Delicious smooth and creamy keto chocolate frosting that only needs 4 ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes.
This easy low-carb keto buttercream frosting can be used to decorate double-layer cakes, single-layer cakes, keto cupcakes, cookies, or even just enjoy it by the spoonful.
What's a keto fudge cake or a low-carb cupcake without a creamy delicious keto chocolate frosting?
This sugar-free chocolate frosting may have no sugar, but it is still sweet and tasty. Packed with yummy ingredients that create a rich, creamy treat.
Is frosting keto?
No, traditional frosting and regular buttercream recipes contain a large amount of added sugar or confectioners sugar (icing sugar).
This keto buttercream recipe has no added sugar, is naturally low-carb, and fits in perfectly with your low-carb diet or keto diet. It is only 1 gram of net carbs per serving.
It's sugar-free, low-carb, keto, gluten-free, and one of the best keto icing recipes you will ever taste.
Whipping up this chocolate frosting is a snap and only requires a few healthy ingredients that you probably already have at home.
To make this keto chocolate frosting recipe, you'll need:
- Cream cheese - look for a full-fat variety without any additives to make this cream cheese frosting extra rich and delicious. Spreadable cream cheese or low-fat cream cheese will not whip to soft peaks and will collapse on your cake.
- Coconut cream - I add coconut cream to make the cream cheese a spreadable consistency, but you may add almond milk, double cream, or heavy cream instead if you don't want the subtle coconut flavor that coconut cream adds.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - you may need to play around with the quantities for this keto chocolate frosting, as the cocoa powder sweetness and bitterness varies so much between brands. Start with a little and work your way up!
- Your choice of sweetener - depending on how sweet you like frosting, you may want to add more or less powdered sweetener. The most common keto sweeteners are powdered erythritol, monk fruit, allulose, or xylitol.
Powdered sweeteners give a smooth texture to your frosting that powdered sugar would normally do. If you only have granulated sweetener then place it in your food processor or coffee grinder and grind until powdered.
See the exact quantities and nutritional information, carbs, and calories, in the keto frosting recipe card below.
You only need a few simple kitchen tools to make low-carb frosting with cream cheese.
- Mixing bowls - a medium or large mixing bowl is best to help incorporate some air to make soft peaks.
- Measuring spoons and cups - or a kitchen scale, depending on how you prefer to measure baking ingredients.
- Electric hand mixer - or stand mixer, food processor, or stick blender.
- Cake stand - to help you decorate your cakes and add frosting to each layer.
Making this sugar-free keto chocolate frosting is so simple!
STEP 1: Mix the coconut cream with the granulated or powdered sugar substitute and the cocoa powder. Make sure it's fully mixed and homogenous.
STEP 2: Add the softened cream cheese and mix again.
That's it! You've got homemade sugar-free frosting.
Want to change it up? This simple sugar-free chocolate frosting recipe is surprisingly versatile. Here are a few ways to enjoy this recipe.
- Chocolate peanut butter keto frosting - is there a better pairing out there than chocolate and peanut butter? Add a spoonful of dehydrated peanut butter powder or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to get that yummy nutty flavor.
- Vanilla frosting - not in the mood for chocolate? Omit the cocoa powder and instead add vanilla extract or vanilla essence.
- Chocolate cinnamon frosting recipe - kick up the spice factor in this sugar-free frosting with a few dashes of cinnamon along with your cocoa powder.
- Chocolate orange frosting recipe - add 1 teaspoon of orange extract to make a chocolate frosting with a hint of orange to decorate your next chocolate cake.
This chocolate keto frosting will keep best in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.
How to use keto frosting
There are so many ways you can enjoy this cream cheese frosting. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Chocolate cake - are you a chocoholic? If so, make this flourless sugar-free chocolate fudge cake and decorate the middle of the cake layers and smooth all over the top as shown. Or for a quick dessert make the 1-minute chocolate mug cake and decorate it with a spoonful of icing!
- Vanilla cake - prefer vanilla? This delicious chocolate frosting works well on this 1-minute keto vanilla cake too! Keto vanilla frosting is perfect for any keto cake.
- Cupcakes - whip up a batch of low-carb keto cupcakes and enjoy them guilt-free!
- Cookies - this chocolate frosting works perfectly with low-carb sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and keto peanut butter cookies too.
- Fruit - grab a few of your favorite low-carb fruits and enjoy dipping them into this frosting recipe.
Yes. For a stronger chocolate flavor, add more unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon at a time. If the sugar-free frosting becomes a little stiff or too thick, add extra liquid such as heavy cream or almond milk until you reach a smooth consistency.
Air bubbles can be trapped inside the cream cheese when whipping with the other ingredients. To remove any air bubbles, tap the mixing bowl on a folded kitchen cloth towel (or folded tea towel) on the kitchen bench.
Chocolate buttercream frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Yes, you can freeze leftover chocolate buttercream frosting in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Leave on the countertop at room temperature for 2 hours to defrost. Use within 3 days.
dutch processed cocoa powder
You can add leftover frosting to a single layer cake, onto chocolate chip cookies, or a single-serve mug cake.
You can either add more cocoa powder or omit some of the liquid from the coconut cream or heavy cream.
To make a pourable or thinner chocolate icing you can add additional liquid such as heavy whipping cream, coconut milk, or other milk.
To make a light and fluffy chocolate buttercream frosting, gently fold in some whipped cream. A traditional buttercream frosting is light and soft.
You can add 50g (1.8oz) of unsalted butter. Allow the butter to soften and come to room temperature. Beat the butter first before creaming the butter and cream cheese together. Your buttery keto chocolate buttercream frosting will now set hard when placed in the fridge.
Traditional cream cheese frosting recipes use powdered sugar. To make this low-carb keto, you will need to use a powdered sweetener such as erythritol, xylitol, monk fruit, or allulose.
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Chocolate Frosting (Keto Buttercream Frosting)
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoon coconut cream
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened) powder
- 2 teaspoon granulated sweetener of choice or more, to your taste
- Mix the coconut cream, cocoa powder, and powdered sweetener together.
- Add the softened cream cheese and mix until the keto frosting is completely lump-free and smooth.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Can heavy whipping cream be substituted for the coconut cream?
Yes, however, you may need to use a little less becuase heavy whipping cream is often more liquid than coconut cream.
Looks amazing. Glossy and creamy.
Really liked this frosting, I did use more sweetener (erythritol) than you said, but I like things very sweet. I also added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. It was perfect! At first I didn't think there would be enough to frost my 13x9 inch cake, but there was. Thanks!
This was perfect frosting. I used heavy cream, then thinned it out to fluff it up with cashew milk. My son likes Truvia, so I used that to sweeten + 2 drops of maple syrup + 1 tbs of vanilla extract + a few drops of stevia liquid + a pinch of salt (for double the recipe). He said it is amazing! Thank you so much for posting!
This was perfectly delicious!! I used it on Dr. B legal brownies!! Just whipped perfectly in my blendtec. Thanks!
Yay Chrissy! Love, love, love Dr. Bernstein and all that he does.