How to make a quick and easy 1-minute coconut flour keto vanilla berry mug cake - in the microwave, oven, and even air fryer.
The best part? It's keto, sugar-free, low-carb and made with coconut flour - this will please even the most ardent cake lover!
It's only 5g net carbs! PLUS there are tips to help you reduce the carbs even further in the recipe notes below.
What is a mug cake?
If you have ever had a cake emergency, a mug cake is an absolute lifesaver when a sugar craving hits, and you don't want to cook.
You simply mix a few simple ingredients together in your favourite mug, pop the healthy mug cake in the microwave and in 1 minute - boom, you have a keto vanilla berry mug cake ready to enjoy.
The beauty of keto mug cakes is that you can enjoy an occasional sweet treat but without ruining your daily macros. It won't raise your blood sugars and it won't trigger sugar cravings.
Do I need a microwave to cook mug cakes?
I understand that many of you don't own a microwave or don't like using them.
You can still make the keto vanilla berry cake batter, but you will have to cook it in the oven.
Of course, it is no longer a 1-minute mug cake, and it becomes a 12-minute cupcake instead. But it can be done.
Simply bake at 180C/350F in a cupcake case or muffin tray.
To cook mug cakes in the air fryer you need to find a small baking dish or ramekin to fit inside your air fryer. There must be at least 1 inch on all sides to allow the heat to circulate evenly.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180C/350F.
- Place the butter in your small baking dish and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until completely melted.
- Make the mug cake following the recipe card below.
- Gently lower your baking dish onto the air fryer wire rack. Ensure there is plenty of space between the ramekin dish and the side of the basket.
- Cook for 10 minutes, depending on the size of your air fryer and the size of your ramekin or small baking dish.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
Why does the mug cake use coconut flour?
If you have been with me for a while then you know I love coconut flour. And if you are new here, remember to subscribe here and get a free copy of my Top 10 Low-Carb Recipes to get you started.
Coconut flour is a wonderful low-carb, keto, gluten-free flour. It is light, packed with fibre, easy to use, requires very little quantities and so ends up being a very affordable baking grain-free flour.
Can I use almond flour instead of coconut flour?
I do have this chocolate mug cake recipe that uses almond flour. It is absolutely delicious.
Low-carb baking guides
If you are new here, you may want to print a copy of the cooking conversion charts. You'll discover kitchen conversions for metric/imperial, tablespoon to ml, temperatures, and even international ingredient names. So no more guessing what a recipe needs.
- Ultimate Guide To Low-Carb Flours - which to use and when
- Ultimate Guide To Coconut Flour vs Almond Flour - why I am using both
- Gluten Free vs Grain Free - and why gluten-free junk, is still junk
Can I eat sugar-free dessert recipes all the time?
In the long term, we want to rely on sweet recipes less and less. And we want to use sweeteners, less and less. So why do we need sugar-free dessert recipes?
Because if I told you that you were never allowed a sweet treat ever again, most of you wouldn't even contemplate embarking on a keto or low-carb life!
Another reason for having amazing sugar-free recipes is so you may offer to bring a healthy sugar-free and low-carb dessert to a party or dinner party.
Because if you bring a keto or low-carb dessert, you are in control of the biggest source of sugar and carbs in a meal.
More 1-minute mug cakes
If you love this mug cake, you will absolutely adore my 1-minute low-carb mug cake - 4 ways. Yes, one recipe can easily be adapted to chocolate, lemon, berry or cinnamon swirl.
- Cinnamon swirl mug cake +VIDEO
- Low-carb mug cake with lemon curd centre + VIDEO
- Double chocolate chip mug cake + VIDEO
Egg-free mug cakes
If you're looking for a mug cake without eggs, you'll love my keto cheesecake mug cakes without eggs. They only take 1-minute to cook and you can choose strawberry, Nutella, pumpkin pie spice, or blueberry vanilla.
Each one is a single-serve healthy dessert so you will have instant portion control.
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Vanilla Berry Mug Cake Recipe
- Place the butter and cream cheese in your chosen mug. Microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds.
- Add the coconut flour, sweetener, vanilla, and baking powder. Mix well. Add the egg. Mix again
- Scrape down the sides of the mug, then press in 6 frozen raspberries into the cake batter.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1:20 seconds minute.
LOW-CARB STARTER PACK
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
These are my favourite dinner party desserts to share (links below):
- Whole orange flourless cake (no boiling or peeling)
- Walnut and brandy truffles - for the adults only
- Chocolate heaven cake - my go-to cake for all birthdays and celebrations
- Chocolate mint truffles - make them mini size and pop a toothpick in each one to stop messy fingers
- Chocolate lava cake made in the slow-cooker
- Key lime pie in the Instant Pot
- Berry cheesecake in the Instant Pot
- Low-carb cinnamon swirl mug cake