Place a baked meringue on top of each to complete the sugar-free & low-carb lemon meringue pies.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
How to give up sugar - FREE 5 day mini course
Join my FUN mini challenge. You will learn:
- The 30 ways sugar is damaging you
- How to snack smarter
- How to eat out AND stay sugar free
- How sugar is hiding from you
- See what's in my pantry
- How to live sugar free for life!