Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers (Low-Carb) is perfect for a quick and easy mid-week healthy family meal. Budget-friendly and high protein.
There are even options to make them Mexican flavored or spicy Indian too.
Carbs in peppers
Peppers (capsicums) are a low carb vegetable full of vitamin c. They are colorful addition to summer salads, stir fries and the perfect shape for stuffing with ground meat then baked in the oven covered in cheese.
Bell pepper nutrition per 100g: 5.3 g net carbs, 1 g protein, 0.2 g fat, 27 calories.
Nutritional values from cronometer.com
It's easy to stuff some bell peppers with a few simple ingredients mixed together then baked in the oven with a topping of grated/shredded cheese.
You can easily vary the stuffed pepper mince/ground beef recipe to become Mexican flavored by adding chili, cumin, and coriander or Indian by adding curry powder.
Traditionally, baked stuffed peppers are Spanish, but you can make them any way you want.
- Bell peppers - any color will do. In fact, you could cook a few colors to make dinner colorful and vibrant.
- Ground beef - any ground meat will work. You can also use ground pork, ground chicken, or even ground turkey.
- Garlic - fresh crushed is best but garlic powder or granules will also work.
- Button mushrooms - finely diced
- Herbs - I used dried thyme, oregano but you can vary the herbs and sices to make Mexican or Indian stuffed peppers too.
- Bacon - adds a lovely smokey taste to the baked pepper recipe.
- Shredded cheese - use a mild cheese such as mozzarella or cheddar.
Once you have stuffed your peppers, place in a prepared oiled baking dish.
Cover with grated/shredded cheese and bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes.
To cook stuffed peppers in the air fryer you need to have your ground beef stuffed peppers ready to go.
- Preheat to 180C/350F.
- Gently lower each stuffed pepper covered with cheese onto the oiled wire rack. Ensure there is plenty of space between each ground beef stuffed pepper and the edge of the basket.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your air fryer and the size of your stufed peppers.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
If you love low-carb stuffed peppers but would like them to be even lower carb, why not just cook the beef in small ramekin dishes and do without the pepper/capsicum completely.
You will still get all the flavor of the beef and spices, but without the carbs from the peppers. Sprinkle with plenty of your favorite cheese and voila!
Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers (Low-Carb)
Please rate this recipe
- Heat the butter and fry the onion and garlic on a medium heat.
- Add the mince/ground beef and brown thoroughly.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and stir.
- Simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes to reduce the liquid and thicken the mixture. Stir occasionally.
- Cut the tops from the peppers, cut in half and remove all the seeds.
- Press the beef mixture into each pepper firmly, then place each one in an oiled baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated/shredded cheese.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes.