Confused about making a healthy lower-carb lunch box?
Take the stress out of your mornings and look at these super easy ideas + lunch box FREE PLANNER + FREE kid's guide book.
LOW CARB KIDS: Want help getting started? Join my FREE Facebook group - Low-Carb Lunch Box hacks. Come and join in the fun and let me help you get organised when it's time to go back to school.
How to make a healthy lunch box (lower-carb friendly)
This is my 4th in the series of Low-Carb Kids. You have all asked for more examples and inspiration for easy healthy lower-carb lunch box ideas.
If you are new here these are great pages to start with.
- Top 10 Myths Of Low-Carb Kids
- Low Carb Kids 1 - Why, tips and tricks.
- Low Carb Kids 2 - a printable guide to get your kids involved. How to plan your lunchbox each day.
- Low Carb Kids 3 -a 2-week guide on low carb lunch boxes.
- Low Carb Kids 5 - healthy sugar-free snacks for after school
- Printable PDF of Healthy Sugar-Free Snacks for after school
- Low Carb Kids 6 - an entire month of school lunch ideas
- Low Carb Kids 7 - My guest post on Diet Dr, "How To Raise Children On Real Low Carb Food".
- Low Carb Kids 8 - How to help your child eat real food - with an action plan
For quick inspiration for making a healthy lower-carb lunch box use my recipe finder.
TOP TIP: Don't forget to use last night's dinner for lunch (or even breakfast). Make a bigger batch of quiche, meatloaf, save leftover roast meat, cook extra sausages etc. Anything to make life easier in the morning has to be good.Confused about making a healthy lower-carb lunch box? Take the stress out of your mornings and look at these super easy ideas + lunch box PLANNER.
Why go lower-carb?
All children will benefit from ditching the ultra-processed junk food and lowering their sugar and wheat intake.
My children are lower-carb kids, not NO-carb kids. I emphasise their meals should be from whole food sources that are naturally lower in carbs and nutrient-dense. When you base your children’s meals on whole real food, they almost become low-carb by default.
Here are just some of the low-carb lunch boxes I have made.
Lower-Carb Lunch Box Recipes - savoury
Almond flour bread - the first step to removing processed bread from their lunch box.
Coconut flour mini cheese loaves - another lower-carb bread, especially for those who can not tolerate almonds
Devilled eggs - the perfect high-protein punch. Throw away your protein powders.
LCHF chicken nuggets - these are guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser
Salmon and cream cheese bites - sounds tricky but it's a one-bowl recipe that my kiddos LOVE.
Easy egg salad - a real tummy filler. Why not add some crunchy celery too?
Paleo scotch eggs - a powerhouse of nutrition and portable too.
Lower-Carb Lunch Box Recipes - sweet
Coconut flour choc chip cookies - perfect if your child attends a nut-free school
Grain-free granola bars - no sugar-free lunch box is complete without a granola bar.
Lemon and blueberry cupcakes - who doesn't love a cute cupcake (sugar-free of course) in their healthy lower-carb lunch box?
Chia berry fresca - perfect to come home to a colourful and healthy drink.
Healthy Lunch Box Planner
So how do you start to plan a healthy lunch box? As easy as you can. Don't make life difficult.
Leftovers are KING! Cook once. Serve twice.
- Look at what leftovers you have - quick, easy, cheap and nutritious.
- First, choose your quality protein. Chicken. Canned tuna. Boiled eggs. Ham (from the bone, not ultra-processed).
- Give some colour with vegetables such as carrot sticks. Celery. Stuffed peppers. Broccoli. Cherry tomatoes.
- Add some healthy fats (and probably some more protein). Cheese. Nuts. Cream cheese. Cheese dips.
- Finally, add a little treat such as berries. Low-carb cupcakes. Grain-free granola bar. Fruit kebabs.
The Ultimate LOW-CARB Lunchbox Book: This isn’t about doing more, it’s about doing things DIFFERENTLY!! - CLICK HERE
If you would like to learn how to become a low carb family that ditches the soda and junk food, you may wish to look at my latest eBook "Low Carb Easy Family Meals - 35 easy recipes."