These low-carb salmon patties with a lime-avocado dressing are a simple way to use canned or fresh salmon for a healthy family-friendly dinner tonight.
Dinner can be on your table in only 20 minutes, including the lime and avocado creamy dressing.
They're dairy-free PLUS there are even options to make this with almond flour or coconut flour.
What are salmon patties?
Salmon patties are also known as salmon cakes. They are an economical and cheap way to stretch out salmon. They can be served hot or cold. They can be frozen for a week's meal prep and are perfect for a healthy school lunch box.
Salmon patties are low carb and high protein so perfect for the keto diet.
Can you use canned salmon?
I love fresh salmon, but using tinned/canned salmon is great to keep in your pantry for a quick lunch and an economical alternative to expensive fresh salmon.
If your canned salmon is flavored or has a sauce, always read the nutrition labels so you can spot any added sugar, wheat, or other starches in your canned salmon.
If you run out of salmon, you can use canned tuna. Drain well then use in the recipe in place of salmon.
You only need a few simple pantry ingredients to make salmon cakes. The herbs, spices, and seasonings help make these salmon cakes taste delicious.
If your pantry is almost empty, or you have an emergency where food is running low, it's a great healthy recipe. All the ingredients are probably in your pantry right now.
- Salmon - use fresh or canned. Tuna can also be ised instead of canned salmon.
- Spring oinion - slice or chop finely. You could also use ¼ onion finely chopped or dried onion flakes.
- Cumin, turmeric - dried cumin and turmeric.
- Dill, parsley - fresh or dried dill and parsely work well and are perfect to flavour salmon recipes
- Garlic - fessh or dried garlci will work well in this recipe.
- Paprika - smoekd parprika adds an earthy smoky falvor to the salmon cakes
- Egg - an egg and it's protein helps to bind all the fish cake ingredients together.
- Seasoning - add salt and pepper to your liking.
It's a simple recipe that even your children can make.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll into low-carb salmon patties with your hands, a cookie scoop or press into a ¼ cup measuring cup.
- Place each salmon pattie into the frying pan, oven or air fryer.
How to cook in the frying pan
The smell of these salmon patties cooking is incredible. The spices and turmeric turn this quick dish into a phenomenal meal. I pressed a handful of the salmon patty mixture into a measuring cup then press firmly with the back of a spoon into little patty shapes.
Cook the low-carb salmon patties in healthy cooking oil in a frying pan or skillet. I like to use coconut oil, on medium heat.
Let them fry gently, and if they don't lift off the frying pan easily, let them cook for a little longer so they are crispy on the base and can be flipped without breaking.
How to cook in the oven
As you roll each salmon pattie, place them onto a prepared baking tray that has been lined with baking parchment. Bake in the oven on 180C/350F for 15-20 minutes.
How to cook in the air fryer
Using an air fryer to cook salmon fishcakes is quick and easy.
- Preheat to 180C/350F.
- Spray the wire basket with cooking oil.
- Place each fishcake into the oiled basket. Ensure there is plenty of space between them.
- Cook for 10 minutes, open the drawer and turn each fishcake once.
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of fishcakes being cooked.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
Cooked salmon patties can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Place a sheet of baking parchment in between each layer of salmon cakes so it is easy to remove one or two at a time.
Best sauce for salmon
While the low-carb salmon patties are cooking, place a handful of leafy salad on your plate and mix the lime avocado dressing. All you do is throw all the dressing ingredients on a blender - and voila!
Best keto side dishes to serve with salmon
There are so many delicious low-carb and keto side dishes to serve with salmon. Salmon is a versatile family-friendly dinner and so you need to choose quick and easy healthy side dishes the whole family will love.
Here are some of my favorite keto side dishes to serve with salmon.
More salmon recipes
Please rate this recipe.
Low-Carb Salmon Patties Recipe (dairy free)
Low-Carb Salmon Patties
- 500 g (1.1 lb) tinned/canned salmon drained
- 2 eggs - medium
- 50 g (½ cup) almond meal/flour see notes
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced crushed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- +/- salt and pepper to taste
Low-Carb Salmon Patties
- Place all the salmon patty ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine.
- Scoop some of the salmon mixture into a ¼ cup measuring cup. With the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the cup to pack it tightly. Turn the measuring cup over onto a plate. Repeat to make 12 patties.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and cook the salmon patties on a gentle heat. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes and use a spatula to flip them. TOP TIP - If a patty does not release when you try to flip it, cook a little longer until it is crispy and ready to flip.
Avocado and Lime Dip
- Whilst the patties are cooking, prepare the avocado dip. Place all the ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth. Spoon into a serving dish.
- Place 3 low-carb salmon patties on a bed of salad with the avocado and lime dip on the side, or drizzled over the top.
- Cooked salmon patties can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.