Courgette mint and feta fritters are my children's favourite way to eat courgettes (zucchini) and they ovenlike them in their school lunch boxes.
Are courgettes/zucchini low carb?
Courgettes are a wonderful low-carb vegetable that has a mild sweet taste. They are low in carbs, high in fibre, and incredibly versatile.
Nutrition per 100g raw courgette: 3.1 g total carbs, 1 g fibre, 2.1 g net carbs, 1.2 g protein, 0.3g fat, 17 calories.
Zucchini is so versatile. They can be boiled, grilled, BBQ, fried, or roasted. Zucchini can be used in savoury recipes such as zoodles, zucchini taco boats, and fritters, or in sweet recipes such as sweet zucchini bread.
When courgettes (or zucchini) are in season, buy up large and make huge batches of these courgette mint feta fritters. They are so delicious, colourful and nutritious.
Keep the extra for lunch the next day at work or school. Many fritters have wheat, flour or other agents to bind them together. You don't need any of those, just 4 ingredients go into these low carb fritters.
You don't need any of those, just 4 ingredients go into these low carb fritters. Serve with a salad and drizzle with oil, or use as a side dish, for lunch or dinner.
- Courgettes, zucchini - fresh shredded and drained.
- Eggs - use medium eggs. If you only have large eggs, reduce the number by one or 2 depending on how large they are.
- Feta cheese - cut into smal cubes, or you can use cream cheese or marscapone cheese.
- Mint - fresh mint is best, howver you can use dried mint when frhs mint is not available.
Courgette mint and feta fritters also make an excellent after school snack. Sprinkle with salt before serving to give it that extra punch of flavour.
If your courgette/zucchini fritters have always turned out soggy, it will be because you haven't squeezed out enough water as you are grating/shredding the courgette/zucchini. Also don't add salt to the mixture as that draws out even more water, have salt at the dinner table and season them then.
Stir the mixture each time before you add another spoon to the frying pan, the egg has a tendency to drain to the bottom.
More courgette recipes
Courgette Mint and Feta Fritters
Please rate this recipe
- 5 medium courgettes/zucchini grated/shredded
- 50 g (1.8 oz) feta cut into cubes
- 1 handful fresh mint roughly chopped
- 2 eggs - medium see notes below
- coconut oil or butter for frying
- Grate the courgette/zucchini and squeeze out all the excess water.
- Add the mint, feta and eggs and stir through.
- Heat a frying pan and add fry small batches in coconut oil or butter until golden.
- You may need to add extra eggs depending on how large your zucchinis are to hold the fritters together.
- I use medium 6-7 inch zucchini, which creates about 1.5 - 2 cups shredded each.