If you're after a quick and easy healthy sugar-free cake, then you need this low-carb mug cake.
It can be made in the microwave, oven and even your air fryer!
Scroll down and watch the quick cooking video to see how easy these low carb mug cakes really are. I even line up 3 mugs for my children and prepare all 3 at once for a super quick treat after school.
What are mug cakes?
Mug cakes are a single serving of a traditional cake but are made in the microwave in 1 minute. They can also be made in the oven or air fryer too.
These mug cakes are sugar-free, gluten-free, and lower carb.
If you're feeling peckish, you can have a cake ready and in your tummy in under 5 minutes! Now, what's not to love about that idea? And with only 5.1g net carbs, they're sure to become a staple treat when a cake emergency arises.
The recipe shown is for 1 large coffee cup size mug cake. If you prefer, you may divide the low carb mug cake mixture between 2 smaller cups but ensure you reduce the cooking time from 1 minute to 40-50 seconds. Cooking time will depend on YOUR microwave.
3 ways to cook
These low carb mug cakes are cooked in the microwave, and so because all of our microwaves are completely different, it may take a little experimentation to get the cooking time just right (so please don't come running back to me if yours was over/undercooked, I won't reply because I'll be busy eating mine 😉 ).
If you know your microwave is powerful, reduce the cooking time by a little and test the center. You can always add another 10 seconds or so but there is nothing worse than an overcooked, dry, and rubbery mug cake.
Do I need a microwave?
No, you can also cook mug cakes in the oven or in your air fryer. If you use the oven, you will have to choose a heat-proof small baking dish, large muffin tray, or ramekin.
Make the mug cake batter as shown in the recipe card then bake at 180C/250F for 15 minutes. Or until the center is cooked.
3: Air fryer
To cook mug cakes in the air fryer you need to find a small baking dish or ramekin to fit inside your air fryer. There must be at least 1 inch on all sides to allow the heat to circulate evenly.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180C/350F.
- Place the butter in your small baking dish and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until completely melted.
- Make the mug cake following the recipe card below.
- Gently lower your baking dish onto the air fryer wire rack. Ensure there is plenty of space between the ramekin dish and the side of the basket.
- Cook for 10 minutes, depending on the size of your air fryer and the size of your ramekin or small baking dish.
Serve your cooked chocolate mug cake with full-fat cream and low sugar berries for a real treat.
For adults only, you might like to pour a little brandy over them or add brandy to the whipped cream for a grown-up indulgence.
Low-carb baking guides
If you are new here, you may want to print a copy of the cooking conversion charts. You'll discover kitchen conversions for metric/imperial, tablespoon to ml, temperatures, and even international ingredient names. So no more guessing what a recipe needs.
Once you discover how easy it is to use low-carb flour such as almond flour and coconut flour, you can make delicious and healthy cookies, cakes, and even pies that are all sugar-free, gluten-free and tasty.
Please rate this recipe.
Low Carb Mug Cake Recipe
- Melt the butter in the mug in the microwave (or preheated air fryer).
- Add the almonds, cocoa and sweetener. Mix well.
- Add the egg and all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Cook in the microwave (see notes above) on HIGH for 1.5 minutes or until cooked in the centre.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries.
- For a grown up indulgence, add some brandy to the whipped cream or pour a little over the cooked mug cake.
- You can add cacao nibs for a little crunch.
- Each mug cake is quite large, so even try putting half the mixture into another mug and make 2 small ones and cook for 40-50 seconds depending on your microwave.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Have you seen my other low carb, sugar free, wheat free, gluten free cakes? All LCHF, Banting, HFLC and whole-food friendly.
- Chocolate swirl baked cheesecake - NEW cooking video just added
- Lemon cupcakes - for bite sized portion control
- Almond and orange flourless cake - see why I don't even bother peeling the orange!
- Chocolate Heaven Cake - the most downloaded cake on Ditch The Carbs (NEW video just added)
- Keto blueberry cheesecake squares - read why I serve these upside down
- Lemon cheesecake - no baking required, perfect for summer