My daughter has been trying to make perfect low carb mug cakes for ages (I think it's her excuse to cook something when she gets home from school). Mug cakes, for those who don't know, are a single serve cake made in a mug and cooked in the mug.
Scroll down and watch the quick cooking video to see how easy these low carb mug cakes really are. I even line up 3 mugs for my children and prepare all 3 at once for a super quick treat after school.
Low Carb Mug Cakes
If you're feeling peckish, you can have a cake ready and in your tummy in under 5 minutes! Now what's not to love about that idea? And with only 5.1g net carbs, their sure to become a staple treat when a cake emergency arises.
These low carb mug cakes are made in the microwave, and so because all of our microwaves are completely different, it may take a little experimentation to get the cooking time just right (so please don't come running back to me if yours was over/undercooked, I won't reply because I'll be busy eating mine 😉 ).
Give them a go. If you know your microwave is pretty powerful, reduce the cooking time by a little and test the centre. You can always add another 10 seconds or so but there is nothing worse than an overcooked, rubbery cake.Watch the easy NEW cooking video to see how to make simple low carb mug cakes.
The recipe shown is for 1 large coffee cup size mug cake. If you prefer, you may divide the low carb mug cake mixture between 2 smaller cups but ensure you reduce the cooking time from 1 minute to 40-50 seconds. Cooking time will depend on YOUR microwave.
Serve with full fat cream and berries for a real treat. Why not make a huge batch of them and serve on a tray warm to friends? Heck, even pour a little brandy over them or add brandy to the whipped cream for a grown up indulgence. Leave a comment below as to how you 'tweeked' my recipe.
Low Carb Mug Cakes - recipe
Low Carb Mug Cakes
- Melt the butter in the mug in the microwave.
- Add the almonds, cocoa and sweetener. Mix well.
- Add the egg and all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Cook in the microwave (see notes above) on HIGH for 1.5 minutes or until cooked in the centre.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries.
- For a grown up indulgence, add some brandy to the whipped cream or pour a little over the cooked mug cake.
- You can add cacao nibs for a little crunch.
- Each mug cake is quite large, so even try putting half the mixture into another mug and make 2 small ones and cook for 40-50 seconds depending on your microwave.
Have you seen my other low carb, sugar free, wheat free, gluten free cakes? All LCHF, Banting, HFLC and whole food friendly.
- Chocolate swirl baked cheesecake - NEW cooking video just added
- Lemon cupcakes - for bite sized portion control
- Almond and orange flourless cake - see why I don't even bother peeling the orange!
- Chocolate Heaven Cake - the most downloaded cake on Ditch The Carbs (NEW video just added)
- Keto blueberry cheesecake squares - read why I serve these upside down
- Lemon cheesecake - no baking required, perfect for summer